Red Heart yarn--rant & rave

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the yarn for the most part . I just don't like the fact with this new color i had to cut parts out that were just fiber or knots. It's basically all i ever use cause walmart doesn't carry much of anything else. It dries my hands out a little but, i can live with that . Yarn wastage is bad though.. The lady i talked to seemed to know exactly what i was talking about so i'm guessing it wasn't new news to her.

I'm with the rest of you about RedHeart . I have always used it and use it for almost EVERY project . The skeins that are the worst are the big pounder-sized ones . The quality of that is really poor . It definitely has lots of the skinny, then clumpy- looking parts, plus it is really scratchy . I also noticed that the stiffness of regular 7 oz RH depends on the color-- it seems that darker the color, the scratchier-feeling it is .

I have also noticed the changes in red heart yarn.....I always used it or afghans because it was more economical.....but now the quality is so poor that I have changed to caron simply soft.....it's a little more expensive...but the quality is soooo much better. I bought some red heart super saver bout a month ago and it is so rough I can't even stand to work with it. It's almost like it's got plastic fibers in it.....it's terrible. And the colors are way off! It's very irritating to work on a project only to find that when you start another skein the color is about 2 shades different!!:angry

I ordered some Patons Canadiana for my mom's afghan as I knew she would complain about the way Red Heart feels but she definitely needs an easily washed afghan. I really like the Canadiana even though it is a little more expensive. I bought mine at yarnbythebag.com . I started my first square and the yarn didn't hurt my hands at all. Once I am done with my Red Heart I am going to just buy the Canadiana. I mostly use acrylic for charity crochet.

Rachel

Mmm, I've been using RH for a few years now, and maybe I've just been lucky, but it is a rare thing that I have problems with the yarn. Sure it's not the softest to work with initially, but it washes up soft. I like it a great deal.

I ordered some Patons Canadiana for my mom's afghan as I knew she would complain about the way Red Heart feels but she definitely needs an easily washed afghan. I really like the Canadiana even though it is a little more expensive. I bought mine at yarnbythebag.com . I started my first square and the yarn didn't hurt my hands at all. Once I am done with my Red Heart I am going to just buy the Canadiana. I mostly use acrylic for charity crochet.

Rachel

Oh I just love the Paton's Canadiana. It's a lovely yarn and so soft. Yes, it is a little expensive, but in the end, it's worth it. Especially if it's for family or for charity, such as the chemo caps!

Does anyone else think we should email RH a link to this thread?

If it isn't against the rules, I say go for it.

I'll be sending them a letter with my own grievances pretty soon, though. I'm including a sleeve from a "bright yellow" skein (one of 3 I bought) that has white flecks all in it. They were all like that... :(

:dog Thank you everyone for the interest in and responses to my "rant and rave". It's exciting to see all the different locations, and the comments and tips have been enlightening.

Hearts & flowers to everyone. :flower

I bought mine at yarnbythebag.com .

Rachel

OK, I had never heard of YBTB until your post, so naturally I had to jet right off and explore. I can already see myself getting into big, BIG trouble with this website and their $10 and $15 bags! :eek I already can't wait until I get my next month's check so that I can use my yarn allotment money for a trip to this site! :yay I also promise not to divulge my source when my hubby asks "now who told you about THIS place?" :no I will tell him that it came to me in a dream. :yes

Elle

Just wanted to add an update to my phone call to redheart about the defective skiens i had. I got a letter in the mail today that they will be sending my yarn out directly from there distribution center to alllow 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. They didn't ask for me to send them the defective yarn back. Ok so it's gonna be slow shipping but, atleast they are replacing the defective yarn. Just thought i'd let anyone know that was placing a call that you won't have to send it back to them. Which is a good thing because i used what was usable of it and really didn't want to frog my sons rr.

I'm really upset with Red Heart as well. I purchased some dark yellow/gold color in their regular WW and after about 10 rows of 150 SC stitches there was a section about 5 inches long that had a dark color woven into the threads. I cut out that section, but then noticed it happening several more times. I then started another skein and the same thing. My afghan nad small areas that look dirty because of the dark threads in them.

Since I started this thread I've come to realize I'm lucky I haven't had some of the problems others have experienced such as the strange colors woven in with the main color or multiple knots throughout the skein. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed.)

Just wanted to post an update about the yarn they agreed to send me for the defective skiens. I just got a knock on the door 5 min ago. and my yarn arrived i had problems with 4 skiens. well i opened the box and there was 6 skiens in there . 3 of each of the 2 colors i had the issue with. i called them on april 16th. so it took me 10 days from phone call to delivery. So i guess i have to say rh has great turn over time from complaint to replacement arrival. Just thought i'd post this for those of you that wonder if you have an issue if they even bother to satisfy the customer. In fact i think i'll call and thank them for the speedy answer and delivery of the items.

Mikki, it's a good idea to thank the company for their prompt response in solving your problem. It makes for great customer/manufacture relations.

I too had problems with Red Heart yarns.....with the thickness and in having strange colors of fuzzies woven in the yarn, and the scratchiness of the yarn. It's not as soft as I would like it to be, so I switched to Bernat yarns (it's softer).....unless they don't have the color I need, then I will use some RH.

I am happy that you got a yarn replacement! That's just wonderful! :cheer

I have just had an unbelievable experience with RHSS. I bought one skein of Painted Desert at Michaels(LYS) and it was quite soft... not too worried about dye lot, as it is for my PS, and the diamonds aren't right next to each other for the most part. Went to get a 2nd skein of RHSS PAinted Desert (bought at JoAnn's), and it was SOO FAT and scratchy that I absolutely could NOT include it. I am not overly picky, but this stuff was So scratchy and rough that I couldn't even keep the same gauge! So I've been meaning to call Coats & Clark..

Archived