New Hampshire sheep and Wool festival

monkeybabies

Gina,

Thanks for posting about this festival. I think I will rearrange my work schedule so I can go! It has animal shows, so it should be pretty child friendly, although I don't know how my kids would tolerate me oohing and aahing at yarn exhibitors...

I'm planning to attend the Sheep and Wool festival in Maryland - May 5 & 6. Im also taking my 2 year old. I think it will be alot of fun for her. Im pretty sure there will be plenty of things for her to do and see.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know a thing about it never been to a festival like this before but I would think it is pretty child friendly. If the have animals to see and maybe pet. I wish I could go. I plan to attend a Farm Fest in my area in Sept held by Rising Meadow Farm its the 2nd Sat in Sept. It sounds like a lot of fun with live music and vendors. http://www.risingmeadow.com I wish I could find some nice day trips to a few yarn fest's in NC.

I've been reading about the NH S&W Festival on the internet and it sounds great! I'll be there this Saturday. I promise to report back with all the details!

I read about that. I probably won't be there at the crack of 9 am, but I'll do what I can! I've got two kids and a spouse to get out of bed who are used to sleeping in on Saturday, so my work's cut out for me!

I'll report back with full detail!

Oh boy!!!! I just found out that I am going too! I am sooooooo excited as this is my first sheep and wool festival! I am visiting my grandmother in Concord, NH...and just went to map quest and figured out it is only 22 minutes away. I have no excuse not to go. I am looking foward to it!

P.S...Crocheting fool...I do not know of any hotels in the area...I guess your best bet is to go on map quest...and plunk in the address of the fairgrounds....and there will be an option to view local hotels.

Manchester is the closest city, so you'd probably have the best luck there. I imagine there are hotel/motel chains there that you can try. Maybe you can get a last minute deal! Good luck!

Manchester is too far, there are smaller inexpensive hotels and motels closer by... 411.com and search... I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'll be there on Sunday with my two kids! Been looking forward to this for months! Can't wait! I just hope all the good stuff isn't gone by then!

Oh boy did I have a good time. I really did. It was fun looking at all the sheep, lama's. alpaca's and angora rabbits. I watched people spin, dye wool, and weave. It was a blast. I also bought a Brittany crochet hook, some yarn, and little tiny sheep made out of wool and pipe cleaners (the kids loved them) I really wanted a drop spindle...but I did not have enough cash on me...so I made a promise that if I was still into the craft as much as I am now next year, then I will buy one. There was this beautiful silk and angora hand dyed yarn, but it was $30 a hank. There was a ton of rolving or fleece (I think that is what it is called). I am glad I went. Did anyone else enjoyed it as much as me???

I went yesterday, too! It was a beautiful day for the Sheep & Wool Festival. I understand that last year they had tons of rain. It was a blast! I saw yarn in every stage of its creation! There were many, many vendors there selling all kinds of nice yarn and everything possibly connected to it, hooks, needles, spindles, spinning wheels, notions, books and on and on!

I saw a woman who was walking and knitting! And more who were sitting and knitting. Many people spinning, too. I would love to learn to spin, even more so after going to the festival.

My family enjoyed seeing the dog trials and the herding dog demos. The Farm Museum is located on the fairgrounds. This is a great little museum with some hands on activities. My kids loved the hand pump that actually brought up water and a big piece of equipment that was a treadmill used to generate power for tools. The kids got to walk on it and turn the wheel. My kids dragged us back there three more times during the course of the day. We watched a sheep shearing demonstration. It's amazing how the sheep becomes docile once the shearer has the animal's head up and its feet in the air.

It was interesting to see the different breeds of sheep, the llamas and alpacas and the occasional angora bunny. They had craft activities for children, and also a petting zoo at the beginning of the day, so anyone who wanted to know if the festival is child-friendly, the answer is a resounding yes!

I had a great time! If you can get there today, I highly recommend it!

My littles and I went and it was perfect! What a wonderful Mother's Day we had! Beautiful weather and lots of fun stuff to explore. I took a ton of pictures and uploaded them to my flickr. Feel free to check them out!

I made out like a bandit! I bought a huge bag of raw black alpaca fleece for five bucks! It needs to be cleaned and carded before I can spin it, and I can't wait!

I also won a hank of beautiful red and orange silk roving(I'm not realy sure what it is, there wasn't a label). It's soooo soft and has a beautiful sheen.

We can't wait for next year!!!

:c9

Hey Twinnish...did you buy anything?

Other than fair food, I didn't buy anything, not that there was a shortage of nice things to buy there!

Hi, I went to a Festival before but it was smaller than this one. Boy oh boy did I have fun!! I bought some roving and a newer (I think anyway) Locker Hook and Rug Canvas to do with the roving. Looked so interesting and calming to do! I watched the spinning on the Big Wheel and Needle Felting Demo. Oh We did stay at Fairfield Inn at Concord, NH. (Fire Alarm went off at 6:30 am on Sunday after we alked and was pooped out from Saturday all day)..The dog hearding the sheep was so amazing to watch also!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived