"amazing needle"?

I haven't actually tried it, but I'd imagine it would work. The book "Top Technique and Special Stitch Afghans" has a short blurb on it. I gather it's a crochet hook with no thumbrest, and has a hole in the back end. You put a cord thru the hole, and a clip on the oppposite end of the cord to keep stitches from falling off. Then you "knit" using your crochet hook.

So, it's like my "Easy" Tunisian cable crochet hooks, then?

I must say, her "knit" stitches look much more like knit stitches than a TKS does. I'll have to check out my copy of Top Techniques more closely.

I have the book Lady of Roses is referring to, and I found it very interesting to read about the amazing needle. I want to give it a try, but I couldn't find it on ebay and I haven't seen it in any stores. It sells for about $10 and then I'd have to pay shipping. Not crazy about the price just to try it. I bought some bamboo hooks on ebay and plan on drilling a hole in the end of each and making my own. I'll get a whole set for less than the price of one.

Being the technique junkie that I am, I've been curious about this too but have not ordered one yet. I'd be interested to hear how anyone's attempts go, and will post if I decide to try it.

Has any one ever tried this? and if so, does it work? how does it work. I don't get it:think

I've never heard of it before this. It's an interesting looking little contraption. The bags are really cute, although I wasn't terribly impressed by the appearance of the other things they showed (the scarves and socks). In my opinion, I have seen far more impressive things that have come off the hooks of the citizens of C'ville. :yes

Elle

I have this and it is easy and IS knitting so looks just like knitting.

When I first wanted to learn to knit, I could only find lessons on "throwing' and just could not get it, so I got this (there is a yahoo group for it as well) and was really happy with it.

I then had a "Grasp" of what happens when you knit. Then found out about continental knitting and learned to knit that way.

But I could definately recommend this needle for wanting to do a certain project as you can do both with it, knit and crochet :)

I also have the locker hook and use that for it as well. But as someone said it only comes in one size.

Kath

Could you give a brief explanation of how you knit with it? Do you use one hook to knit? How?

• 4 months later...

so wait... :) i bothered to dig up this dead thread before posting my own...i'm really starting to conclude... but why not just knit? well because it says you can work in crochet and tatting right into the fabric. haven't done enough knitting to immediately recognize what would be oo ahh about it...lemme go see that special stitchs book...brb...

ok, got my "Top Technique & Special Sitch Afgans" by the Needlecraft Shop. a great find at a used bookstore...basically you work with one long crochet hook with a cable threaded through the end and a clamp on end of cable to prevent fall off. after each row, you slip all the loops onto the cable, remove, and thread a second cable to start the next row.

so i think to better understand this, i will retry knitting, rediscover that i still feel like a spaz with one needle stuck between my knees and the other whacking around, throw it out the window, and go find one of these thingies, and discover that i can knit this way. hahaha...

i found the product still for sale by the creators by googling "amazing needle", so it's still proprietary.

has anyone...ANYONE...Bueller...?...messed around with this that is willing to admit to doing this versus just learning to knit? i would really love to know more.

thanks,

technique junkie #897 -J

Just my 2 cents worth on this; If you have tried to knit before and found yourself very frustrated or all thumbs then this method could really work out for you. I do knit with two needles but crochet is my #1 thing so when I first saw them I had to try them and they do work. It is much harder to "loose" stitches , it is much easier for a crocheter to do because you are not using two needles, only one, it all depends on where you insert the hook so you are not having to do a different hand movement (with knitting on two needles you are having to hold your yarn a little different and your hands). I highly recommend them especially if you have tried to learn knitting before and failed. The instructions that came with my needles were very easy to understand and as far as I know, they are great with answering questions. Does this help you at all or ????

Eva

Archived