Sock KAL

lindamry

OK, since no one else will do it I guess I will. . . Don't be afraid of the double-pointed needles! They look harder and more impressive than they are. Which is cool if there's someone who needs impressing with your craftorial expertise!

You can use any sock pattern you like, but here is the one I used for my one set of knitted socks: http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=292. If you are not already a member of the Bernat site you'll need to become one, it's free. The pattern was fairly easy. Here's a link to a picture of my socks.

Or, here's one from Lion Brand: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kmstripe-socks.html. I haven't tried that one so I don't know how good it is. Lion Brand's site is also a free membership site.

If you like to have too many choices, go to knitting central's directory: http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/socks.php. There's about a zillion different sock patterns there.

As usual, KnittingHelp.com has great videos to help out with using dpns as well as using two circulars or one circular. This page also has other videos that may be helpful for budding sock knitters. http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/

Here's a nice article at Knitty about toe-up socks: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATtiptoptoes.html. I think I'll try this method this time.

One of the things to learn with socks is short-row knitting. Basically, knit the pattern as stated, even though when you knit the heel it will have you stop in the middle of the rows and turn. This really confused me at first. Here is a blog entry (not my blog) with several helpful links: http://www.knitwerk.com/archives/2005/10/28/short-rows-links-and-tutorials.

If anyone has questions as we go along, be sure to speak up. With all the smart C'villers here I'm sure we'll come up with answers. . .

So get out there and get your yarn and needles! :knit

Linda Y

I'm in! I'm working on a pair now (have been for a while)

I've got one done, but momentum has died since it left my needles. I can use the extra push here! (Oh, I can post pics soon too)

-RCS

Count me in. I just learned to knit a few months ago and feel that I'm finally ready to try some sock knitting. I'm planning on using the basic sock pattern from Lion Brand and have some Moda Dea Magic Stripes yarn to make them with.

Crochetingnetta-how are the dpn's working for you?

Chenille-what yarn and what size needles are you using? Can we see a picture of the one you have finished?

Bookchick-welcome to the KAL! Are you going to make the socks for yourself or someone else?

I'm finishing up a crochet project and then I'll dig out my yarn and my dpns (inherited from my Grandma).

Linda Y

Linda - I'm making them for me. Since it's my first pair, I figured I'd experiment and then just keep them for myself. Once I feel more comfortable with making them, then I'll branch out into gifts.

This is also my first time using dpns. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the laddering and gaps that appear between the needles. I searched on the internet and found some suggestions that I tried - I've tried pulling extra tight on the last and first stitches on each needle, but that still wasn't helping. Last night I started knitting 2 extra stitches from the next full needle after the empty one was finished, rather than keeping the same stitches on each needle, it constantly changes the stitches that are being knit over the gaps. This seems to be working the best so far, but it's a little fiddly to knit the 2 stitches since both needles are full.

Just wondering if anyone has any other tips that they use to get rid of these gaps.

I'd like to join, this, too. I'll be using this pattern, since they seem fairly easy. They only use 2 straight needles, too, which is good, since I don't own a single set of dpn's, lol.

Could I really do this if I've only just figured out to knit? I've completed on knitted dish cloth! I'm working on a scarf. I have made crocheted socks so I understand construction of socks.

I would want to use two circs I think.

Robynbird-Welcome to the KAL. Are these the first socks you've made? How old is your son? Do you have a picture of the first one?

Bookchick-One of the things I found was that once you're done making the sock those gaps will go away on their own as you stretch the socks to put them on or when you wash them. I had some of that going on with my socks and it just went away!:)

Antara-That is a very interesting pattern, I haven't seen anything like it before! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished and in-process socks. What kind of yarn are you using?

Sammimag-I'm not sure if you want to tackle socks quite yet or not. You might want to try a hat or something like that that is straight circular knitting first. I guess it depends on how patient you are and how much of a challenge you want.

Linda Y

Well I have ordered my sock yarn and dpn (since my LYS doesn't have anything smaller than an 8). When they get here I'm all in for knitting my first pair of socks :D

I have a feeling if I can get good at this I will be making a bunch for DD and DH :knit

Well... I'm back to square 1 on my socks. I had gotten about 3-4 inches into them and realized that they looked a little big, so I got out the measuring tape and realized they were 3 inches bigger than they should be. Seems that my gauge changed as I got more comfortable with knitting on the dpns.

So I'm going to have to start over. I'm just trying to decide if I want to use the same needle size since this is the only set of dpns I have, and just cast on fewer stitches. Or do I want to go buy a new set of dpns that are smaller. I leaning toward buying the new set of dpns because the ones I currently have are 3s and I think I'm going to want smaller ones for the future if I keep making socks. Also, these are a little long for socks and slightly cumbersome.

I think I'll head to the store Saturday and just see what they have and make a decision then, so my socks are on hold for the time being. But don't worry, I'm not going anywhere because I definitely want to knit some socks :D

Sorry it took me so long to post. Been busy with school and life...

Here's a picture of my first sock.

P4210125.JPG

I used this pattern:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTuniversalsock.html

Microspun yarn, size 8 needles (I think). I still need to get started on sock #2!

Oh! and I wanted to use this smiley in the proper context: :knit

I know how to knit in the round or I just learned working on the HP scarf but I'm just not done with it yet. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I have started a pair, well one sock. If it doesn't fit I'll treat this all as a learning experience. I had to start over a few times but each time I'm learning something new.

I'm following this pattern here which works like a tutorial. If I don't understand what she says I go to knittinghelp.com

I was afraid of dpns but it's not as bad as I thought. It's fussy for me at lease but not overly difficult.

I got my sock yarn and DPN's in teh mail yesterday :clap

So last night I sat down and started :knit on my very first pair of :socks.

I'm using Lion Magic stripes in the Bright Spring Pattern and I'm just using the free pattern printed on the inside of the lable.

I did a gauge swatch and the #3 DPS were just too big so I switched to the #2 and it seem's to be working out fine. I worked for about 2 hours last night and got 2 1/2" done on the first one :woo

see!

101_0854.jpg

Actually it was quite fun and I can't wait to sit down and work on them. Must hurry with my work today so I can play :yay

I found a great tutorial in the current issue of CRAFT: magazine (the one with felted fruit on the cover) about making your own mini cord dpns. Basically taking bamboo circulars that have tubing (not cord) like cheaper ones you can get on ebay, and shortening them. It is supposed to be better for not slipping out of your work.

I will try to post a pic soon. I only had size 6's to do it with but I made three out of that one. I ordered some 0's, 1's and 2's to shorten.

Anyway, the point being that I am excited to use them on socks. This will be my first pair of knitted socks, and I am so glad to join this sock-along so that I can get through this with help!! I crocheted a pair, but that didn't teach me anything about gussets, and all those other weird sock words.

They're done, my first pair of socks. I made lots of mistakes. I couldn't figure out the grafting stitch at all for the toes until the last sock I think I did some of right.

I missed the instructions that said to decrease one round , knit one round for the gusset so I didn't do that. The second sock I forgot that I did do that for the toe shaping on the first sock but just kept decreasing around on the 2nd sock so it kind of short.

I am still pleased I knit my fist pair of socks.

473830852_6cb627b62c_m.jpg

#3 dpns and baby yarn I had in my stash. I broke one of the needles too. I am not going to say I broke my first needle 'cause I don't want to set a precedent.

Hi there. This Kal looks fun. I bought a magic loop booklet a long time ago, and lost it. I tried the technique but got distracted by other things. I finally bought another last week. First, I decide to crochet some socks to understand sock structure better. Later on, when I feel ready, I will jump in.

Hi guys!

Sorry I've been Missing in Action.

Anyway, in an effort to catch up:

Chenille4-Love your blue sock! It looks pretty and comfy. How's number two coming?

Bookchick29(Tiffany)-Did you get your new dpn's yet? Have you restarted your socks?

Angie-Those are going to be nice looking socks! How are they coming?

StormyAutumn-I'm looking forward to seeing those mini-cord dpns! I can't quite picture it in my head. I may have to look for the magazine.

Samantha-those socks look great! :clap They look soft. Are you going to make another pair?

Robyn-how's that second sock coming?

Tahlara-thanks for checking in! I hope you can join us soon!.

Well, I'm finally off to find my sock yarn and dpns. . . Hopefully I'll have something to show next week.

Linda Y

Samantha-those socks look great! :clap They look soft. Are you going to make another pair?

Yep, I've got another one on the the needles. I started them today in fact. I'm following the same tutorial, this time using sock weight yarn and boye #1 dpns. I'm going to like aluminum dpns best the yarn slides easily and I'm not holding the needles too tightly, although getting started was tricky. I did a short bit of ribbing and I'm knitting the rest of the leg 'cause the yarn I have is kind of splitty and straight knitting is easier.

I am so addicted to socks.

Archived