Crochet Hook Holders

In "Gadgets....", someone asked about what everyone uses for hook cases, and it reminded me of an idea I had a while ago while in a thrift store. In this particular store, they had bags of older jewelry gift boxes. You know, those hinges boxes for fancy jewelry like bracelets and necklaces? I was wondering if these same boxes can be 'recycled' into more useful purposes for, say, crochet hook cases? Usually, the interiors are in great shape and lined in a sort of velvet, velveteen, flannel, chenille, satin, or silk. However, the outsides can be pretty rough and a bit abused. If new covers were made for these boxes, would anyone consider using them? Granted, the hooks might have to be loose inside the boxes, but as long as the hinges are good, it shouldn't matter. What do you all think?

:think

I'm sure they would be great! I was using a ziploc baggie for the longest time and my hooks just rolled around in there. You could even recycle vintage, but worn table clothes, wallpaper, just about anything to cover the outside with....oooo the possibilities are endless!

Maybe you could secure it in there with some ribbon. Like sew it in and then tie a bow around the hook. So it would still look cute yet hold it in. I think this is a wonderful idea using those boxes.

Say you're making one for steel hooks...does anyone have ideas on how to secure them inside and keep them from rolling around?

I made a cloth hook "roll" and to secure my hooks in it, there's a pocket at the bottom and then I sewed some elastic across and then just sewed 'pockets' or loops into it kinda like: ___|___|___| all the way across. The elastic is big enough to hold a couple of hooks (or one big one) just enough so they don't get loose. I'm sure you could create a simmilar insert to add to the box. Wrap a piece of thin card stock in fabric, glue or stitch a piece of elastic across and then sew down the loops. I hope that made sense....

Archived