Baby Afghan CAL?

amalin06

I got the diaper cake 90% done this weekend, just a few decorative touches to add. I also made one of the 9 squares required for the bears on my blanket 'ghan and started a second, but I was so tired I kept messing up the number of stitches so I stopped. I hope to finish up the second square tonight.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.k. It seems as though I joined you all and then never stayed with it. I have made a couple of baby afghans in the last year for my dd. Now i need to make several for a cousin and my best friend as they are expecting. Neither may find out what they are having so I will need to make two girl and two boy blankets as I dont really like the nautrals. O and my cousin may be having twins...i will find this out soon and then they will find out what they are having. Anyway, do you all mind if I join even if I am knitting the babyghan?

Goofy,

I don't see why that would be a problem, as I am not only crocheting, but quilting as well. :) These CALs are to keep us encouraged to complete our tasks and discuss ideas or get help with a pattern. I don't think that anyone would mind that a different tool is used to complete the item. I for one don't, it is more the merrier for me.

fthrem,

you go girl, your moving a lot faster than I am. I did get two receiving blankets cut out and have made the edger-doo to add a crocheted edge to them. And I got my fabric this weekend for the quilts. One is in a soft periwinkle, chocolate border and teddy bear square center. I got the teddy bear squares cut, and have started on the periwinkle stripes. Once I get it all cut out, I will work on the chocolate and then it will be sewing everything together. There are nine squares in that blanket. the second quilt I am doing is a log pattern and it will be in neon bright colors, I found a black material with rainbow stars and I will use that as the border. I also found this really soft fleece for the reverse side of the blankets. The babyghan I will crochet with this quilt will be the round ripple in very bright neon colors bordered by black to really make them pop. I will start the round ripple once I am done with this mixed square blanket I am working on now. I will wait till the baby's sex is know to crochet the layette's, if they are going to find that what they are having.

Goofy,

I don't see why that would be a problem, as I am not only crocheting, but quilting as well. :) These CALs are to keep us encouraged to complete our tasks and discuss ideas or get help with a pattern. I don't think that anyone would mind that a different tool is used to complete the item. I for one don't, it is more the merrier for me.

fthrem,

you go girl, your moving a lot faster than I am. I did get two receiving blankets cut out and have made the edger-doo to add a crocheted edge to them. And I got my fabric this weekend for the quilts. One is in a soft periwinkle, chocolate border and teddy bear square center. I got the teddy bear squares cut, and have started on the periwinkle stripes. Once I get it all cut out, I will work on the chocolate and then it will be sewing everything together. There are nine squares in that blanket. the second quilt I am doing is a log pattern and it will be in neon bright colors, I found a black material with rainbow stars and I will use that as the border. I also found this really soft fleece for the reverse side of the blankets. The babyghan I will crochet with this quilt will be the round ripple in very bright neon colors bordered by black to really make them pop. I will start the round ripple once I am done with this mixed square blanket I am working on now. I will wait till the baby's sex is know to crochet the layette's, if they are going to find that what they are having.

I am so jealous that you can quilt! I have a wonderful sewing machine that I rarely even use. I really need to get back to my sewing, but I have NEVER been able to quilt. I am making slow progress on the blanket, it has 9 blocks you make then you make borders and connect it all together, then you make various bears and hearts and stars and attach them. I'm about 75% through the second of the 9 squares. The are really easy, just 35 single crochet for 58 rows. BUT, it is a size 2 yarn and it feels like it takes FOREVER to do. At this rate it might be a first birthday gift! J/K, I WILL finish it for the shower!

I'm really glad I found this CAL, the encouragement keeps me going!

I have two baby afghans to make! :eek So now that I've reached my WUA goal, I'm going to jump in here! :) I'm going to start with the "I Wish I Could Fly" baby afghan in the "Vanna's Afghans A to Z" book. If you've never seen it, it has an airplane on a blue background. I'm going to make it for my niece, who is expecting her first child this spring. Her husband is a pilot & also a member on the Air National Guard. :yes

Once I finish that one, I'm going to finish a simple, yellow baby afghan I started last year. I just happened to like the yarn and started crocheting. I'll plan that one for a dear friend who is expecting her first grandchild! :yay

Elise,

It would be great to have my swapping friend join the CAL!!

I'm working on your last item...then I need to finish up a slipper...then it's getting the blanket done! So, I'll be here soon!!! :cheer:clap

I am so bad....I took the weekend off to go down to AC ( Atlantic City,NJ ) and Hubby gets upset if I take my crocheting. This weekend was a little get-a-way for the two of us, and he wanted me all to himself. Can't blame the guy ya know. Anyway, I did take a snow day yesterday and stayed home. Worked on my Patchwork baby blanket ( found out it is called a Babette Blanket ) and got some blocks cut out for both quilts. And actually managed to clean the living room and kitchen. Herrschnerrs is having a inventory over-stock sale, so went there this morning and bought a lot of new yarn. 33 skeins to be exact and like 15 different shades of polymer clay for my daughter with shipping it came to a total of $52.17. I bought 12 skeins of Linie Nova in Linen for 1.29 per skein...this was the most expensive I bought.

If anyone is interested in was is on sale there you can go to this page and check stuff out.

http://www.herrschners.com/Emailspecials.aspx?sourcecode=5092387&link=3&email=878984

Okay. I am going to join, too. Yippee! Don't tell anyone, but I still haven't finished my daughter's blanket. She's four... It's all done but the ruffled edge. And I used it anyway. Do you think I may need some help? :) I also have a baby shower at the end of May. So I need to do a blanket for that. I hope I finish it in time... :)

River400 -- don't feel bad. My daughter will be 32 in April and I found a ripple I started for her when I was pregnant -- I'd packed it when we were moving and it was one of the stored boxes that never got unpacked. It is a yellow/white varigated Dazzle Aire ripple -- that yarn isn't even made anymore but I have enough to finish it. Think I'll finish it, wash it and put it over the chair in the guest bedroom. It should be fine and it will make me smile whenever I go into that room.

River400 -- don't feel bad. My daughter will be 32 in April and I found a ripple I started for her when I was pregnant -- I'd packed it when we were moving and it was one of the stored boxes that never got unpacked. It is a yellow/white varigated Dazzle Aire ripple -- that yarn isn't even made anymore but I have enough to finish it. Think I'll finish it, wash it and put it over the chair in the guest bedroom. It should be fine and it will make me smile whenever I go into that room.

Darlene,

That's a cute story. It reminds me of my pile of UFOs, some of which are years old, too.

I have several UFOs for the step-grandbaby thats on the way that I know I don't have time to finish. I kept starting a pattern, them finding another one I liked and starting it, over and over. Now I'm just focusing on the Bears on my blanket. Hopefully I'll be done in time for the shower!

I just finished the third of nine squares for my afghan and my gauge is WAY off, its several inches too big. Now I have to frog and redo and I am quickly running out of time

I just finished the third of nine squares for my afghan and my gauge is WAY off, its several inches too big. Now I have to frog and redo and I am quickly running out of time

Are the other ones off by the same amount? If so, go for it as is would be MY advice...

If not...ribbit! :lol

I've got a baby knit aran afghan started. I am making it in a pale yellow. I am 15 rows into it and it is slow going. The time will be worth it though as it is already starting to look really nice.

fthrem~I agree if they are all off by the same amount go for it.

Unfortunately the first two were right on gauge and much smaller than my messed up third square. SO last night I frogged and managed to get the yarn in an absolute mess. I had a little freak out about it because I'm really afraid I won't finish it in time. My incredibly wonderful husband spent at least an hour, probably longer, unraveling my yarn mess! I hope everybody else in this CAL is having better luck than I am!

Unfortunately the first two were right on gauge and much smaller than my messed up third square. SO last night I frogged and managed to get the yarn in an absolute mess. I had a little freak out about it because I'm really afraid I won't finish it in time. My incredibly wonderful husband spent at least an hour, probably longer, unraveling my yarn mess! I hope everybody else in this CAL is having better luck than I am!

Awww, how sweet of him. Esp. after you spilling your tea the other night. He's pampering you!

Don't feel bad! I made a blanket a few years back and didn't pay any attention to my gauge. To make a long story short, my daughter ended up with a beautiful blanket for her doll! :blush

My current project has the gauge working out okay...it's just slow going! 225 rows of single crochet!

I am hoping this will work, Okay I got the baby round ripple afghan done and one of four receiving blankets with a crocheted edge.... Here is the receiving blanket picture...

n1372958166_30098575_3956931.jpg

And the Round Ripple

n1372958166_30098499_6010475.jpg

If you do edge a flannel blanket, use an edgery-doo. My biggest problem is that fleece is self healing, and punching the holes was a trail. When I got to work today, I got a punching tool and used that to make holes for the blanket stitch. The edgery-doo makes the holes perfectly even around the blanket, and if you have a razor wheel that we use in quilting to cut fabric, it is great to use the edgery-doo as a guide for the blanket corners.

Archived