Fat Bottom Bag DISASTER! Phew..Corrected! = )

Cranky Crocheter

Question

I found ther PERFECT yarn the PERFECT handles and the PERFECT lining for my HH Fat Bottom bag.. Had some problems but I thought I worked them out... After I lined the bag and compleated the handles, I realized that the bad DID NOT WORK!! My sides are WAY to big... My increase or my decrease must have been the culprit and I don't know how I did it! I thought I was going to sew up the seams somehow?!?!

I literally just finished crying...

Can I salvage this?

th_FB1003.jpg

th_FB1002.jpg

th_FB1001.jpg

I am so discouraged:(

20 answers to this question

LMAO.... cranky crocheter... i don't mean to laugh, well i mean i'm not laughing AT you, but you've been cracking me up LOL. it's bad enough that i totally love your username and that little guy licking the screen is hilarious, i think i've read EVERY POST that you've written about having trouble with the fat bottom and i don't know why but it's funny LOL. i sure hope you appreciate your purse when you're finished lmao!

other funny thing is, a lot of the things you got stuck on, were my problems too lol, so i'm kinda just following u around and reading what people tell you to do LOL.

o cool!!!! now i have TWO people on crochetville with lil pics that crack me up!!!!

....now i'm wondering how many times i must've mistaken her for you, cranky.... LOL.

your bag came out cute, don't fret!! enjoy it!!!! i still have like half mine to do... i'm being such a lazy crocheter yet i've been ordering and buying yarn like CRAZY this week...

Well, if you run into any problems you will know who NOT to ask, me :eek lol. I am already thinking about a bulky weight bigger one... on no!

As for confusing me for her, she is the one with all the beautiful compleasted items and I am the one asking all the questions, lol...

Thanks!

o cool!!!! now i have TWO people on crochetville with lil pics that crack me up!!!!

....now i'm wondering how many times i must've mistaken her for you, cranky.... LOL.

your bag came out cute, don't fret!! enjoy it!!!! i still have like half mine to do... i'm being such a lazy crocheter yet i've been ordering and buying yarn like CRAZY this week...

Your purse turned out gorgeous. I feel your pain. I get so frustrated sometimes with patterns !!! I also ditto about getting help here. There has always been someone to help me dig out !! I should warn you though, those bags are sooooooooooooooo addictive !! I'll bet it's not the last one you make !

Oh no! I'm sorry that the FBB was such a trauma for you!

When I first started the pattern, it just baffled me as well. I have problems starting a project when I don't understand everything before I begin. I got out my magnifiying glass to peer at the stitching in the book, and that's when I realized that you worked it side-to-side rather than up, down, and around :).

I'm glad you got it figured out! That really is a beautiful yarn and lining! And now you know for next time LOL!

It seems like for every stress like this one, it really does make you stronger for the next challenge! And your afghan in the baby thread is GORGEOUS!!

LMAO.... cranky crocheter... i don't mean to laugh, well i mean i'm not laughing AT you, but you've been cracking me up LOL. it's bad enough that i totally love your username and that little guy licking the screen is hilarious, i think i've read EVERY POST that you've written about having trouble with the fat bottom and i don't know why but it's funny LOL. i sure hope you appreciate your purse when you're finished lmao!

other funny thing is, a lot of the things you got stuck on, were my problems too lol, so i'm kinda just following u around and reading what people tell you to do LOL.

I am so glad that I can amuse you, what? Am I a clown? Do I make you laugh? haha lol I guess I got the name when every single one of my projects was exactly that, a project! so I became cranky.. all the time! But with the help of EVERYONE here.. I manage! I guess I crochet vicariously through everyone Also, I have to give credit where credit is due... sulene (misspelled) actually made the avatar and I found it on the web and thought it did me justice...and it does.

Believe me, I still have questions about the bag even after I finished it last night... why is it so small? Did I decrease right? arg.. sometimes I need to write out each row line by line so I can see the proper stitch count, although I know that it goes up by 2, it help to cross it off on a piece of paper! OK.. enought blabbering for me...

PS: I have A LOT more on the hook so stay tuned for more temper tantrumes!

I started to make the same mistake. I read the directions but thought I was misreading them. Most bags do fold up... most I have done. Fortuantely it was just about the time someone posted the link to the how to line the bag. THen all was made clear.

Isn't this forum WONDERFUL!

:whew OK... I am breathing now! Yes, I did do it like I was continuing on with the stitches, on the short end. I was wondering why I was not getting the correct amount of stitches for the hendle flaps! OK....

I will frog what I just did and continue on with the flaps on the long side! Thanks for coming to my rescue:applause

phew.... close one... I was on the phone with my BF and just got VERY cranky with him for no reason! I am going to call him now to appologize.

Thank you!

knicnac is right! your bag is going to be fabulous. fold it the other way so it is laying longways. as you start attaching it to the handles, it will bunch up into pleats. you are doing fine!:clap

In looking closer at your last picture, it looks like you did the finishing touches to the small edges instead of the long edges...

Under the handle flap section of the book it says:

ROW 1: with RS of bag facing working across ROW END sts on one side edge join A in first row end st, c1....

Important thing to remember is that it says ROW END - you did it as if you were continuing the stitches you were doing...am I making sense?

Ok sweetie, don't panic.

You are folding the bag the wrong way...please look at this:

http://crochetkel.blogspot.com/2006/10/sew-you-wanna-line-your-fat-bottom-bag.html

You fold the bag NOT so that the two SMALL edgings are together, but that the two BIG edgings are together. And your not really finished yet...You still have the whole last rows that attach to the handles to do. Just to let you know, the rows will be going UP AND DOWN (vertical) instead of SIDE TO SIDE (horizontal).

Actually, your bag is PERFECT.

PM me if you need help in understanding.

Archived