Fewer yarn snobs among crocheters?

uplate6674

Maybe it's just the knitting forums I go to, but it seems like far fewer crocheters are 'yarn snobs' (only use high-end yarn and disdain anything low-priced).

Maybe it's because crochet takes up so much more yarn - it's less affordable that way?

Or maybe it's just that Crochetville is just totally cool that way - I don't see anyone here badmouthing others' yarn choices.:yarn

Has anyone else noticed this?

We've gone through this discussion several times and my opinion is that we just like all kinds of yarn. It doesn't matter how much it cost, but is it easy to clean and will it last.

It sure is nice to use a high end yarn for a baby blanket, but come on what new mother has the time to hand wash a blanket. Hey give them something that can be thrown in the washer and dryer.

But basicly, it is just a matter of choice and we are such a happy group, we praise someone who uses and makes something with high and low end yarn.

It seems we have to fight the world to let them know we are here, why fight each other over the choice of yarn. We are the guy in the back, jumping up and day and waving our arms to get noticed.:jumpyay

I agree, it seems to me that crocheters are less likely to be yarn snobs. It could very well be because we go through yarn faster when we crochet than when we knit. Not only does crochet take more yarn for the same item, I crochet much faster than I knit so I make more items.

Linda Y

The quality (and price) of the yarn I use totally relys upon teh item I am making and who I am making it for.

I use the less expensive and easier to clean types for afghans, baby items, scarfs and mittens and hats. The type of yarn taht is easy to wash and dry without a second thought.

As for sweaters and some dressier scarves and hats I will use nicer (pricier) yarns and make sure if it's not for me that I give the care instruction along with the item.

Much of my commission items are for pricier yarns. It is what ever the client picks out.

As for being a fiber snob, I use the appropriate yarn or fiber for the project. It all depends on how I want the final product to feel and drape and just how much hand washing and blocking I want to commit to.

Quoting the Yarn Harlot..Stephanie Pearl McPhee from Knitting Rules, "Julia Child said when it comes to wine for cooking,you should use the best you could afford. I beg you now to do the same with yarn. Buy the best you can afford. The stuff you make is your legacy, and your time is really worth it."

I love going to my local S&B and work on a project and get all the oohs and aahs and "wow, what yarn is that" and I pull out the skein to show them that it is GASP, Red Heart or Moda Dea or Caron... then they ask how much it cost and I say, "oh, you only get 400 yds for $5.95" (for example) and they all gasp again.

Drew likes to have his little fun! :woo

:bounce

I would like to buy the pricier yarns if I could afford to, but Caron and RH and the others work just as well for me. I do try to buy a better quality yarn if its something i'm going to be gifting. But if its for myself, I use whatever gives me the best results that I can afford. Which most of my projects are done in Caron.

Krystal

I love the new trend toward mid-grade "snob" yarn - more cotton/man-made blends. Great for Florida and my wool allergic self.

And, great for those of us that can't afford the super-expensive yarns. Heck, to me, anything other than RHSS is a treat!

I don't know if any of you have this personality but for me, if I crochet with something expensive, I would wear it very sparingly. And that's not only for crochet stuff, that's for my clothes too: expensive clothes are in the closet forever, they may be worn about 3,4 times a year.

Last year, I crocheted majorly with RH and Caron SS. This year, I amped up the price and quality of my yarn thanks to coupons from JoAnn's. Those 50% off coupons really do some wonders :D But I'm still not venturing to the LYS yet, because the thought of seeing a $10 price tag per skein is just not sinking for me.

But once in a while getting to crochet with good yarn gives me a giddy feeling all over again. I'm at the point when it's all fun just to get to crochet/knit in most days. Doing it with expensive yarn is the icing of the cake.

I learned how to crochet from my mom, and had to learn to knit from books. Because of the time and effort it has taken in order for me to do even a simple knitting project, I just want it to look and feel right. I'm super frugal when it comes to yarn, but I sure would hate to work so long and so hard only to wish I had done the project in a different yarn... So to me it's not so much about snobbery (I'd praise anyone for their hard work regardless of what type of yarn they use!) But for something I make, it is a fine balance between money, time being put into it, practical care of the item, and the sentiment I want to express if it is a gift.

But just as a note: I don't know to many people who have ever been disappointed with these handmade gifts regardless of the quality of yarn used. They seemed moved just by the fact that you thought of them, and took the many hours to make them something. :hug

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ya'll :)

My DD and I use whatever fits the project -- up to a point. I've spent $30.00 for a single skein of yarn (400 yards) but that was an anniversary splurge. Most often I knit and crochet with cotton and cotton/silk blends as well as soft acrylic because I'm allergic to wool. My DD and I are both knitting shawls out of Victorian Lace Today. She's using Bernat baby yarn and I'm using 3/10 cotton that comes on a cone for $20. If I enjoy knitting lace I'm going to stock up on the Bernat baby yarn. It's yummy!!! :-)

Happy Fibering! :)

Angel

It is funny I try on to spend alot on yarn. I watch a knitting show and see all those nice expensive yarns that they use. It would be nice to walk in the local yarn shop and spend over $10 for a small skein of yarn. But, then I wake up and realize that I would never spend that much. Not when other stores have sales with the yarn I love to use. I make things for my 4 yr. old the more expensive yarns would not hold up to the washings. I do not have time for handwashing. So I will stay with my beloved cheap yarn. I love it and the way it works up in crocheting and knitting.

Some of us just don't have the opportunity to buy the "fancy" yarns except online. We don't really have a LYS here, unless Walmart and Hobby Lobby count. I won't buy a yarn I haven't felt so that leaves me, and probably a few others, a limited selection. But we make do :)

I live in the land of Fancy shmancy, super high priced yarns.

I ask for acrylic at the shops and its like my head has fallen off.

When I go to the US, I stare and drool at the acrylics and their price tags, especially the baby yarns.

I do love to make things with the more expensive yarns when I knit some things - i.e. hats from Noro because they stripe really cool. BUT I adore my acrylic RHSS and CSS that I've brought to Europe from the US because they are what I grab when I want to make things for the kiddies!

• 4 weeks later...
I love going to my local S&B and work on a project and get all the oohs and aahs and "wow, what yarn is that" and I pull out the skein to show them that it is GASP, Red Heart or Moda Dea or Caron... then they ask how much it cost and I say, "oh, you only get 400 yds for $5.95" (for example) and they all gasp again.

:rofl:yay That really cracks me up. Sounds like something I would do.

I dunno, IMHO there are a lot of crochet yarn snobs too, just not so much at *our* 'ville. :hug

To me, the best yarn for the project depends on the project. Yes, sometimes Red Heart is stiff and scratchy. I think it really depends on the dye lot and the skein - not all RH is created equally... sometimes RH or other "bargain" yarn is the best for the job, too. :hook

• 3 weeks later...

I found an interesting thing today in a knitting book review that reminded me of this thread

"My first clue was that most of the patterns call for acrylic yarn (not there is anything wrong with acrylic yarn), which is not the sign of a cutting edge knitting book."

Maybe everybody is looking for new, cutting edge. Maybe everybody still just associates acrylic with granny squares. I think I did for the longest time, before I picked up crochet.

• 4 weeks later...

I tend to buy RH SS, Caron SS and Bernat. I don't spend a lot of money on yarn. It's too easy for me to get carried away, and being a stay at home mom, it's just too expensive! For me to splurge is to buy a bunch of the RH Luster Sheen. Unless, I'm doing a special project, I stick with the economy yarn. I do like the look of the expensive yarn, but I can't bring myself to spend the money on them. At least not yet.

I have bought some nice yarn on sale yesturday at Hobby Lobby - $4.99 w/ 40% off, I bought 8 skeins. That's a splurge for me!

I LIKE caron yarns for the most part they are soft and flexible and seem to get softer with every wash. They are durable and most importantly cheap! I dont care much for RH but I will use it in a pinch or if it's for a small item that someone has asked for and i dont want to buy the big skeins. I have more expensive stuff but I dont care for it much at all...any ways I think that crocheters know the value of yarn...knitters will work on a project forever and that's fine if you spend alot of money because the entertainment value is there, crochet is faster so it only makes sense to buy the cheaper stuff so the entertainment value evens out I think in a way :/

• 3 months later...

And if it is an afghan, it's NOT going to be done in a yarn that costs $15/skein!

I have recently been introduced to higher end yarns and I really love them. So if I'm making a scarf, I'll go with it. If I'm making a large object, RH or Caron or Bernat is fine with me.

:yarn

Archived