vintage hook question

DameErin

For some reason, I've got it in my mind that I want some vintage Bates bone hooks. I've been checking on ebay, and you don't see them that often. I just bid on a set, but they are discolored and the paint is scratched on the tips.

Is there such a thing as the perfect set, or am I looking for the Holy Grail, so to speak?

One more thing. I was thinking about buying a quicksilver too. Any recommendations on that as to whether it's a good idea or a bad one?

• 3 weeks later...
For some reason, I've got it in my mind that I want some vintage Bates bone hooks. I've been checking on ebay, and you don't see them that often. I just bid on a set, but they are discolored and the paint is scratched on the tips.

Is there such a thing as the perfect set, or am I looking for the Holy Grail, so to speak?

One more thing. I was thinking about buying a quicksilver too. Any recommendations on that as to whether it's a good idea or a bad one?

You are looking for the Holy Grail in Bates bone hooks but don't give up. I have a lot of Bates bone hooks in my collection but only a couple of full sets. I have very few that I consider pristine the others show the signs of wear. I have been collecting hooks since 1990 and have only seen a couple of pristine sets on Ebay unfortunately for me they sold for more than I could afford. But keep looking, half the fun is the search. In addition to eBay, try local antique and thrift stores in your area, you may get lucky.

All though I have a lot of Bates hooks in my collection, I rarely actual use them. When I do, I prefer my vintage quicksilver hooks. The teflon coating helps them glide through the yarn. So try them too, I think you will like them if you like Bates hooks.

Good luck on your search, I'm pulling for you.

I have a bone hook that belonged to my great-grandmother that was handed down to me by my mother who I believe also used the hook. There is no coating on it. There is also no brand name on the hook nor is there a size. I'm only mentioning it because you may want to look for those as well.

I have some Bates bone hooks which were at the bottom of a knitting needle holder given to me by someone who didn't want it. I don't know what to do with the knitting things yet.... But the surprise bone hooks hidden away are beautiful.

I have seen them at antique shops and estate sales.

I still keep checking ebay. We really don't have a lot of estate sales around here, and only one antique mall. I try to keep a check there, but I've only seen completed items. That sort of makes me sad, but that's another post.

I usually have good luck running across things that I want, so I'm going to be patient, which is hard for me, since my middle name is "instant gratification".

ETA: How many hooks are in the complete set?

TIA

There are 6 hooks in a set. Sizes 1 - 6 with one the smallest and 6 the largest.

ETA: How many hooks are in the complete set?

TIA

Archived