Baby Afghan CAL?

amalin06

I am hoping this will work, Okay I got the baby round ripple afghan done and one of four receiving blankets with a crocheted edge.... Here is the receiving blanket picture...

n1372958166_30098575_3956931.jpg

And the Round Ripple

n1372958166_30098499_6010475.jpg

WOW, those are so beautiful. I might have to do a flannel blanket with a crocheted edge. The Bears on my Blanket is not turning out. Its the most difficult thing I've ever made. No 2 of the background squares will turn out the same size for me. The borders do not fit the squares, the yarn tangles up. I am at my wits end with this darn blanket!:angry

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW, those are so beautiful. I might have to do a flannel blanket with a crocheted edge. The Bears on my Blanket is not turning out. Its the most difficult thing I've ever made. No 2 of the background squares will turn out the same size for me. The borders do not fit the squares, the yarn tangles up. I am at my wits end with this darn blanket!:angry

Well...that would definitely would be easier. Except for the edging part unless you get a edgerydoo thingie. Good luck! :hook:hug

Well...that would definitely would be easier. Except for the edging part unless you get a edgerydoo thingie. Good luck! :hook:hug

The edgery-doo is what I used making the receiving blanket, It wasn't all that easy, but I did get a straight and evenly spaded edge. The fleece was self healing, so any small pin prick healed itself before I could get my steel hook through it. The second blanket that right now only has a blanket stitch on it I used a pen to mark the edgery doo holes on to the blanket, then punched them out. Crocheted a lot faster that way, but was still a pain to do. And the punch I used was a little to big I think. So I have two more blankets that have to be done, I will try a third application and see if it works better. Only I don't know what that will be as of yet. One thing I do know is I will mark the holes first, and then find something better than the punch ice pick thing that came with the edgery doo.

I have an edgery doo and I have never used it. I decided last night that I'll just make a plain dc blanket and then make some of the bears from the Bears on My Blanket pattern and sew them to it. The "windows" and "borders" of the Bears on my balnket just aren't working out for me.

So, you are making crocheted bears and then whip stitching them to a crocheted square or are the bears crocheted into the squares. And If the bears are separate and are they coming out a little too big? Do you have a picture of the pattern or what you are doing, because if this is your problem, I think I might have a solution for you.

So, you are making crocheted bears and then whip stitching them to a crocheted square or are the bears crocheted into the squares. And If the bears are separate and are they coming out a little too big? Do you have a picture of the pattern or what you are doing, because if this is your problem, I think I might have a solution for you.

This is the pattern:http://www.marymaxim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10054_17012_-1_15046_15047

You make each of the white windows. Then you make the aqua borders in between individually and stitch them together to make the blanket. Then you make the bears and sew them on. My problem is that no matter what I do the white "windows" all turn out different sizes and the borders aren't the right length for those. I bought the kit and I do not care for the yarn at all, it is very stretchy and loses its shape easily. I've decided to just do a basic dc afghan and make the large bears and attach them to it.

Ok, so I've got 4 blankies to do by July (actually, 1 each month April-July).

I'm thinking round ripples coz they work up quick :D, one in royal blue and yellow (my BIL/SIL fav footy team), two rainbow and one in red, white and blue (again footy mad parents' team colours)......

And while I'm at it I may make one for my little girl (4 month-old Lara).....

Have a number of other WIPs so thought posting here might keep me on track to finish these ahead of when the Bubs are due :cheer

This is the pattern:http://www.marymaxim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10054_17012_-1_15046_15047

You make each of the white windows. Then you make the aqua borders in between individually and stitch them together to make the blanket. Then you make the bears and sew them on. My problem is that no matter what I do the white "windows" all turn out different sizes and the borders aren't the right length for those. I bought the kit and I do not care for the yarn at all, it is very stretchy and loses its shape easily. I've decided to just do a basic dc afghan and make the large bears and attach them to it.

OKay, I see now, And I understand the problem, How about if you if just crochet the aqua straight onto the white squares to make the border of each window. But first have the bears crocheted so that you can see if they work with the white part. If the white window part needs to be expanded a bit to fit the bear, or you can have the bears hanging over the window down into another window. Either way, try doing all the bears you want first, then crochet the window and aqua border to fir the bears.

I usually make four or five baby afghans to take to new mothers at the hospitals twice a year (once at the end of April and again in October). I usually make them using Jaime's Pompadour pattern and it works up beautifully, and fairly quickly. I am now finishing up a batch to deliver for next month. Four are made with Bernat Softee Baby yarn and the other is made with a larger, fluffier yarn that gives a heavier finished product, which I will most likely save for giving this Fall. I think I'm all babied out for this year already!

Red.

So......how's it going???? :think:clap

Ladykats, you're kicking bootie. I have finished the body of mine, I gave up on the "windows and borders" and just did a plain old dc afghan. I've made one bear to attach and I think I'll make one more. Its actually turning out pretty cute despite the issues I've had

Thanks ladies,

I am working on another ghan right now, I haven't decided if it will be included in with the baby stuff.. Just I love the pattern and I got some eco friendly yarn that is a cotton blend. Now I am hoping that I have enough with 12 balls. Only time will tell. If I like it too much, I will keep it for myself and make something else for the babies. So far I have gotten two round ripples and two receiving blankets done. Need to find time to do the quilts. Then I will crochet the layettes once I know the sex of them. Thankifully, I still have tons of time to get this done.

• 1 month later...

I'm back!! The shower was a couple weeks ago, but I'm just now getting pics posted, sorry!

This is the diaper cake:th_100_2554.jpg

This is the actual cake (I made it and we had SOOO much left, the teddy bear part didn't even get cut!):th_100_2544.jpg

These are the teddy bear appliques I added to some onesies (This was one of those 2 in the morning before the shower ideas!): th_100_2541.jpg

th_100_2542.jpg

This is the bear hat:th_100_2543.jpg

and This is my SUPER_MODIFIED bears on my blanket:th_100_2540.jpg

All thumbnails can be clicked for bigger pic.

• 3 months later...

I am currently working on the Sweet Pea Afghan Vanna's Choice Baby free pattern from Lion Brand. It is with granny squares. A perfect take along project because you can make the squares so effortlessly. I love the color combination.

Ladykats, you're kicking bootie. I have finished the body of mine, I gave up on the "windows and borders" and just did a plain old dc afghan. I've made one bear to attach and I think I'll make one more. Its actually turning out pretty cute despite the issues I've had

I missed this CAL earlier in the year. I am very tempted to try your technique when I get to this ghan.

I gave the kit to a friend and saved the pattern. There was no way I could make it in that fine yarn they had. I am going to use WW for mine

OK. I'll put this back on the WIM list for this fall/winter. I love the look of it. so cute :c9

And beefi8... thanks for bumping this thread. Might get my little self in gear after all. :wlol

what do you need to click on pics to make bigger, I have tried several times left click right click, and nothing works. It is frustrating because the pics are always toooo small.

You can't do anything at this point. That is the size they are and they can't be made larger.

That is one thing I really like about our new system here: we can use bigger pics when needed. :c9

what do you need to click on pics to make bigger, I have tried several times left click right click, and nothing works. It is frustrating because the pics are always toooo small.

Mindy,

I feel your pain! Here's what I do (works sometimes) when a link to a photo is posted, as in this case:

When you left click on the link to the link, you are taken to a new page (or tab) showing the photo. In the address bar of your browser, you'll see the address of the photo (usually ends in ".jpg, .gif" or similar). Remove the last part of the address back to the next right slash ( / ). So in this case (for example):

th_100_2554.jpg'>
th_100_2554.jpg

becomes

You now see the (in this case) Photobucket album where the picture was located, and from there you can see a (usually) larger picture.

I hope this helps and that I haven't completely confused you. I came from the computer industry, and sometimes assume folks know (or understand) things they really don't.

thanks crochetdad. I will try that next time. By the way I love all your RR, you must be a fast crocheter

Yes, give it a try - it doesn't work ALL the time, but it's worth a try.

Thanks for the nice complement, and I don't consider myself a fast crocheter, but I DID come in second in a speed contest at the San Diego County Fair in 2008 (couldn't attend this year). It was fun just to enter against all those women ;))

Archived