Crochetme Ultimate Crocheted Socks CAL

yarnyviolet

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL. When I first married my husband I complained about all the abbreviations in the army and now I can't complain. He thinks it is hilarious that crocheters have all these abbreviations.

Your sock looks really nice Karen. Keep up the good work!

Rachel

Well, all went smoothly until I got to... the.. HEEL! It kept coming out on the side and not the middle back. The pattern doesn't say to mark the middle back, but I am going to try that on my next attempt. I'm gonna have to ditch this sock. I've pulled it out so many times, I've frayed it and lost count. So, I will take a breather and try again. I am determined!

The pattern doesn't say to fasten off after ending the foot and starting the gusset -- but did you? I feel a little foolish for getting so confused. I blame my getting so turned around on the fact that I'm left-handed but stitch with my right hand (lame excuse, but...)

Thanks!

Karen

I didn't fasten off for the gusset. After I got everything marked, I just crocheted to the first marked stitch and went from there.

As for the heel part, I took think that the midpoint marker it refers to is actually a side marker. That makes it all work out better!

Karen, don't feel bad about pulling it out so many times. I must have worked on the foundation, first and second round for an hour! Rachel finally tipped me off that I was probably using the turn chain as another stitch and that's how I continually ended up one stitch extra! (And after I got several rows into the heel, I had to pull the whole durn thing out due to its humongo size!)

I have added some notes to my first post. That heel is wrong and I wrote into Crochet me and my comment is in the comments section after the pattern there. I hope that helps people who are making this sock. It is so frustrating when you are trying to make something and there is an error.

Carson come join us!

Rachel

Great! It is a fun pattern, but I'm having a bit of struggle with the heel. So, I'm starting over as soon as I can. I had to errands to run today (and will have to hit the road again tomorrow). I can crochet while doing lots of other things, but not driving...

Happy crocheting!!

Karen

I frogged back my purple sock. I am almost done my first Molly Weasley sleeve and I was going to start weaving in the ends. There are more than 40 yarn colour changes :faintin one sleeve. All of a sudden frogging back to the foot to redo the gusset didn't seem so bad. So now I have two different socks at different stages. My feet will be toasty.

Rachel

You MUST post a photo. I am not familiar with the Molly Sweater, but with all those colorful yarns, it must be stunning!

I wish I could curl up with my needle and yarn today, but alas, duty calls.... :(

Karen

I have conquered the heel! I am so happy! I haven't frogged (Karen frog means to rip it out....rip it rip it...sounds like a frog) so much in I don't know how long.

april2007033.jpg

A person has to remember to skip all slip stitches especially when you start the ankle. I had to be careful that first round to miss the two slip stitches. I feel great!:clap

It should be clear sailing from here I hope.

Rachel

I should add that I frogged back to 5.5 inches (my foot is 9 inches long) and only did 3 rounds of the gusset (2 inc rounds and one plain sc round). I had to adjust where I started my heel a few stitches but it looks good. I am so proud. It fits too. I still haven't used up all the yarn that I ripped out.

Rachel

Ugh...I'm frogging it again. This time, though, I got all the way to the ankle. It's just too tight across my foot so I think I'll keep the sc in instead of esc but I'm going to go up to the medium. Rachel, your suggestion of starting the gusset at 3.5 inches in instead of 2.5 inches seems to be helping also. Maybe I'll get these durn socks done before our cruise next week!

We should call these the frog socks. It was grim determination that got me this far. I must have frogged the heel so many times even after I got the gusset right. The 3.5 inches worked for me too. My sock actually fits perfect (I just hope it continues to). I had some bad news today so I wanted to conquer these socks. My dh isn't able to come home to visit next month. I haven't seen him since just after New Year's. Hopefully I will be able to see him this summer. I moved back to Canada while he finishes his time in the British Army. He should be retiring this fall. When I was living with him in Germany I didn't get to see him much either so at least this way I am in my home country. I still was looking forward to seeing him.

I hope you have fun on your cruise musicmarth.

Rachel

Oh, Rachel, I'm sorry you're having to wait longer to see your DH. How disappointing. I don't blame you for crocheting with a purpose!

I still haven't started my sock anew, but will... I just have to be in the right frame of mind. Meanwhile, when I was running errands today, I picked up some more yarn for a BICO for my new great nephew, whose mom is in labor as I type... :2spin

musicmarth, I hope you have a wonderful cruise! Be sure to come back with "Wind in your hair and water in your shoes" (as Jimmy Buffett says in the song Lovely Cruise)!

Karen

Rachel, I'm so sorry to hear that DH is going to be delayed. My DH spent 4 months one summer in Seattle while I stayed in Oklahoma. We didn't have children then, so it was just me...and I didn't do so well with that! Good to have plenty of irons in the fire with your crochet!

The cruise is to Alaska and it'll be the first time I've ever spent away from my son (with the exception of him going to children's day out once a week and little things like that!). I've got several crochet projects to take on the plane trip.

Rachel, I love the idea about calling these frog socks! Too funny!

Hey everyone! Wow, everyone is so far! They all look great! I haven't been able to work on my sock. :( Now, I'm almost afraid to get back to it.:lol I'll probably end up frogging:2frog it at the heel (I'm still at the gusset:blush ). I promise I'll post some progress soon.:hook

Musicmarth you will practically next door as I am in the Yukon. Well Alaska is next to us anyways. Watch out you might fall in love with the north! Then you will need piles of frog socks.

Joy we have broke trail for you. You can learn from our mistakes which will make it go much faster for you than it did for us.

Hopefully dh will be able to come this summer or I have to learn to use a chainsaw:eek . A woodstove doesn't do you any good if you don't have wood. This last winter we ran our oil furnace and that was really expensive. I just got my wood permit today (it is free to chop dead wood which is everywhere) and checked out the area I allowed to collect wood from. Not only will I have great socks now but I will have huge muscles from hauling all that wood. I hope he can get out here this summer. I am not looking forward to chopping wood with a 4 yr old and 1 1/2 year old. That makes weaving in all those yarn ends on that sleeve look like a piece of cake.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Rachel

I've just joined crochetville so I could comment on this CAL. I'm the designer of the pattern and I'm sooo sorry you all are having such trouble with it. After reading all of your posts, I re-read the pattern as posted very carefully yesterday and realized that there was indeed an error. It looks like you all have figured it out on your own. I've posted a comment on crochetme to correct it, but thought I should post it here as well. When placing the markers for the gusset round, you should only place 2 markers, one at each side. Do NOT put a marker at the center top of the foot. If you only place 2 markers, the instructions for gusset round 10 to esc to the midpoint marker make a lot more sense since that midpoint marker is at the side of the sock and the heel would be in the right place. Sorry for all the confusion. I had scanned thru the pattern when it was posted, mostly to check the stitch counts. I just didn't notice that reference to the third marker.

I can't decide if that is also the cause of the huge socks or not. If you were doing increases at all 3 markers during the gusset round, instead of just two, it would make it much too large around. But then your stitch counts should have been way off. I've made several pairs with this pattern and all fit the recipients fine. And I've double checked the math and gauge and it works out right. So I'm a bit stumped as to why you're all getting huge socks. I've just started a pair following the pattern as posted (and not my own notes) to be sure there's not something else amiss. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, the photos of aprtially completed socks look great! I hope you all stick with it.

Dorothy Hardy

I've just joined crochetville so I could comment on this CAL. I'm the designer of the pattern and I'm sooo sorry you all are having such trouble with it. After reading all of your posts, I re-read the pattern as posted very carefully yesterday and realized that there was indeed an error.

Dorothy,

I haven't started my socks yet, but I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your note. It was very kind of you to come here and communicate with us about your pattern, and with such a professional attitude! I appreciate your willingness to work with us so that your pattern really does become the Ultimate Crochet Socks pattern! :hook

Archived