Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival 2007

OnHooksandNeedles

Is anyone else excited that it's only 3 weeks until the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival???

:woo

AAAHHHH!!! I can't wait!

(And my credit cards are trembling with fear, knowing how much they will be used in just one day of yarn shopping!):scared

Or is it my husband that's scared??? :haha

crocheting commuter:

I am planning to go as well. First time.

any hints about how to enjoy the festival - what to make sure to see......

what was your favorite part?

what did you come away with?

werre there any crochet opportunities?

I looked at the schedule, quickly, and saw one activity at 6pm on sat.

crocheting commuter:

I am planning to go as well. First time.

any hints about how to enjoy the festival - what to make sure to see......

what was your favorite part?

what did you come away with?

werre there any crochet opportunities?

I looked at the schedule, quickly, and saw one activity at 6pm on sat.

Oh! How much fun you are all going to have! It is a fiber paradise indeed!

Last year was my first time and I went with a good friend of mine who came down from NYC. She is more of a knitter and she has much more knowledge about different fibers than I. She had a list of booths to see and yarn to buy and I figured I'd just mozey around until I found something I loved.

So here are some tips for all new attendees:

1. GET THERE EARLY. Especially if you want a particular type of yarn or to get in line for t-shirts. Some booths sell out in the first hour of the festival and the t-shirt line can be more than 200 people long before they even open the t-shirt barn.

2. Wear comfortable shoes and bring some water to drink. Stay hydrated. Bring a blanket if you want to chill on the grass in the shade.

3. Bring cash. Not all vendors take plastic. There is an ATM on the premises, but there is usually a line. Go ahead and set yourself a spending limit - but don't beat yourself up if you go over it. :)

Here's a link to Knitter's Review: http://knittersreview.com/article_event.asp?article=/review/profile/060511_a.asp

She does a fantastic job of describing her experience at last year's event.

My favorite part of the festival? I loved it all! The herding dog exhibition was great - definitely check that out. The yarn was wonderful! There were sheep and alpaca. I took lots of great photos. The food was good (though sometimes scary - FRIED TWINKIES???) and every kind of mutton imaginable (though I didn't eat any of it). I guess the best part of the festival is that everyone else there understands what fiber addiction is. You are among friends. :)

Because I was new to high end yarns, I didn't buy anything until it caught my eye. I wound up getting two large hanks of hand dyed boucle yarn and some rug yarn. Not sure if it's only intended for rugs but I didn't care. I loved the colors.

Now have I used any of this yarn yet?? No. But that is not for lack of trying. The boucle is beautiful but I haven't been able to find a patten that would adequetely showcase the color and texture of the yarn. The rug yarn hasn't been used either but I'm planning to use it soon.

Will this stop me from buying more yarn this year? NO WAY!

As for the crocheting events, I didn't participate in any of them. My friend and I hadn't seen each other in forever so we opted to go home, oogle our new yarn purchases, and have a couple of beers. I have heard that the groups that meet are fun and very friendly, though.

Best wishes that everyone has a great time! If you hear of any new news, please post it.

Cheers,

Sam

Sam:

thanks for your reply. It really sounds like it is going to be fun. And your advice - especially about the water sounds good. That is something I typically forget until I find I have to pay $3.00 for a small bottle.

So I am even more looking forward to it.

I'm still using yarn I bought 3 years ago! The alpaca seemed like a splurge at $3.95 an ounce! So I paid $65 for a pound of it. But it made me a sweater

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4250960&a=31466836&p=75105076

And I now I'm using the rest to make a soft shawl.

Although pricey, it was a lot of yards. And although it was lace weight, I find a G Hook to work well because it's so plushy at the same time.

Alas, I discovered from those purchases that I am allergic to any and all wool, so these items are now gifts.

• 2 weeks later...

:1sheep MS&W is this Saturday!!!

:jumpyay:woo:yay

All that yarn....just thinking of it makes me drool like Homer Simpson!:drool

I'm going to be absolutely giddy all week! :bounce:mdust

Meanwhile, my bank card is shivering in terror - it knows that it will be an expensive weekend.

Hope everyone who's planning to go can make it! And let's hope it's beautiful weather like it was today!

I went.

Had a bad case of sensory overload. So many beautiful textures!

And the colors! amazing.

But the variety of wools including alpaca and llama were amazing to see and FEEL! I also found it interesting that the softness of the wools within the same category varied so much.

You are right, though. Now that I know what it is like I will plan differently for next year.

I was disapponted in the lack of crochet fixins and models.

There was a ? fiber arts gallery with articles that had been entered into some contest (there were blue ribbons awarded.) There were only two crocheted items and while they were well done, they were no where near the WOW factor of many of the knitted entries. Kind of giving support to the idea that crochet is the poor stepsister of knitting. I thought at the time and wished some of the finished products that I see here at Crochetville every day had been entered!

So here is a question --- where do you go to see crochet works?

I finally updated my blog with details and photos from my journey to this year's MS&W. :yay

Since it was my second year, I was a bit more prepared. Like you, my first year was a bit frantic. Definitely too much sensory overload. This year was much more relaxing and much more productive in looking for, finding, and purchasing the right yarn.

I, too, found the crochet element to be missing. I did try to promote crochet with my t-shirt ("Voulez-vous crochet avec moi?" with shameless self promotion of my blog on the back). I was bummed that the Crochet Gypsy booth wasn't there. My friends and I didn't make it into the competition booth so I didn't see the crocheted items that were entered into the contests. I may investigate further what is involved in submitting an item. I would love to wow them with a crocheted piece next year.:hook

So happy to hear that you both had a great time! And don't worry - it'll be much easier next year and just as exciting! :D

Archived