Baby Afghan CAL?

amalin06

I'm going to jump in and join this CAL because my 2nd nephew is coming in 8 1/2 weeks and he needs a blankie!

I have yet to decide on the pattern though. I really like the one sourfleed did in white w/the pink border. It's just beautiful. I also have Bernats Coordinates yarn (5 skeins), but in blue. I tried a different pattern 2 days ago and had to frog it. I am finding this yarn difficult to work with. It has that satin stripe down the middle of the yarn which is really pretty but it is also springy which I did not realize until I tried to crochet with it. That satin stripe makes it hard to distinguish the stitches. Has anyone else had this problem? I was using a H hook but I may try an I hook and see if that makes a difference.

I had the same problem with the baby coordinates! I started a blanket with an E hook and ended up frogging about 18 inches of finished blanket to work into my pink/white one because the blanket was an odd size and I was having stress trying to use the E. The I-sized hook was much easier to work with that yarn. I still had issues with it, occasionally, but I just tried to work through them. Good luck! The pattern works up really quickly and it's easy to do....in fact, after the first couple rows, you don't really have to find the stitches because you just work in the ch-spaces. Hope that helps!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone!

I've made some progress on the baby blanket and think I will be able to finish it by next end of next week (I hope) to give to his teacher! I changed the pattern a bit though. I realized that the puff stitches were taking me a long time to finish for some reason. So I decided instead of every other row being a puff stitch row, I'm making it every 10 rows. I think I should end up with 4 "sections" of 10 rows of stitches if that makes any sense. I am using the X stitch and the puff stitches but I've added a row of double crochets in there. So I guess I've pretty much butchered up the original pattern, but it did give me the inspiration for this! It seems to be going alot quicker doing it this way rather than every other row the puff stitches. I'm hoping that it will still look really cute when it is all finished!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's updates on their projects...!

100_3269.jpg

Jen B. your blanket looks great:clap whatever works for you is how you should do it. I think most of us change at least a couple things in the patterns that we do so don't feel bad. Just think, this baby is going to have a one of a kind blankie that no one else has and that is what makes it special.:hook

I want to hop in on this one too... I have a few baby blankets to make....

This one I started for my emergency babysitter...

riley2.jpg

I need to make one for my sister, but she doesn't want pastel colors (I started one, then sold the yarn), so I hope to also gather some ideas as well...

Thanks for letting me join!

Cookie Hooker

That blanket looks awsome:tup I never thought to put grannys with a ripple:think I will have to try that sometime.:dreaming

That is awesome Cookie Hooker! Combining granny squares with ripples...who would have thought? I can't wait to see the finished blanket.

Finally, I have progressed to Row 3 with my blanket and the Baby coordinates yarn is much easier to work with now. That SC in the foundation chain was very aggravating. I can't tell you how much I frogged it over the weekend. I would frog and go do something else then come back. I hope to post pics later this week of my progression. It is much faster now.

Here's the first one I churned out. It's "baby burrito" size, so it will also make a nice stroller or carseat blanket once the baby is past the burrito phase. It is based loosely off a pattern in Candy Tots by Candi Jensen. I veered off the pattern when I realized that I was bored with the pattern stitch it called for!

Also, I hate, Hate, HATE finishing projects, so I don't know why in the world I chose a squares blanket! This blanket took forever to make, so I can safely say that it is an original (cause I'm never making another like this again!).

100_1754.jpg

I hate, Hate, HATE finishing projects, so I don't know why in the world I chose a squares blanket! This blanket took forever to make, so I can safely say that it is an original (cause I'm never making another like this again!).

I know how you feel--I HATE finishing projects too. And yet, I'm also doing a blanket out of squares! :lol Yours looks great though--I love the different size cubes.

I have about 2 more rows left on my second baby blanket but I ran out of yarn. Don't you hate that?

I searched through my stash and found some of the same yarn that I ran out of. So I stole it from one of my other projects.so here are the pictures

P5240049.jpg

Here is a close up

P5240048.jpg

Wow, everyone's work looks so great! I've sort hit a rut in my work, because I had to lay off for my husband's graduation and prom, and I made my mom something late for mother's day, but I made another square last night, and as soon as I find the scissors I'm going to start right back up again. It'll be a bit late for the baby, I fear, but that's okay ^_^. Pictures soon, I promise!

amalin06, I LOVE yours. I always love color shifting patterns, they're so cool xD The Donna, yours is awesome too, I love the cubes ^o^

Is it too late for me to join?

It's never too late to join some CAL's go on for years. As long as there are baby's there will always be baby afghans:hook

The baby blankets look wonderful! :cheer I have four motifs made and about 30 some to go. I don't know why I volunteered to make another motif blanket :think I also hate doing them. But I will make it through...it is still crocheting isn't it?:hook

Haha! I have finally finished all the squares for my baby blanket.

525030758_3ded976033_m.jpg

Now I just need to do the half-squares for the sides, sew them together, line it, edge it, and I'm done!

Oh yeah, and that's one of my kittens "helping" me.

So I finally got the baby blanket finished for my friend. She really liked it and thought that the mother to be would love it also. Here are some pictures of my blanket. Hope you like it. Now it is time to start another one.

<a href=th_100_5248.jpg' alt='th_100_5248.jpg'>

Archived