Blended Pastels Round Ripple w/Shell Edging

Chrome Kitty

I'm in love with this blankie! It's for a friend at work who's expecting her first baby. She doesn't know if it's a boy or girl, but I think it will be a boy, so I tried not to use too much pink just in case I'm right.:lol It's done with Bernat Baby Coordinates in their pastel shades of yellow, pink, purple, blue & green in that order. I used 2 strands and a J hook, so it was super quick to make. I had a hard time capturing the true colors on film. It's much more "cotton-candy-ish" in person.:blush

The color changes are made by using 2 strands of one color, then before changing to two strands of the next color, you do one strand of the old color and one strand of the new color. I did 3 rounds of yellow, 2 rounds of yellow & pink, 3 rounds of pink, 2 rounds of pink & purple, 3 rounds of purple, 2 rounds of purple & blue. Then I did extra rounds of the blue & green so those would be more dominant, so I did 4 rounds of blue, 2 rounds of blue & green, and 4 rounds of green plus the shell border in green.

post-2549-135897403846_thumb.jpg click to enlarge

Edit on 5-10-9: I made another one of these this spring and my new camera captured closer to the true colors this time. Those pictures are posted below. The blanket is hanging on a clothesline, so that's why you can only see half of it. I tried to Photoshop out the junk in the background on the second new pic but that just made for a blurry outline.:blush

I'm also adding here the directions for making the shell edging. It was posted it in a different thread where someone asked about it, but I thought it should go here too.

How you make the shells really depends on how many stitches you end up with when you're done. My last round had 16 stitches on each side of each point. I made shells of 5dcs up the sides and 7dcs at the point. Starting at the valley, I skipped the two that you'd skip in a normal round, then did *(slip stitch, skip one, shell, skip one)3x, slip stitch, then skip two, 7dc shell at point, skip two, (slip stitch, skip one, shell, skip one)3x, slip stitch and that brings you back to the valley where you skip the last one of the "down" and the first one of the "up" and repeat from *.

Of course if you have more or less stitches in the final round, you'll have more or fewer shells. You can do the shells differently to adjust to whatever your end count is. The first attempt I did was shell, skip two, sc, skip two, shell, skip two, sc, etc which worked out perfectly for the number of stitches I had, but I wanted a rounder shell so I changed the number of skipped stitches and switched to a sl st. My advice is just trial and error until you find something you like that corresponds to your number of stitches.

post-2549-135897404338_thumb.jpg

post-2549-135897403833_thumb.jpg

post-2549-135897403839_thumb.jpg

post-2549-135897404334_thumb.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a blended rectangular one this way years ago with LB Pound of Love, but I went in "rainbow order" of pink, yellow, green, blue, purple. This time I stole the color order from a Mary Maxim kit. I think it's called Peaceful Pastels. The color changes are made by using 2 strands of one color, then before changing to two strands of the next color, you do one strand of the old color and one strand of the new color. I did 3 rounds of yellow, 2 rounds of yellow & pink, 3 rounds of pink, 2 rounds of pink & purple, 3 rounds of purple, 2 rounds of purple & blue. Then I did extra rounds of the blue & green so those would be more dominant, so I did 4 rounds of blue, 2 rounds of blue & green, and 4 rounds of green plus the shell border in green.

Archived