Crochetme Ultimate Crocheted Socks CAL

yarnyviolet

Can I join? I've already started the sock...I'm on the gusset and I hope I'm doing it right! I was too lazy to do a swatch (I know, I know) so after going quite a bit into the toe, it was tooooooo big so I frogged it and started with a size smaller hook. It's fitting great now!

By the way, when I started the sock, after the 20 stitches (10 on either side of the base chain) and I started the next row, any idea why I always ended up one stitch too many? Crazy...and it happened every time I started (I started over several times). I've just decided to make it a design feature.

Yes, I put the sock on my foot for the picture! Gotta keep things fun, right?

socktogusset.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your sock looks great! Maybe you were putting a stitch in the turning chain when you did the first round? I have done that before as it looks like a sc. Try marking the turning chain next time so you don't put a sc in it. I plan to do more on my sock today. I don't have a printer and I am almost done my foot so I need to look at the directions again. DD doesn't like me on the computer a lot and yesterday she fell and scraped her nose so she was really upset. This is tragic when you are 18 months. The poor thing has a really red nose right now. We just went for a walk though with the dogs. Always an event as my dogs are not really leash trained. I only have to get them across the road but pushing the stroller complicates things. There is forest for a few hundred kilometres after that so then I am fine:) . There are bears though so I encourage the kids to make some noise. I live in a small town in the sticks. I don't have a LYS but other than that it is perfect.

I think they should have made this pattern with some negative ease built in or supplied a smaller size. If all of us have loose socks then obviously a smaller size is needed. It is easily adjusted of course with a smaller hook but still I think a smaller sock size would be nice.

Rachel

Rachel, that's probably what I did! I'll have to remember that when I start the second sock. One stitch won't be that big of a difference between the two socks.

And sorry about that giant foot staring at you! I had no idea it would be so big!!

Ok, I hate that I'm the next to post! Where are you on your socks, ladies?

I finished the gusset and I'm onto the Heel Turn. Maybe I'm missing something, but when I follow the directions, the "piece" I make ends up on the side of the sock. It's supposed to be the bottom of the heel, right?

I'm so confused...I think I've pulled it out to the right place and I'm going to go back and re-read the instructions to see if that helps. Any suggestions? Anyone at this point yet?

I bought some yarns other day, they are on sale. I am not sure if they are right kind for sock yarns. I will take a picture of them soon. Let me know once the picture is posted. I need to go to Wallmart's this weekend to get right hook sizes. Then I can start working on it, probably while commuting on subway and bus rides.

Here is the picture of yarns. I was going to use the blue yarn on the right for a pair. But I thought the variated yarn on the left can be good for a sock as a test. Please ignore the cell phone under the variated yarn and messy background on the desk. Hehe.

th_IMG_0611.jpg(CLICKABLE)

That yarn looks great Talhara. Musicmarth I am not that far so I will pull my sock out and try to get there. I had to run into Whitehorse yesterday and buy some safe dog food as I ran out (the brands they have in town are brands where all the wet was recalled and I am worried they may be contaminated too so I got my usual). It is 8 hours driving there and back. I got some other stuff in addition to the 80 pounds of dog food. I had to buy some 2x6's from the building centre and I am sure they are still laughing at me. At least the woman out in the yard was really nice and helped me find some nice looking ones. I am building garden boxes (if I can do pineapple motifs I am sure I can figure out garden boxes). I got home really late and just got the kids to bed and hauled one 40 pound bag of food in so I could feed the dogs. I didn't even read my new Interweave Crochet magazine until this morning!:eek Yes.....I was THAT tired.

I hope to be back on track by tomorrow.

Happy sockmaking!

Rachel

Ok Musicmarth I NOW know what you are talking about. The heel is growing out the side. The directions don't make sense either how they have plain sc going across half the top. It is common to have a plain sc heel but this is sock is obviously all esc except the heel, toe, and cuff. I think you are supposed to start the heel from the side marker working towards the midpoint on the underside (not marked). I am going to try this.

Rachel

Fantastic Fonda! We are still working out a few kinks but nothing we can't handle.

My heel seems to be working so far doing it from the side marker and then to the middle of the bottom. I have reached row 5 and am continuing in a half circle. Is it just me or would it be nice to have more direction as to where you should be moving the markers to. They don't ever say if you should sc into a slip stitch or not in the heel turn part and sometimes my count is out and I have to miss a slip stitch and sometimes not. I am assuming the marker should go into the first sc that is made in the slip stitch for row 5 of the heel. It just says work to the marker but it doesn't indicate where the marker should be. I am working through it and I hope everyone else is too.:hook I have never done a heel like this from the toe, just top down so it is a little different.

Happy sockmaking!:socks

Rachel

I've worked on mine this morning. I'm getting ready to do the heel but the tube part is HUGE. ( 9 inches across) I do have the right amount of stitches unless my tention is too loose. It looked fine until I got to the gusset part and had to start adding again. I'm going to wait till I get home and rip it out again.

I want to do this sock pattern too, but I have to wait until I get some yarn. But I'm also concerned about all the trouble I see some of you ladies are having with the heel. I've never made socks before so i think i'll just sit on the sidelines and watch a little more before I actually try and tackle this project!

Krystal

Yes, this is definitely a pattern you want to do a gauge swatch for as it seems that the sock is coming up big. They say in the pattern that row gauge doesn't matter but it seems to matter with the gusset. Did you try on the sock after you did the gusset? Was it really loose? This pattern has no negative ease built in (where the sock is slightly smaller than your foot so it is snug) which seems to be causing problems. It says in the pattern to make adjustments but it is a bit frustrating that it seems everyone has to make adjustments when they get to the heel.

Joyful how are you doing with it? Did you get past the heel yet? I clean my house on Sundays but I hope to get to it tonight. Maybe I will get the heel done tonight.

Happy sockmaking!:socks

Rachel

I did try the sock on and it's huge. I'm going to have to take the gusset out and instead of adding the extra stitches I may just add 1 stitch every other row then see how that does.

No, Rachel, I haven't gotten past my heel yet, I'm still on the gusset.:( I actually haven't been able to work on my socks or any other project except for something I was testing. But now, I'm done, so I'll be able to work on it again.:clap

My sock is too big. The heel sticks way out. I am putting it aside for when my husband comes to see if it fits him. I have started a new one with a 3.25 mm hook and possibly finer yarn (it is hard to tell). Instead of swatching I am just starting as it is fresh in my mind what size it should be and I haven't frogged the other one. I tried putting a comment on Crochetme about the heel but they said my comment was flagged as spam so I am not sure what will happen. I am just going to scratch last week off as a terrible week and I will have a much better week this week.:clap

I hope everyone is doing well with their socks. My advice to people starting this pattern is to swatch and use the hook and yarn that makes you come up with a slightly swatch than the pattern suggests.

Happy sockmaking:socks

Rachel

This has just been a crazy sock! You saw my picture and all the work I'd done on it? Well I figured out my heel problem and got the heel going. But after a few rows in the heel, I put the sock on my husband's feet (he's a size 11!) and it went on just fine...even over his athletic sock! That sock was huge! I pulled the whole darn thing out!

So, aside from going down a hook size, I've started over and instead of doing the ESC for the foot part, I'm just doing it in single crochet. That is making it quite snug and I think it's going to be much better.

I hadn't gotten any notifications to this thread so I was afraid everyone gave up! Glad that yall are still here!

Yeah I have been having problems with the notifications too. My sock was massive also. I have put it aside and my dh said he would try it on when he gets here. I was so disappointed. I think this is my 7th pair of socks that I have made and I have never had these problems. My favourite pattern so far is the one in the December version of Crochet Today-Snow Day socks. I have just started the foot of my new improved sock. It seems pretty small. I am doing esc so far but if it looks the least bit big I am going to use sc. Also I am going to start the gusset way earlier. The way I figure it you should have about an inch negative ease so the gusset should be started 3.5 inches and not 2.5 inches before the end. I think with a smaller hook and starting the gusset earlier I should be ok.

Rachel

Yea! Another socker! =) Welcome, Karen!

My adjusted sock is coming along quite nicely. After getting several rows into the foot it was too small so I just made a little increase and it's going well now. I followed Rachel's adjustment suggestions and I think this one is going to work! I'm into the gusset now.

OK, here goes!

Thanks for the encouragement, and I'll try to keep you posted on my progress. We just moved into a new house, and so far, I haven't found the box with my camera in it.... (it's here SOMWHERE, though!)

Karen

I just got going on my first sock (ever), and am now 3 rows into the foot. I keep slipping it over my foot just to check it out, and it seems to be growing ever bigger (although my stitch count is accurate). So, I think I'll try your trick and pull out the ESC rows and use sc in instead. Regardless of the trial and error, this is so much fun, and I doubt I would have tackled it alone. It helps so much to have feedback from others working on the same project. I am hearting CALs!!

Oh, and I'm a newbie -- can anyone tell me what LYS means?

Thanks!

Karen

Local Yarn Store. CAL are so much fun I think too! It must be the esc which is also called double single crochet by the way. I was just reading about extended stitches and that is what some books call it.

My new and improved smaller sock is coming along too. I will have to work on it more today. I have 5 WIPs (work in progess in case you don't know that one) on the go and I am juggling all of them. I think I might have to take the kids outside and let them play while I crochet a bit. Soon we will have only a few hours of darkness. It doesn't get completely dark more like dusk in the summer. We don't get 24 hour sun but close around 19 or 20 hours. More time to crochet!

Happy sockmaking,

Rachel

Archived