So What is the deal with Knitting SOCKS???

KnicKnac

Why is it that this seems to be the end all of knitting, that everyone wants to learn how to make socks? Is it just the challenge?

I don't understand socks in general, so you have to bear with me. I grew up in a place where we wore slippers pretty much my entire life. I would wear slippers now if I could get away with it.

But why is there such a desire to learn to knit socks?

I think part of it is the challenge and how cool it looks if you use sock yarn and little dpns. Also, they are very portable and don't take forever to make. You can make slipper socks instead, they can be very similar in construction if you want to make them that way. One more thing I just thought of is that you can make socks in pretty wild colors if you want and not have to worry too much about what they go with.

Anyway, those are my ideas. I mainly made the first pair for the novelty and the challenge.

Linda Y

Ooooh....I love to knit socks....here in northern New York I wear a lot of socks, so it's great fun to make something that I could never find in the store. The feeling of accomplishment that I get when I finish the seconds sock is great! Plus, you sure get a lot of attention when knitting in public with a fistful of needles....everyone can't beleive it!

Socks are fun! There are so many different parts to them! If you get bored easily, right about the time you're getting bored with one part, you're ready to move on to another part.

They aren't difficult, either, once you already know how to knit, that is. I learned on 4 double pointed needles, did a couple on 5 dpns, then switched over to 1 32" circular needle. I love the circular needle method the best.

And there are so many yummy, beautiful yarns out there: solids, self-striping, patterned, just gorgeous stuff.

Some sock yarns can be expensive, relatively speaking, costing $18-25 for enough to make just one pair. But if you add up the number of hours it takes to make a pair, and you consider that as "cost of entertainment," your cost per hour is pretty minimal. For example, most socks still take me at least 20 hours per pair to make, so that's just about $1/hour for entertainment. MUCH cheaper than a trip to the movies with coke and popcorn!!!

Socks are also portable---very easy to carry around with you wherever you have to go. And when you ferry kids around, and have lots of waiting time while they finish their activities, you always have something to keep you busy!

And once you wear your first pair of perfectly-fitting hand-knit socks, then you'll KNOW why there's this craze!!!

Good gracious! Yarn for socks cost $25??? Well, if I get thru this basketweave scarf I am desperately trying to make I might consider socks...mind you, I said CONSIDER! :rofl

Good gracious! Yarn for socks cost $25??? Well, if I get thru this basketweave scarf I am desperately trying to make I might consider socks...mind you, I said CONSIDER! :rofl

:lol I hear ya KnicKnac!

Krystal

Well, not ALL of it! :devil Just some of it. You can also find some that's in the $12 per pair range. It all depends on what you want. And if you find a good sale!

Here's a site that usually has lots of good sock yarn at very good prices: Little Knits.

Some sock yarns can be expensive, relatively speaking, costing $18-25 for enough to make just one pair. But if you add up the number of hours it takes to make a pair, and you consider that as "cost of entertainment," your cost per hour is pretty minimal. For example, most socks still take me at least 20 hours per pair to make, so that's just about $1/hour for entertainment. MUCH cheaper than a trip to the movies with coke and popcorn!!!

Amy - that is a great way to look at the cost, I never thought of it that way. In fact, you could expand this to apply to all yarn, not just the sock yarn. I use crochet/knitting for entertainment and for relaxation and stress relief. I'm sure if I calculated the cost per hour of enjoyment and relaxation, it would be nothing compared to what a movie or a massage would cost.

I haven't knitted a pair of socks yet, I had started a pair a few days ago, but ripped them out tonight because I realized my gauge was way off and they were 3 inches bigger than they needed to be. So I'm going to have to start over with either smaller needles or less stitches.

Sock yarn is basically just fingering weight yarn that has been designed to use for socks. It can still be used for other things, of course, and you can use any fingering weight (or other weight) yarn for socks even if it's not called sock yarn.

A lot of wool yarn will have some polyamide or nylon mixed in with it to add strength so your socks don't wear out as easily.

You can check out my blog and scroll down through posts to see a bunch of the socks I made for Christmas gifts last year.

I also wondered what was the great attraction to knitting socks, so I decided to make a pair. Nothing fancy, just a basic ribbed cuff, etc. pattern I found at KPC. I enjoyed it immensely! I think the thing I most liked was the fact that they knit up fairly fast, and Like Amy said, once you are getting bored with a part, it's time to move on to the next. It's almost instant gratification, which, with knitting, is practically nonexisitent.

And yes, you can amaze and astound the non-knitters (muggles!) around you by clicking away with 4 or 5 needles at the same time! :lol

I haven't yet tried socks using 2 circulars or the magic loop method...that is on my list of things to do :D

As far as prices go, if you think of how much wear and tear a pair of socks gets, that can factor in your decision as well. Also I've found skeins for around the 5 to 7 dollar range (that's Canadian $$), so there are bargains to be had, and the pattern I used took less than one skein for a pair for me (small feet) and one and a half skeins for my hubby (big feet).

Boy, I saw some awesome sock yarn in the Fiber Factory in Mesa two weeks ago. I don't remember the brand, but they were bamboo and aloe vera. Aloe vera--so your feet would be soft wearing them. It was incredibly soft. It was also $18.75 for one skein. :eek Not the yarn to practice knitting socks on. ;) Patty

Boy, I saw some awesome sock yarn in the Fiber Factory in Mesa two weeks ago. I don't remember the brand, but they were bamboo and aloe vera. Aloe vera--so your feet would be soft wearing them. It was incredibly soft. It was also $18.75 for one skein. :eek Not the yarn to practice knitting socks on. ;) Patty

I know Austermann Step is made with aloe vera and jojoba oil infused into the yarn, which is supposed to last for 50+ washings. It is wonderful yarn! Your hands feel so good when you're done. There's a pair made from that yarn on my blog. I've got several skeins of this in my stash for upcoming socks!

Wow, you made a lot of socks Amy! I like how you managed to get the striping the same.:)

Getting the striping to match is a little time-consuming, but it's fairly easy.

If I'm working from one big skein, I just divide it into two, using my yarn winder to make a center pull ball, and a digital postal scale to make sure both skeins weigh the same.

Then I spend some time pulling out the right end of the yarn from both skeins until I find where they match up. Then I'll go ahead and create a slip knot in both skeins and attach both to needles, so I'm sure I'm starting each sock in the exact same place.

All this hooopla about knitted socks really makes me want to learn how to knit....so I can make some socks.

Although I am crocheting socks now..and they are a bit of a challenge, I can not imagine using 4 or 5 dpn's!

i just started my first pair of socks and this is my first knitted object. I think I might be in for some trouble but so far so good. HA

Wow, kudos to you for trying such a challenging first project! Really socks aren't that hard to do, there's just some fiddly parts that can seem confusing when you read the patterns. There's lots of help here and on the net though, so that's a plus!

Amy, I just love your thought process on socks. It's true! I do need some sweaters either crocheted or knit. I have enough socks really but I will likely over time make more than I need because crocheting and knitting is my entertainment!

I've finished my first sock and working on my second one for the pair as well. It will be my first major project knitwise as well. It is kind of fiddly but not overly difficult. I don't know if I would have done that right away or not if I had not crocheted socks before.

I don't wear socks as a rule. It's not easy wearing them here in southern california where it's warm/hot most of the year. Also, I love to walk around barefoot when I can get away with it.

But there is something appealing about sock knitting. Some people mentioned few reasons on this thread. The main thing that attract me to sock crocheting/knitting is the design and colors. This year, I decide to make socks with different designs, like lace, color changes, fair isle, etc. So I can create a wall rack with those socks hanging on the racks... It will be a conversation piece for sure!

I just wish I could find affordable sock yarn here in Columbus! We have 5-6 yarn stores, but the sock yarn is outrageous. I've been tempted just to double up on thread (size 3) and see how it works. I just wish that when I work w/ my dpns, they'd stay put instead of sliding out when I'm not working the side they're on...:think I have the point protectors, but they're too big for the smaller needles. :angry

Archived