Sad News (happy now post 45)

WoW! It looks like your DH is one of few that can't stand it. I am lucky, my DH wants me to put it somewhere. But I don't have to put it out of sight. He is also OK with me buying more yarn (even when I don't need it). He is such a great guy! Of course he does think that if I didn't have that to keep me busy, I wouldn't be a nice person to be around. ... He might be right! :devil So he thinks he's lucky that I have something to relax me! :hook

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My DH has made me pack up most my yarn in a tub and put it in the attic, so it is not all over the house:(

I feel very sad about this development:(

I like having it all closer than that, but you know I have stashed some around the house that he does not know about, :devil is that terrible? lol

I'm so thankfull that my dh has a hobby. He likes to make things out of wood, so when he spends $$$$$$ on his woodcutting tools, I don't feel too guilty when I buy that 1 skein of yarn or maybe 10 skeins of yarn:D , do you have a pantry in your kitchen, maybe you can find a big cardboard box and label it "Recipes";)

Why did he "make you" put your yarn in the attic...and why is there yarn the he doesn't know about?? What would happen if he found the"secret" stash? Is he your husband and partner or your father? Why must you hide things like a child that's afraid to have mommy or daddy find something and take it away. You are an adult and you need to make him treat you with the same respect and consideration that he expects to be given. I always cringe when I hear women talk about how they have to "hide" things, yarn, cross stitch supplies, new clothes, shoes...whatever, from their husbands. Or better yet, ask "permisson" to even spend money and then having to justify why they spent want to buy something, yet the husbands never ever seem to have to do the same thing. I don't know which is worse, asking permission to spend money, or buying things and keeping the fact a secret: neither one builds the type of mutual respect and trust that is needed in a marriage. I was married for 27 years. I have been happily single for the past 12 years, and no, money, hobbies and spending habits were not a part of why I am no longer married

Gosh, I am sorry to hear that you would have to put your stash up in the attic. How can you possibly crochet with your yarn so far away?? I would be afraid it would get messed up in the attic too. I am lucky too, my husband loves my hobby and never complains that I spread it out all over the living room, kitchen, two rooms upstairs, etc. He is happy to see me being creative. I think he is wise enough to also know that if I am happy and busy being creative, that "our" world is just a better place to be in!! He has his hobby's too, softball and fishing. I hope your husband comes around soon. It just ain't right to do this to you!!

We have to have our creative outlets!!!

Oh my goodness how unfair. My fella has gone from getting upset over my wool obsession to not caring. though he is more of an enabler now than someone trying to intervene. He knows how happy my wool makes me and as I explained to him it could be worse. I am nearly always there for him when he comes home from work and he is not neglected. I have the wool I am using on hand on the settee and hide the rest in the spare room not that you can hide two boxes over flowing in the spare room he just doesnt go in there now.

You could always send him up there to look for a pariticular colour that you know isnt there hehe. or go through all the pinks and say no not that one lol. He will break eventually, you could look sad and sigh saying how much you miss your wool. You could put his tool box up there or as Riohnna says hit him where it hurts hide one of his precious possesions like the remote up there with your wool when he gives in say ooooh i found "said item" in with my wool how strange xxxx

why in the world does he want you to put your yarn where you can't get to it, doesn't he know that the first thing you would have to do now is go buy more? or would he object to that also. sounds to me like he has a authority problem, thinking he is your boss or your daddy ot who knows what. i would tell him to mind his own business. you don't tell him howto work with his tools or what channel to watch on the television. i would flat out refuse and if he didn't like it i would show him the door. i guess i am one of the lucky ones. my hubby hardly ever says anything, and when he does its usually to the tune of what did ya do buy more yarn?:devil:devil which i say yep need it for this project ect. which is true. i am sorry he is being such a big booger head. i would demand he go up and get it right now and bring your baby stash back to you:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug can ya tell i don't take orders well:yes:yes:lol:lol:lol

O my goodness - hope your stash is accessible in the loft. That is like loosing a part of yourself. Girl - youre just going to have to go buy some more. Whats more important hubbys dinner or YARN? NO CONTEST!

Thank you gals for all your support, I did not know that there was a chance my stash would get ruined in the attic:eek ....so today we are going to find another place for it.....I got to thinking, our house is VERY small and there is not a lot of space, but he has a storage closet outside with all his stuff in it, that is why he doesn't have his stuff everywhere, If I had a closet all of my own to put my stash in it would not be everywhere, so today we will be discussing my stash, I know he will agree that ruining my stash is not a good idea, I don't know what I would do:eek , anyway thanks again for your support and opinions.

I was tired of coming home to find that the furbabies had run yarn around the living room so i voluntarily packed my yarn into two totes but they are in the living room . It is so unfair that you had to put yours in th e attic.

Awe, I am so sorry!

My husband wouldn't dare make me do that! He has computer parts laying around everywhere, so we are both even in our obsessions, lol! He is the luckier one though because he has his own computer room, I want my own crochet room, dang it! :lol

My dh doesn't like clutter and he thinks of yarn and crafts as clutter. I just pick it up and find it a home when I'm done for the day. He only really gets upset if he can't walk across the house or if the bed is covered. I have a few places throughout the house, he teases about yarn in dressers but hasn't complained. I think for him it's out of sight out of mind. I hope you can find a better stash place. Good luck, I know how it is with a small house.

You don't want to put your yarn outside in a shed either. The shed is not climate controlled. Could you put your yarn in an under-the-bed container?

Glad to hear he's being a little more reasonable. Is the attic easily accessable? If it is, you could probably give him a project to do of renovating it into a special craft room for yourself. I know my hubby gets a little irritable whenever my stash seems to wander around the house on it's own. Rubbermaid bins are great, water proof and easily stackable in one corner of my bedroom. I keep one bin in the living room though so I don't disturb my hubby while he sleeps during the day.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I think mine has given up. Right now, I have yarn I just bought, in bags in front of the front door. I also have a bunch in a bag at the end of my futon, in the living room. I'd stash it under the futon, but my jewelry making stuff is already under there!

Margie

I have been reading this since yesterday but I felt good in the knowledge, that although my husband likes me to put my projects away somewhere, he doesn't get bent out of shape. Then as I witched at him about his collectible cards not being in his closet where they belong, and his "stupid" :angry hobby stuff taking over our house I realized I had become the evil one:devil :devil ! Oh no! I am going to go hug him :hug and tell him I love him now:manyheart !!!

He says he loves me unconditionally:manyheart ...awwwww.

That said, he does try to keep them out of sight for me!

Laura

Well here is what we figured out, isn't it wonderful? I went to target and got 2 garmet holders and cleaned out the coat closet in the living room:D I put my whole stash in there today along with my mags and pattern books:cheer :yay:cheer:yay hubby is fine with it just so long it is out of sight...yea yea yea:cheer :yayIMG_0371.jpgIMG_0369.jpgIMG_0366.jpg After we talked about the stash he was very sorry that he had even brought up putting it in the attic ....Now my lovely stash will be right in my living room:cheer

thanks again gals, without you guys my stash would be in the attic

I am sooo doing that! I have some yarn in space bags, for "long term" projects, but for "active" yarn, I love your idea. Much better than the baskets I've been using.

And totally better than the attic!

I am far crueler!! I would hide the Toilet Paper. Have your own stash and take it when you need it. Let him see what is it like sitting there without any TP for a week or so!! He'll get the message! In the meanwhile you need to practice this phrase:

"Why, I don't know dear, did you use the last of it? Oh my, that's just awful, you know, I know just how you feel, I kind of feel lost without my yarn too."

Be sure you are in the laundry room with the washer and dryer going ( or just out of earshot) when he starts hollering for some TP!

Archived