What Style Do You Knit?

KnicKnac

What Style Do You Knit?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. What Style Do You Knit?

• Continental
    • Throw Over
    • Other

Yarn Boy has a funny response in "Ask Yarn Boy" about Continental knitters. You can read it on this page - scroll down to the second entry (Note: the content is PG-13).

I knit Continental and that is hilarious. :lol

I don't know about other Continental knitters, but as someone who was formerly a "thrower" (English knitter) who switched to Continental, I can't believe the difference. It is faster, easier and doesn't cause carpal tunnel in your right wrist. That, in fact, is the reason I forced myself to learn Continental. My wrist was numb from knitting the other way and it was either switch or give up knitting. Also I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the movements in Continental knitting are so similar to crocheting. I only wish I had learned that method from the get-go. (Forgive me if I am self righteous - I just want to share the love!)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried continental style first since I'm a crocheter, I thought it would be easiest to learn that way... well, I got so mad at it that I put down knitting altogether for a few days, then I learned English stylle and picked it up right away. After doing it that way for a while I taught myself continental knitting but I only use it when doing fair isle patterns. Then I hold one color continental and the other color english.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I guess I do the throw over. Until now, I didn't know anything about the Continental way to knit. :blush

I knew about the Continental method, but the two people that have taught me (one about 10 years ago) and one whose store I visit when I get stuck or need a yarn fix :D don't use Continental. So I go with them. Heck, knitting is (at least compared to crochet) complicated enough. I'm not sure I could do Continental.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't vote because I was looking for the category of "Both". Other didn't seem to imply both; it suggested some other method than the two given.

Of the two, I do Continental most often but not always.

I knew about the Continental method, but the two people that have taught me (one about 10 years ago) and one whose store I visit when I get stuck or need a yarn fix :D don't use Continental. So I go with them. Heck, knitting is (at least compared to crochet) complicated enough. I'm not sure I could do Continental.

Continental is actually more natural for crocheters because it is done in a similar fashion. you are scooping the yarn with the implement in your right hand ... just like crochet. :wlol

i cannot knit Continental because my brain won't let me....if i hold my yarn in my left hand like you do when you crochet, my brain thinks it's crocheting and I can't do the stitches correctly...so i knit english (throwing) anbd i can go pretty fast...

• 3 weeks later...

I used throw over when I first started knitting and it went too slow for me so I gave it up for a while. Then, when I decided to pick it back up again, I tried continental and it clicked, so that's what I've been doing lately. It goes much faster.

Quite frankly, I tried the continental and I just cant get it - it's too hard...and my friend that knits says she doesn't understand why i can't get it, because when i crohet, she says i hold my yarn like i am supposed to hold it for the continental method...

oivea

Same for me!

• 4 months later...

I knit traditional 'throw over' because that is what my gma does (she is so fast you hardly see her index finger flick the yarn and she's almost 82). I've tried continental...I can purl just fine with it, but knit drives me crazy and takes forever(made a garter stitch scarf to try to get better...didn't happen).

I tried to teach myself continental, but I just wasn't 'getting it' A very nice lady where I work takes the time every Wednesday to stay after and has a knit/crochet class, so she showed me European, or the throw style and I caught on quickly with that. Someday maybe I'll learn continental, but I'm happy with what I know so far! ;)

I have always done the Continental or pick knit style until a friend asked me to help her finish something she was working on. I was going along fine and discovered my stitches were crossed and hers weren't. So, a frogging I went. I had to learn quickly how to make my stitches look like hers so that the finished item would not look weird. It was a quick lesson in how to knit both ways and the finished item looked great. However, I do still knit the pick knit method when I knit and it works perfect for me even on the round.

Someone taught me to knit in the 70's they taught me English or throwing well that didn't take at all! I retaught myself recently. Since I have crocheted for a few years continental felt more "right" to me. At first I was unknowingly doing combined, but I worked on my directional skills and my purling. Now it is comfortable to knit contiental style but I sometimes purl with my left thumb, instead of index finger, I don't know what the heck that is called!!!!

Only one thing stuck from the 70's teaching session ....... I still remembered the long tail cast on she taught me. I just didn't know what it was called I was trying to follow directions on the web on casting on, and it didn't make sense. So I closed my eyes and let muscle memory take over ta da it worked. I think some of the confusion sets in because I am right handed and was instructed by a lefty aaaaaaaak.

I still sometimes cast on left handed. :P

• 3 weeks later...

hi! i'm self-taught and since i've been crocheting for over thirty years, it's more comfortable for me to hold the yarn with my left hand and so i knit similar to how i crochet. i've read lots on learning to knit and i really like "domiKnitrix" by jennifer stafford. she has a website, but i didn't realize that til after i'd borrowed her book from the library. she advocates the continental method and is a strict knitter (doesn't care to crochet). i prefer crochet, but i have to say that i really liked the way the yarn seemed so much softer and less bulky. in the past few months, i've been trying out different sorts of things with crochet that gives a better drape while not being too holey. some success, some uhm not! grins, debra

I use both styles but I use Continental most often. If you had added Both as a choice I would have gone for that one.

You cannot beat continental for getting the job done in a hurry but I find that it is more difficult to hold the stitches for some pattern work with Continental so I switch back for those. it is nice to have both available for me to use as I need them.

• 3 weeks later...

hrm. im not sure what i do. I knit like a crocheter.. I hold the yarn in my left hand as i would when crocheting. I use the right needle to 'grab' the yarn and 'hook' it thru. its more of a wrist action than wrap. I believe i get the proper look of a finished item.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I viewed that site you all were talking about... Knittinghelp.com . And, do I ever feel stupid now. LOL. I know I knit Continental, but it appears that I cast on in the Old Norwegian style, kind of. Apparently I've made the cast on strictly my own...and do my own thing. LOL. I actually knit very quickly...which makes it odd for me hearing folks talk about how slow they knit. But, I also crochet VERY quickly. :)

Blessed Be.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely knit and crochet continental style. My mother learned from her grandmother who was from Germany. And of course, my mother taught me.

• 3 months later...

I knit very uniquely, I think. I use the throwover but hold the right needle under my armpit. I can only knit with long needles because of this. I learned to knit that way when I was very small from my governess growing up in Belgium.

My mother-in-law tried to teach me the continental way, but frustration took over and I just knit my own way.

I've only met 1 other lady at my club who knits this way and she is from Germany.

Happy knitting,

Betty

I was taught the throw-over style, but I live in Germany so I tried to re-learn in the continental style - but I do neither properly and that's probably the reason why I knit so awkwardly. Women who see me knit always comment on how weirdly I do it and on more than one occasion I've had people try to wrestle the needles off me because watching me knit was so painful :) On the other hand, I crochet like a goddess :lol:lol:lol haha

Archived