picking up stitches

jura2908

I always pick up stitches with a crochet hook of the same mm size as the needle. It's so much easier to control where each stitch is being picked up and allows you to concentrate on getting them evenly spaced. Then as the hook gets about 10 stitches on it I slide them to the back and off onto the needle that I am going to continue knitting them with.

HTH!

:bounce

I also use the crochet hook to pick up the stitches. As for getting the right tension, the pattern will tell you how many sts to pick up, if it is a small edge, fold it into halves, and pick up half the number of sts from each half. If it is a longer edge, fold into quarters.

another thing i need to learn is how to pick up stitches. how do you make it so a neckline is not to tight or cuffs to loose. any tips are appreciated.

nadine

I use a bigger knitting needle initially when I pick up stitches (sometimes I use a crochet hook, but not usually), then switch to the hook size called for when I do a collar, or whatever is being added on. The pattern should tell you whether the right side should be facing as you do this, that is usually the case (in case it doesn't tell you that)

Archived