Shaky Hands...?

I've been teaching friends to crochet for a few years, now, and I'm now teaching a class at church. A friend of mine, who is in the class, has shaky hands, which gets worse with stress. I started her off with an H hook and regular ww yarn, but when we're in front of the other gals in the group, she has a difficult time with the shaking. I gave her a package of larger crystallites, and the P hook works much better for her, but it's still difficult to work around the shaking. It isn't that it bothers me, but it looks like it's harder for her to learn. She doesn't know why her hands shake, and it seems to be genetic since her bro and cousins and other family members have this same affliction. She really wants to begin making sweaters for her newborn niece, but how can I help her ease down to a smaller hook and a smaller fiber? She's young, about 27, and has no joint issues. Any suggestions?

Does she think the hand shaking has to do with being nervous in front of others?? If so, could you give her private lessons in her own home? Would supporting her arms on pillows help, so that she doesn't have to hold her arms up? I hope she can do this because crochet would be such a wonderful stress buster for her.

My hands shake too, and get worse when I'm tired or excited or angry. But it hasn't affected my crochet at all, and I work with both thread and yarn. Perhaps because I mostly forget about it and only notice it when someone new remarks on it? :think Maybe you could try to have your class ignore the shaking too, and allow your friend to concentrate on the crochet. It might work :hook

Archived