I really wish someone had told me this when I started knitting...

ChainOFools

I've been knitting a little over a year now. When I first started I went out and bought all types of needles, straights, circulars, double points, etc. as I took on new projects and needed the different sizes or types. I just assumed they were all different, somehow, otherwise why would the patterns call for all these different types? I also remember thinking why couldn't there just be standard sizes, like with crochet hooks...so now I have a bunch of different needles of the same size, but different types such as circular, straight, DPNs, you get the picture.

I realized fairly quickly after I obtained all these different needles that the wisest thing I could have done would have been to initially purchase all circular needles...you can knit back and forth on circs--you can even do small in the round knitting on them if you use the magic loop method...plus they are inifinitely easier to carry around than two great long sticks, you just wind them up and pop them in a bag. Also, I have found working on circulars you can spread your project out better if there is a high stitch count, rather than having it all crowded up on a straight needle. I do know some knitters who won't knit on anything BUT circulars, probably for these reasons.

So, if I could impart any advice on the beginner knitter, or those who are thinking of becoming beginner knitters, it would be to just buy circular needles...probably the best set I've seen is the needlemaster, which has different sized cables and needles that are all interchangeable...it's pricey, but I bet if I added up all the money I've spent on different types of needles it would still be a better deal.

Just sharing my :2c

Happy knitting and crocheting :D

Sometimes it's easier to teach someone with straight needles before having them branch out onto the cable needles. I know this first hand.

lindamry; I don't know if they have changed the design on those Denise Needles or not, but my mother had gotten me a set when I was twelve. I hated those things. The needles kept twisting apart from the cables. I have always recommended that anyone getting serious about knitting invest in the kit from Boye. It's this one: Boye Needle Master . I'm actually looking at getting one of these myself since I have their set from many, many moons ago (my mother had a set that had gotten lost between her death and my marriage-- but found a complete set in a yard sale just like her's and believe it or not, I'm still using it today.) Though I should see if I can either get some replacement parts or just go ahead and get the new set.

And for those knitters that know what I'm talking about, this set starts with size 5 needles, while the newer sets start with size 2-- now how is that for old???:eek

Thank you for the advice!! I tried yesterday, for the first time, to learn to cast on. I sytill can't do it!! I am going to be scouring YouTube for vids, I think if I can see it done,,,t may help me more.

I am also "pro" circulars. I have the boye set (they need to be tightened too frequently for my taste) denise interchangeable set (needle tips "undo" themselves from the cables) and my favorite thus far, knitpicks.com's options set. As for cast on, or any other technique you are not comfortable yet with, there are videos on http://www.knittinghelp.com that can help you, they have both continental and English style videos for most of their videos. Also, http://www.knitty.com has great knitting how to articles and free patterns.

Kiki, I have come to pretty much the same conclusion as you have regarding circulars. However, I don't know that as a beginning knitter I would have heeded that advice. I knitted for many years before it "came to me". And as Kitty and others said, when teaching someone to knit I have tried both with circulars and straights and they seem to be better able to "grasp" knitting when they are holding straights. They tell me that it scares them that the needle tips are so short on the circulars.

I was actually afraid of trying dpns for many years (which is the reason it took me so long to attempt socks) and now I just want to kick myself for wasting all that time.

I've never tried Denise, but I have 2 sets of the Boye, which may sound excessive, but it really isn't because I have a bad habit of having way too many WIPs. My dream is to own the Bamboo Sisters set, since I truly love my bamboo circulars.

I agree about the circular thing. I HATE knitting on the long needles. For some reason it bothers me and I feel I have less control.

I love bamboo needles. I can't stand the plastic ones, and the metal one just seem to feel like I don't have enough control over the stitches. The bamboo are perfect for me.

I have been knitting for years and I prefer the straight to the circular for teaching someone to knit. The circular are a little wonky and have a tendency to twist on you.

I have the boyle and also found that they have to be tightened quite a bit. If not, the yarn will get caught in the space between the needle and the plastic.

I use the circular for large projects like Faire Isle sweaters and afghans. It is easier to handle a large project with circular needles than straight.

The main thing to remember with needles, is that they come in different lengths, so you get the size in length and needle you need.

Besides they make great back scratchers.:rofl

As for casting on Riohnna, it just takes practice.:hook

I agree with the straight needle people. I have both, but I prefer the straights since there's more to grip. Of course, Ihave my mom's complete set of needles given to her by my aunt, so even if I didn't like them, I'd use them just for the sentimental value. There are needles in there my grandmother bought in England sometime between 1948-1952, when they lived there. I even do baby afghans on straights, although a big afghan would certianly be easier on circulars.

I am afraid of DPNs and haven't worked up the gumption to try them yet. But in that set are several different sized DPNs my dad, a machinist, made my mom. Talk about sentimental! Patty

It's interesting to read everyone's opinions on the needles!

You made a valid point about brand new knitters learning on the straights though...I agree it seems to help some newbies if they 'anchor' that right needle between their arm and body to get the hang of it at first, you would need the long straights for that.

Give me the convenience and portability of the circulars anyday now though :D

I appreciate everyone's opinions on circular needles vs. straight needles for those who are just learning. Sure gives me food for thought. I'm brand new to knitting. I don't have any circular needles yet, but I think I'll stick to the straight needles for now.

I'm working on circs right now making the HP scarf and I really like it. I'm knitting in the round rather than back and forth.

My preference so far for needles are the clover bamboo. My mom really likes the knitpicks interchangeable ones, she says they are great.

:cheer I am one of the Circular Brigade and actually gave away all of my straight needles, well almost all, I kept one size 12 metal needle for testing cakes in the oven.

If I do have to help someone with their knitting on straight needles, I keep dropping the empty needle when I finish a row and go to turn for the next.

With the circular, you just drop the end of the needle and tur and pick up the end again and off you go.

Great when you are doing a large number of stitches because there is no weight on your hands and you can spread your knitting out to see what you have done so far.

I am all for teaching people to knit on them from the beginning because whatever they are doing it will feel awkward to start with.

I hold my knitting with the left hand on top of the needle and the right hand needle sits in the gap betwen my thumb and index finger and I hold the yarn over that finger and just flick it to knit.

A very quick and easy on the hands method of knitting.

I watched an episode of Knitty Gritty on Sunday night and I could not believe how some of the ladies were knitting. They lookd to me like they were unpicking rather than knitting. They did not look relaxed at all and I think knitting should be relaxing.

Even the expert had a "funny" way of doing her purl stitch because she wound the yarn over the needle in the "wrong" direction then she needed to knit into the back of the stitches on the next row to untwist them.

After all of this rambling, what I am really saying is, get rid of all the needles you dont need and relax and enjoy your circulars.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

:cheer I am one of the Circular Brigade and actually gave away all of my straight needles, well almost all, I kept one size 12 metal needle for testing cakes in the oven.

:rofl :rofl :rofl LOL, good use for it!

Wow, I think I'm an experienced beginner then. This is the 4th month since I first touched a pair of knitting needles and I've knitted straight, circular, and dpns! I like them all, although dpns tends to consume more time. The circular is very fast to knit, esp in the round. I use cheap Boyle needles for now but am planning to buy Options needles from Knitpicks. I've heard they are good needles.

I tried the magic loop method before but somehow got lots of gaps between the round. That was why I purchased the dpns (I tried to avoid using dpns like leech!)

Well, I've got the cast on and the knit down pat. I just cant seem to grasp the purling part. I can do it maybe a couple of times and then I dont know WHAT happens.

I'm also having a problem with dropped stitches. How do I correct this?

....not to mention i'm having a terrible time with my yarn being strangled on the kneedle and I cant get the other needle into the stitch because its so darn tight.! I guess I'm too tense.

I've never tried circular needles and I dont have any. I guess I need to get some and try on those to see if I have any better luck.

Krystal

Well, I've got the cast on and the knit down pat. I just cant seem to grasp the purling part. I can do it maybe a couple of times and then I dont know WHAT happens.

....not to mention i'm having a terrible time with my yarn being strangled on the kneedle and I cant get the other needle into the stitch because its so darn tight.! I guess I'm too tense.

I've never tried circular needles and I dont have any. I guess I need to get some and try on those to see if I have any better luck.

Krystal

You're not alone, FuzzyFerret. I'm right there with you with the same problems. :eek

Krystal

Krystal, I found purling very awkward at first, too...you'll get the hang of it!

As far as dropped stitches go, believe it or not, you can actually pick them back up with, of all things, a crochet hook! :lol It takes a bit of practice, and it's far easier to pick up a knit stitch rather than a purled stitch (I usually just turn the work around and pick it up from the back for a purl, that way it's like picking up a knit stitch) They have a demo video on knitting help here...she does it the hard way, someone should tell her about crochet hooks! :hook

If your cast on stitches are too tight, you can try casting on with a larger needle. Your tension will improve in time, don't worry.

I started knitting on circulars. When my SIL taught me that's what she had me buy. I bought straights after that, but hate them. I only use circular needles. I bought the Boye set but when Knitpicks came out with Options, I sold the Boye and I'm glad I did. I never really liked them. Options are smooth and fast and the cable is nice and thin. I also have the Denise set but don't really care for the resin needles. :)

I still need to cast on to a larger needle sometimes and purling just takes practice. It took me forever to really get it and even so, it takes me twice as long on a purl side than the knit side.

I prefer circulars to straights as well, it's easier on my wrists and I find them easier to hold closer together when working the stitches. I haven't really built up my supply of needles yet since I've only been knitting for a few months now.

But I'm hoping to purchase a set of the KnitPicks Options soon. Actually I'm keeping them as an incentive. Since I'm trying to lose weight, I've told myself that I can purchase them once I've lost 15 pounds. It's good motivation for me. :)

I just started my first sock and this is my first attempt with DPNs. It's still a little bit uncomfortable as I haven't found the best way to hold them for me yet. But I know that just like it was when I first started knitting, I'll eventually find a position and a rhythm that works for me and it will begin to feel like second nature.:yes

Archived