Baby Afghan CAL?

amalin06

OK! I've got 3 baby blankets in progress. To get them done sooner, I'm joining this CAL.

First one is for granddaughter, and is a copy of one I already made her. She likes it so much, her mother (my DD) wants a duplicate to placate the child while her "blankie" is in the wash. Done with Bernat Baby Coordinates Baby Pink).

536597266_1338bb680f_m.jpg

The next two are for possible sale. Both are completely white (Bernat Baby Soft) One is done in sedge stitch (sc, dc, dc in same stitch, sk two sts).

624630996_530bff786c_m.jpg

Last one is called waffle stitch - very deeply textured using fpdc and dc

624630924_397c99fbf7_m.jpg

OHHH I love those blankets, the 2nd one is my favourate, might make one of those myself once i have finished the sweet dreams afghan.

Rox

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one's done in sedge stitch (sc, dc, dc in same stitch, skip two stitches, repeat) with a picot edge.

1085295032_3aec2174e9_m.jpg

Stitch/Edge Detail:

1085295200_deaad57bd8_m.jpg

I like the textured look of this one. The picot edge sets off the texture very well, I think.

This is the 2nd of 3 blankets I was working on before starting this CAL to keep me focused on completing them.

Thanks for looking.

Think I'm gonna have to join this CAL to get myself re-motivated with the filet blanket I'm making for my niece's Christening.

They have now booked the church etc for the 28th October which still gives me a little while but I need to start it again and it's found itself abandoned at the end of the sofa for quite a few weeks now!! I was asked last week to be Godmother and remembered this poor blanket - what a bad Godmother I will be if I can't even look after her blanket!!

I kind of made my own pattern by combining some others I'd found and thought I'd worked it out right but when I started it I discovered I must have worked something out wrong 'cos it's about 6ft long :eek !!! Need to re-work a few things, frog and start again.

I will check in soon with my progress!!

• 1 month later...

Well, I have frogged and re-started and all is going well! It's a good size and is working up quite easily. I do counted cross stitch too and I think that has helped with this!

I hope it's gonna come out OK cos when I showed it to my Dad he couldn't make out the flower in the pattern until I pointed it out and followed the shape with my finger!! It could just be my Dad being my Dad!! I'd hate to get to the end and have to point out to everyone what it's supposed to be! I'll try and get some piccies over the weekend to get some other opinions.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to bring this back around. seems like I have another baby shower to attend. My sister is having her first baby so I need to think of a pattern. I'm stuck between three patterns. Either the lumberjack, giant granny, or a ripple. I'm using Pink and Black. So, anyone wanna do this with me?

Amanda,

I will join you. I just found out I have two different friends expecting. Both are due in September. I plan on doing a Nappy Cake for both. One is my Cousin and they will not be finding the sex, and the other will. So I can start with my Cousin's first. I know the Nappy cake suppose to be diapers on the bottom, but I thought to make a fleece blanket instead for the bottom of the cake. I know that their house decor is all in chocolate and blues and the baby's room is a beige, so some of this will match her bedroom and some will be more Baby colors. Although I like very bright colors instead of soft pastels. Well at least you can count me in on this one.

Hi, I would love to join in for I was planning to make a baby afghan also. I will be using this pattern: http://www.projectlinus.org/patterns/ssba.html

I have some Bernat Cotton Baby in my stash (colorway - Jelly Belly) that I wanted to use, so this blanket is not for anyone in particular. I have been searching for a way to use this yarn now I have it. Thanks :hug

K I have finished my other CAL and can start on this one. I had planned on starting with the blankets first. I saw a Baby blanket pattern on Redheart tag. But I tryed the pattern last night and I don't like the way it worked up. So change of plan as usual. I grabbed my book of granny squares this morning and I will make 42 4 inch squares in the same three colors but 3 or 4 different patterns designs and make a patchwork granny baby blanket. I also plan to make a quilt ( not crocheted ) as well. So I can get matching colors for the quilt. I love this stage. :)

Amanda,

I will join you. I just found out I have two different friends expecting. Both are due in September. I plan on doing a Nappy Cake for both. One is my Cousin and they will not be finding the sex, and the other will. So I can start with my Cousin's first. I know the Nappy cake suppose to be diapers on the bottom, but I thought to make a fleece blanket instead for the bottom of the cake. I know that their house decor is all in chocolate and blues and the baby's room is a beige, so some of this will match her bedroom and some will be more Baby colors. Although I like very bright colors instead of soft pastels. Well at least you can count me in on this one.

I love those diaper cakes. I used to work in a deli and one of the bakery ladies made them. I had her make one for my cousin when she was pregnant. My son stole my fleece blanket that we had in the living room. It was a huge one and he was only a year old at the time, so I cut it in half and crochet a cute border around it. I figured when one was dirty, I could swap them and he wouldn't know the difference.

I'm in - I've already started one with the Lumberjack Flannelghan pattern in red and brown for a "Western" themed (cowboy) baby room for a baby boy.

My sister called me last night freaking out cause she wanted to know if I started the blanket yet. She wanted to switch colors. So now it's Pink and Brown.

I'm going to make her two blankets. One lumberjack for in the winter because it's so thick. and the granny ghan for in the summer. I always try to make the infant blankets with holes in them because both my son and nephews liked to pull blankets over thier heads when they were babies, and it makes me feel better that if they do that, that they can still breath through the blanket.

I started my baby's blanket late last night. It's an easy pattern which I can crochet while keeping my eyes on my 18 months old grandson as he get into things.

Is it too late to join? I just got the Bears on My Blanket kit, I'm making it for my step-dil, she's due in May and I'm throwing a shower at the end of March, so that's my deadline!

I'm actually making a diaper cake too. I'm using disposable diapers and decorating with crocheted washcloths and booties. I've made the cloths and bought the diapers but that's all. I need to get to work!

I'm actually making a diaper cake too. I'm using disposable diapers and decorating with crocheted washcloths and booties. I've made the cloths and bought the diapers but that's all. I need to get to work!

I not big on the diaper base. I figured to make a baby quilt in colors the Mother likes... my cousin's home is done in browns and blues, and being that they will not know the baby's sex till born, I will do her quilt in browns and blues to match her bedroom. This quilt will be the bottom layer of the cake, then I was planning on a receiving blanket of flannel with a crocheted edge for the second layer, then a bunting, layette, wash cloth, mittens, bottle coozies, and other such stuff for third layer and around the cake. Sometimes I do go a little over board. But this time I have plenty of time to get things done without the stress.

I not big on the diaper base. I figured to make a baby quilt in colors the Mother likes... my cousin's home is done in browns and blues, and being that they will not know the baby's sex till born, I will do her quilt in browns and blues to match her bedroom. This quilt will be the bottom layer of the cake, then I was planning on a receiving blanket of flannel with a crocheted edge for the second layer, then a bunting, layette, wash cloth, mittens, bottle coozies, and other such stuff for third layer and around the cake. Sometimes I do go a little over board. But this time I have plenty of time to get things done without the stress.

Oh, that sounds really pretty! I had great intentions of starting on by blanket and diaper cake last night, but instead I went out to dinner with my husband! I am determined to get some serious progress made this weekend.

Well, I won't get to Joann's till Sunday so I am working on a patchwork receiving blanket now from my two books of granny squares. I have found 8" 6" and 4" squares that I am making in baby colors for Karen's baby. This patchwork blanket will have a multi color, then solids of pink, blue green yellow and white mixed throughout the blanket. Only the hook and yarn weight are the same. I will piece it all together once I get the squares made and see how it looks. Don't know if I am getting myself into trouble here or not. Only time will tell.

May I join in? I'm going to make a gift for my niece, who's expecting her first child. Plus, I've been invited to a baby shower for a dear friend who's expecting her first grandchild. I have to finish some rectangles for Warm Up America this weekend. Then, I can get to work on the baby blankets! :hook

Archived