Crochetme Ultimate Crocheted Socks CAL

yarnyviolet

Thank you so much Dorothy! I really did wonder if it was an editing error with regards to the markers.

I am not sure why it is coming up so big either. It says to start the gusset 2.5 inches from the end but I found 3.5 inches to be much better. I am about two inches above the heel and have only just used up all the yarn I had frogged from my heel. Maybe it is because we are using different yarn? What type of hook do you use? I am using a bamboo. I did do a gauge swatch and my yarn was making it a bit big for my 9 inch foot so I went with the 8 inch instructions.

I am so glad you took the time to post. Believe me if I didn't love your socks I wouldn't have kept going. My sock is turning out great now.

Rachel

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am getting so close to finishing this sock. I am so excited! I have one or two more inches to go before the ribbing. I am so happy with my sock now. All that work was worth it I think. I am going to start the next one just before I finish so I don't end up with just one sock. The downfall to having to make a pair of anything.

Rachel

I've just started on the heel. I did the foot in single crochet but went ahead with the gusset in esc. The last time I got finished with the heel part and it was a little tight getting the sock on so I'm hoping the esc in the gusset will fix it!

Rachel, I had to laugh at your comment about starting the second sock pretty quickly so you don't end up with just one sock! I was a little worried about that, too, when I started the first one, but I'm so dang determined to make these sock I'll have no problem getting the second one done. And the second one will be so much easier because I should only have to do it once!

How's everyone else coming?

Olive, actually the socks are pretty easy now that we have figured stuff out. However, there is another pattern in the CrochetMe archives for a "in your shoes socks" pattern. It is way back there - a couple of years probably- but if you search for socks it should come up. Either way we can help you. That is what a CAL is all about.:cheer

Rachel

I'm really glad you're all enjoying crocheting the sock, even with the frogging. I started another pair this weekend. I forgot how addicting they can be! So far it's coming out exactly to size, but I'm not to the heel yet. I'll keep you posted. Only thing I can think of at this point is maybe thicker yarn would give a bigger row gauge and that would throw things off?

When I first started making socks, I had the problem of not being able to get them over my heel. They fit fine, just couldn't get them on! That's why I originally went to the toe up design, because I thought the cuff would be stretchier. The esc definitely has more give than sc, so that should help in the gusset/heel area. The other thing you can do is add another increase round in the gusset (just replace one of the final straight esc rounds with an increase round). That would give you a few more stitches to get it over your heel. Then you would just have to decrease on the first ankle round to bring it back down to size there if you needed.

You'll notice all the increases are in pairs and all the sizes are down in multiples of 4 stitches. That should make it easier to play around iwth customizing - just keep an even number of stitches so the cuff work outs and you should be fine.

Dorothy Hardy

april2007037.jpg

Here is my sock. I was just too tired to upload it to photobucket last night so I could post it. This coyote keeps coming to the back fence (where the dogs are) at 5 am and yesterday I spent an hour trying to get them to be quiet. This morning I just didn't bother. I am one of the last houses before the edge of town.

I really like my sock. I can't wait until I have a pair. The best part about socks is there are so few ends to weave in. The cats had chewed the yarn but I used a russian join to fix it so no yarn ends to weave in there. I am on the last row of my Mrs. Weasley cardigan and that has a colour change almost every row except 2 or something insane like that. So, one more sock and one more sleeve and I am doing great. Then it is stuff for other people after that. Well maybe....I have a pile of sock yarn so maybe I will make myself some more socks.:hook

Musicmarth your sock looks great! My other sock yarn is self striping and I am inspired by your sock to try out this pattern in self-striping yarn too.

Rachel

WOWZA!! Those are FABULOUS socks, ladies!!! :yay

I can't seem to get my redo past the first couple of rows -- it's just a time issue, though. Nothing that can't be resovled! :hook

Karen

I have started my second sock too. I made sure I started it so I would work on it. I am about an inch into the foot. I plan to make more socks with sock yarn in my stash for my Save Cash CAL which has its' own blog. I am making 6 afghans for presents for the holidays this year but socks make a better summer project.:yes

Rachel

I didn't do a sock. :blush I got absorbed in mother's day scarf that have a tight deadline. I hope to finish it up by next week. I think I will do socks while I am in san francisco for mother's day and mother's surgery. I am not sure yet.

Sadly, I am still wrapped up in work, and can only glance longingly at my yarn and hook. :( My goal is get back into it next week. I changed yarns and love the pale blue that I'm using this time around. (I do have a couple of toe rows done.)

Rachel, you'll soon have a PAIR of socks!!! :cheerCan't wait to see the photo of the complete set!

Karen

Hello everyone! I'm glad to see that everyone is getting along well with their socks. However, I have to say I..... well, I:sweat .... Idon'tknowwheremysockis. :2blush I've been busy and haven't been able to get to my sock and it.. kinda... disappeared:shrug . So, I'm just going to resign from this CAL for now:( , as I won't be able to get back to sock making anytime soon. Maybe later on , I'll join back in. But, for now, have fun with your socks:socks !:waving

Hi there! I decide to do one sock, even if mother's day scarf is a bit more than 25% done. :lol Luckily, mom is more excited about the idea of a handmade gift instead of receiving it on mother's day. I am trying to finish the scarf before her surgery on May 17th.

My current progress: I chose the small size even if I wear size 9. I finished the toe section. I was going to work on the foot section but it's so late now, bedtime a while ago. Right now, I am broody about my camera's low battery level. :blush I will post the picture after I work on it next time.

It's started....I have a sock yarn addiction. I have been drooling over at blue moon fibers at all the colours. My birthday is coming up and I am hoping people will give me money for yarn. I only have about 10 skeins of sock yarn and two one pound cones of fingering weight wool (the purple I am using for my sock is one of the cones). There is absolutely no excuse to buy anymore sock yarn. Except that I live in the Yukon.... that is a good excuse isn't it? I have decided to make everyone in my family some socks and then I will see.....

Rachel

I didn't work more on my sock. It become so hot around here last few days. It should be 96 degrees today. Here is the photo of the toe part.

th_IMG_0637.jpg Paperclips are my markers. :lol

Archived