survey: what worsted weight yarn do you use?

Guest julianscat

Guest julianscat

Just out of curiousity, what WW yarn do you use for afghans? SuperSaver,Wool-Ease, etc? What do you find works best for you in terms of color/price/availability/quality?

Emily:knit

It can make for a pricey afghan if you can't find it on sale, but my all time favorite yarn for afghans is Lion Brand Homespun. My Homespun blanket is the warmest, softest blanket that I own. :)h

I typically use Red Heart because of the large variety of colors and it's availability. Overall though, the yarn I use depends on the pattern and the price of the yarn.

Hey,

I put my money on HomeSpun for soft, cozy afghans! They are the best. Plus, you have a variety of colors to choose from and the varigation in each makes it less boring to work with...since afghans tend to take a long time to complete (at least for me they do). I'm not a big Super Saver gal, the texture just doesn't appeal to me.

~DAWN

Homespun also fuzzes up less than I expected when I washed it. I used sc throughout my afghan so the stitches are closer together. I don't know if that would make a difference in how it turns out after washing.

I usually use Red Heart Super Saver (main choice) or Caron One Pound or Pound of Love (drawing a blank on the maker of that one). And when they are on sale, I stock up. I love the specialty yarns but since a lot of my afghans are done for my local medical center, I need to keep it cost effective. Does anyone remember Love Knit yarns? I was given a huge (and I mean huge donation of yarn a few years ago, still using it, at one point filled up over 70 copy paper boxes) and there were a few Love Knit skeins in it. I used to buy it in the old Newberry store on LI. I've bought Mainstays in Wal-mart but haven't used it yet. Dazzelaire is another favorite of mine. Michaels had it on clearance last year and I bought tons of skeins. People kept looking at my cart since it was practically spilling out the top. And I do the same as Tiff, pattern and type of yarn depends on the project and recipient.

Happy Crocheting,

LI Roe

Archived