Not really teaching, but it's a start...

Last night, as I was sitting in my favorite rocking chair, crocheting (rocking chair & crocheting...makes me sound "mature", doesn't it? :heehee ), and my 15-yo daughter, who was sitting on the couch, asked to see my red hook. Yeah, right. Like she thought I was going to let her touch it. :hook (Okay, okay...I let her touch it...I'm not that stingy with my crochet things...) I told her she could, but she had to touch the yarn, too, so I gave her a big ol' skien of it in a neutral color. She fumbled around with it, so I showed her how to make the beginning loop, then how to start a chain. About 10 chains into it, she was ready for something else, so I told her to chain about 20 more and I'd show her how to sc, so she did. Then she did a row of sc-stitches before getting tired of it. I told her when she wanted to learn more, to let me know, and I'd even let her play with the pretty yarn instead of the off-white I gave her to begin with it.

I don't know if this will lead to her wanting to learn more or not, but it's a start. She and I actually both started learning at the same time, a little over a year ago, and she picked up on the chain and sc quicker than I did, but over time, she just forgot it, while I pursued it. Crochet is now just part of who I am, and I'm hoping eventually, she'll get into it as well.

But for now...I know her--and I know she'll do anything to get out of going to bed...lol. :wink

Archived