177 members have voted

1. 1. What Style Do You Knit?

• Continental
    • Throw Over
    • Other

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throw over and being new to knitting the tension was an issue with me for knitting. I had to learn how to relax when knitting and not pull so tight...question, how do you keep your knitting from curling? Am I doing something wrong...?

I'm a thrower (English style).

question, how do you keep your knitting from curling? Am I doing something wrong...?

If you are doing stockinette stitch (one row of knitting, one row of purling), the curling is natural and you are doing nothing wrong.

• 1 month later...

I am a convert! I switched from throwing to continental. I hated knitting because throwing was so slow and awkward. Once I learned continental, I decided to get into knitting a little now too. It is much faster and less tight.

I learned Continental first. I tried English style, couldn't do it, and had given up not knowing there was more than one way to do it. NOW I find out about combination! I'll give it a whirl. I've been watching videos over at knittinghelp.com but I guess I never scrolled down on the page enough to see directions for combination knitting. I'm pretty awkward and slow with knitting no matter how I do it. Crochet is my first love and anything crochet seems to come so much more easily to me.

I mostly knit english style. I know how to knit continental and purl continental pic, but I honesty find english more comfortable. I think it's partly because my fingers are so short and I have to constantly move my left fingers with each stitch instead of just moving the needle with my right hand. I can't use any of those little finger guides either because of my small hands, so it's just a bit tough trying to pick up the yarn for each stitch!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Me, I'm a throw over!

It seems the most natural to me.

That's me too. And they say if you are a CROCHETER first, that being a throw-over is the way to go. That's what I heard from a group of knitters at a knitting seminar at the library.

:manyheart

• 8 months later...

I knit continental style. I had to re-learn how to knit since I learned it years ago and I've forgotten how to knit, but I still remember how to cast on. I've watched several YouTube videos and one of them said that if you're a crocheter, continental would be the best style. I haven't tried the English style yet.

• 1 month later...

Archived