Crochetme Ultimate Crocheted Socks CAL

yarnyviolet

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! My finished pair of socks went with me to Alaska and back! The cruise was great (I missed my son, though) and I'll always remember the trip when I look at my cool socks! I'll have to post a picture soon (and read through 300 emails, all the blogs that I need to catch up on, do some laundry...I'll need a vacation from vacation!)

Fantastic! I have to get on my other sock. I finished my Molly Weasley cardigan so now I can concentrate on getting these socks done. I had so many WIPs and I need to get stuff finished. I think for the summer I will work on socks and scarves (I am making scarves for presents this year) and save the afghans for the cooler weather. It is just so nice out to be doing huge projects.

Rachel

arrgh i did my socks last week can i still join, with the next pair as i am finding crocheting socks very addicting and this is the most intuitive pattern i have come across. It worked up to gauage with a 3.5mm hook for the main body of the sock and three strands of one ply wool held together. i think the best indicator of hook size is how the swatch looks, you can always follow the directions for a different size.

Congrats, Musicmarth, on your completed pair of socks!

I am onto the foot of my second attempt. However, I've come to a halt again, having been called to duty with my job. I've had to lay down the hook and yarn again. If I could just figure out how to crochet and edit text at the same time... :think

Anywho, if I EVER am able to get back to it, I'll send a pic when there's enough of the sock to warrant being viewed.

Cheers!

Karen

playin hooksie in Mississippi

Just a quick note to let my fellow sock makers know that I now have my "sock redux" up to the gusset! The heel, which was my downfall last try, is next, so... if it comes out right, I'll send a pic. If not, I'll tuck my tail and go find a rock to hide under....

Happy Weekend!

Karen

I have finished both of my socks. I had some sock yarn arrive in the mail on Wednesday..... . It was my reward for cleaning up my backyard. It was so horrible and it took 17 garbage bags. My mom and grandma were here for a few days and my grandma wants some socks to wear to bed. My socks fit her so that makes it easy.

I hope everyone is doing well with their socks.

Rachel

My grandma came to visit as I said and she said she wants some socks. My purple ones fit her but after all that hard work I couldn't give them away. However, today I went to Elann.com and they have fair isle pattern sock yarn on sale by the bag! Oh it is so hard to resist! I have told myself I will wait until the end of the month and if it is still there I will buy some.

As an aside my dh says he wants to learn to knit so I bought some Elizabeth Zimmermann (sp?) books and I was reading through them and she says she likes to make socks in the summer months. She also likes to make mittens. I find I am slowing down my crocheting right now as the weather gets warmer. Anyone else finding this? I think I will finish up the few big projects I have by the end of June giving me the summer to relax and do a few little things and enjoy the weather.

Rachel

Rachel, no slowing down for me! I've got 4 friends due starting in October and going through January. I've got one blanket finished, one in the works and two more to go. My sister wants a scarf (to match a hat I made her) since she's moving to Iowa and I'm really excited about trying the Sweet Sweater pattern from a past CrochetMe (the link is in my sig).

As for the socks, a friend of mine saw main and she wants me to help her make some. She's having knee replacement surgery at the end of the month so I probably will go over there a few times...she'll be so antsy shut in the house while she recouperates! She's so excited that she went and bought yarn yesterday...she didn't even know they made yarn for socks!

Maybe it is just me. I want to make more but I am a little unmotivated to finish my WIPs and seem to have collected a few more so now I have 6. One is a slipper and I have 3 rows left on the second one so that is not too bad I guess. I think I will bounce back in a few days. I have made sweaters similar to the sweet sweater (from the book Crocheting in Plain English which describes how to do a top down raglan sweater). They are great especially when you get past the armholes and you fly along.

I got some really nice sock yarn. I think after I finish 2 more WIPs I will start on another pair of socks.

Rachel

arrgh i did my socks last week can i still join, with the next pair as i am finding crocheting socks very addicting and this is the most intuitive pattern i have come across. It worked up to gauage with a 3.5mm hook for the main body of the sock and three strands of one ply wool held together. i think the best indicator of hook size is how the swatch looks, you can always follow the directions for a different size.

How are your socks doing? I have been to Yorkshire. My dh is from the UK (Wigan) and when we lived in Germany we took the ferry over to Hull (my first experience driving on the left). I drove from Hull to Richmond to Wigan. Wigan is not a very exciting place but my in-laws live there. I don't miss the traffic! I drove in London ONCE. Never again. I still break out in a sweat thinking about it (Friday afternoon to the center of London).

Rachel

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I FINISHED the heel, finally! It looks pretty good, too, though not perfect (my photo card is full, or I'd actually send a pic). I am going to wrap this sock up and put it on display. It will not get a mate, as I am ready to try something else.

Maybe I'll see you in another CAL!! Thanks SOOOOO much for all your encouragement! That really made the difference. I would have tossed it all a long time ago, had it not been for my fellow crocheters' cheerleading!

Thanks!!!

Karen

playin hooksie

in Mississippi

Leslie

This is a fun pattern -- and everyone in the CAL is most helpful!! Most of them, I believe, use sock yarn, but I live on the sunny Mississippi coast, and I've never seen sock yarn in any stores around here, so I used WW. I had to do sc's where the pattern calls for esc's, but that made the size work out fine.

Good luck!!

Karen

Just do a gauge swatch to see if it works. Join us! I just got some sock yarn in the mail today (elann.com had 10 skeins for just over $20 so I got some!). I just have to finish a few WIPs and then I will start another pair.

Rachel

Thanks for the tip, Rachel. I've never heard of elann.com before now, so guess where I'm surfing off to on the Internet tonight?

Can't wait till the house is still, so I can peruse at my leisure.

Thanks!

Karen

• 1 month later...

Hello ... is anyone else still following this CAL? I hope so!

I came across the Ultimate Crocheted Socks pattern a few days ago and decided to try it out with my recently-acquired Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the gorgeous "Circus" colourway!

Since I've got a gazillion crochet and knit projects on the go at the moment, I'm not seeing this as something I have to finish especially soon, but as more of a travelling companion ... a small, handy-size project that I can carry around with me and adapt as I go. I started today and your comments in this thread have been VERY useful! I'm using a 3mm hook and following the Medium size (am working on the Foot now).

Just wondering if anybody else has found it helpful to make decreases once you've got past the ball of the foot?

Hi, Rose Anglais!

Glad to hear you're going to do the sock. It was a fun pattern, and I thorougly enjoyed the CAL.

To answer your question, I did not do any decreases past the ball of the foot. I did do regular sc instead of esc, though, because my work was coming out a little large. That change helped.

Good luck!

Karen

I've run into a problem with the heel turn, I think.

At this point, I've got 48 sts in my round instead of 60 (purposely - I've been modifying the foot to fit me). I know to start this next row at the side marker.

I'd like to try following the instructions for the smallest size. Row 1 tells me "Sc in marked st and in each of next 14 sts." Do I need to modify/decrease this number, as I'm using a smaller number of sts overall? After following the instructions for the first 5 rows of the heel turn, I have a rounded flap which isn't developing from the bottle middle of the foot, but is much closer to the starting marker than it is to the side marker. I'm explaining this very poorly, but frustratingly I can't get upload a photo which might make it clearer ... Basically after row 5, I have 3 esc unworked to one side of the flap but 12 sc unworked to the other ...

Help! (Penelope Pitstop voice)

No, you are right it should be more central. The rounded part is the heel cup and it starts from the center of the back. I had to fiddle too because I didn't increase as much. So try this: 60 - 48 = 12 divided by 2 = 6 so try going over 6 less and see how that works.

Rachel

• 4 weeks later...

I'm excited to say that I've finished my first sock!!

I used the "Ultimate Crocheted Socks" pattern as a serving suggestion only, adding increases and decreases to fit my feet, as well as a picot edging in place of the disappointingly unstretchy ribbed cuff.

The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the gorgeous "Circus" colourway.

first_crochet_sock.jpg

I will definitely wear these - just as soon as I've finished sock #2, which is a few rows from completion!

Archived