So What is the deal with Knitting SOCKS???

KnicKnac

Ladies

Maybe someday I will screw up the courage to try to KNIT some socks ,but it will probably be a long time til I'm up for that challenge.

I have crocheted for DECADES , and consider myself a pretty good crocheter . BUT ....... when I crochet baby booties , I don't know what I do wrong, but one of them turns out real small and cute and will fit a baby. The other one turns out big enough for ME . :lol

I don't know why this always happens, but something tells me if I can't CROCHET 2 baby booties to match, then I certainly couldn't KNIT 2 socks to match .

Maybe if one of you does the same thing, we could TRADE . If I wear size 8 shoes and you wear size 6, I'll mail you my size 6 sock, and you can mail me your size 8 .

Deal or No Deal ?:D

• 2 months later...

I love to knit socks. Probably the same reasons everyone else gave:

1. They are small and easily portable

2. You don't get bored. You are doing something a little different on each section as you move along.

3. NO SEAMS! Other than kitchenering the toe, nothing to sew up. I love DPNs and knitting in the round because I hate seaming

4. You can never have too many socks and there is always someone to give socks to

5. Small investment in yarn

Here is the only drawback to knitting socks....the second one! For some reason it is always harder to knit the second one if you have a short attention span like I do. Some people knit both together but I have never tried that.

I totally don't get it either, but the idea of knitting in the round with the magic loop interested me in its "other use" for making small circular items (doll clothes in particular) so I have instructions for socks in the round...I will never make a sock...not human size anyhow :) - I also don't get the deal with dishcloths either.....

I have two knitting projects going right now, but when I finish them, I'll be starting socks!! My Christmas list will include double-pointed needles(yes, Christmas list....my family starts asking early!!!)

The LYS I go to in Tuscaloosa AL has wonderful sock yarn for about $8.75. If you're interested in it, pm me.....

• 3 weeks later...
. I just wish that when I work w/ my dpns, they'd stay put instead of sliding out when I'm not working the side they're on...:think I have the point protectors, but they're too big for the smaller needles. :angry

What type of needles are you using? I have yet to try dpns but had te same issue with straight needles, I just started using bamboo. I love them. \They tend to stay on better.

I have been wanting to make socks and have practiced with my dpn's...they aren't as difficult to work with as I thought they would be.:)

My dilemma in actually making a pair of socks is finding a nice sock yarn that doesn't contain wool, which makes me itch like crazy.:( Thank you AmyS for the link to sock yarns at Little Knits. They have a non-wool blend for socks that I haven't seen before so I'm off to order some now!:yay

Tracey, I use rubber point protectors that work on any size needles. Maybe you can find something like that. In a pinch, you can use other items like a chunk of pencil eraser or a cork to stop stitches from sliding off the end.

Magic loop is using a an xtra large cable needle (the length of the cable not necessarily the size of the needle) to make smaller diameter things like socks, mittens, kids hats, toys so you don't have to use dpns. It can also be used to make sleeves and more.

You can see info here on magic loop for socks and a general video on magic loop here on knittinghelp.com

I really want to learn how to knit socks. When I visit blogs and see all the different designs and the colors I just want to make them too. I have my name on a list for a class in November I hope the store gets enough interest to hold the class.

I love knitting socks because they are the perfect portable project. I usually keep a sock going in my bag at all times. For all those little times that you get stuck waiting it's great to have something to work on.

Also now that I've been making socks I've found they are way more comfortable, warmer, and wear longer than store bought socks.

Hi, everybody. I'm a really novice knitter, and I think for me, once I can knit a pair of socks, I'll feel like I can finally call myself a "knitter". I'm not sure why I've set that goal for myself. I've bought the yarn and as soon as I clear up a few of my crochet projects I'm going to get started on a pair of knit socks!

Archived