I'm probably beg to intermediate, but...

tygger428

I would put myself in an intermediate knitting group. Maybe someone here can help me figure out some special stitches so I can duplicate a shawl that my mother was always making.

Do you have some pictures of the shawl?

Linda Y

Show some pictures of the shawl - bet someone here can help. I learned to knit about the time I learned to walk and I know there are others who have more experience than I do!

Do you have some pictures of the shawl?

Linda Y

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. When she passed, my sister-in-law grabbed all the shawls. I don't even know if she still has them or not, since we aren't speaking.

One of the stitches she used was a popcorn stitch. In all my years, I could never get the stitch to come out. But the shawl looked like an overgrown scarf or prayer shawl and alternate the popcorn stitch with either ribbing or a cable stitch (she made them both ways).

I would put myself in an intermediate knitting group. Maybe someone here can help me figure out some special stitches so I can duplicate a shawl that my mother was always making.

Not sure what stitches you might need, is it a normal shawl, or a delicate lacy one? Lace knitting, which is what most of these delicate shawls use, has a lot of different pattern stitches. Elsewhere on this experienced knitters "subforum" someone posted an alpaca yarn site that has some delicate (gossamer type) shawls. Laceweight yarn is very delicate, I've tried working with it and find the stitches hard to see, but the end result is worth the hard labor. I found a laceknitting site that has a bunch of URLs of free patterns

http://www.knittedlace.info/?page_id=22

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I am so glad that there are few knitting groups here in this wonderful forum.

Recently, I got back to knitting as I need some breaks from crochetting. It's nice to jump forward and back between projects. I crochet for many years. I knit on and off for years, usually when I got burnt out from crochet.

I will call myself an intermindate knitter. I can do so many things such as cables, color changes, increases, decreases, etc. But I keep forgetting as I don't knit much as I do with crochet. I hope I can be of any help to the groups.

Soon, I will share my original designed scarf (diagonal) once I got it done. I only have the diagonal corner to complete. I posted it somewhere in WIP thread, I believe.

I think I can improve my knitting skills if I can overcome the yucky seaming of wearables pieces... :sigh

I love this addition to the forum, I'd been looking around at other knitting forums, but couldn't find one that was nearly as good as the ville, So when I saw this it made my night!

Recently, I got back to knitting as I need some breaks from crochetting. It's nice to jump forward and back between projects. I crochet for many years. I knit on and off for years, usually when I got burnt out from crochet.

Thats funny, I learned to crochet for when I got tired of knitting! I'm probably in the intermediate class of knitters as well, but I seem to learn fairly quickly and like to try lots of things, so hopefully with the help of other wonderful ladies on here, I will get even better.

KittyTiger, I found a pattern link that may be similar to the description of mom's shawls. It have cables, lace and small bobbles. (same as popcorns, I assume)

http://www.magknits.com/feb06/patterns/trellis.htm

Thanks to Tampa Doll's suggestion, I managed to find this link through Knitting Pattern Central. It's Trellis & Vine by Sauniell N. Connally. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm still a beginning knitter, but I think I'm ready to move on past scarves, and dishcloths. I found this http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Knitting/Projects/Accessories/LM0236+Knit+Twisted+Scarf.htmwrap and just fell in love :manyheart with it. I can't seem to find a crocheted one that just calls out to me like this one does. I'ts exactally what I need to cover my shoulders when I wear a summer dress somewhere where the air is set a little too cold.

I have couple of questions about the pattern for you more advanced knitters. One is how do I go about purling the first round before I join the stitches?? Won't that join them right away??

Question no#2 is how do I twist the stitches?? Do I do it before the purling round or after?

I've done the slp stitches, and psso on a few scarf patterns so hopefully this will be the only help I need.

Usually I can pass up a pattern that is a little beyond my skills, but this one is just haunting me. I want it -- I want it :c9

Thanks in advanced for any and all the help you ladies can give me

Kathy - Hi there! Glad that you have a desire to take up a challenge!

To answer your questions of the pattern:

1. It's simple. Cast on the stitches that pattern asked for. You will end up with the cast-on stitches on the needle, ready to be knitted or purled (for this pattern). Cast-on stitches then purl one row. When you finished the purl row. Don't join yet.

2. You just twist the purl row ONCE. Usually the patterns instructed not to twist the row before joining the rows into a tube on circular needles. In this case, it need to be twisted once then join the first and last stitch ( become next row). For this pattern it is recommended to put one markers on needles... put a marker between first and final stitches (put the marker on right needle after final stitch of the purl row, and join) - that way you can know when it will be next row. Slip the marker on right needle from left needle and start a next row. It will be easy to count rows.

Another thing I can think to help is know what K2tog means - knit two stitches together as one stitch. I assume you know what yo (yarn over) is as you are familiar with psso.

Row 20 look a bit challenging. Let me know if you know how to do it when you reach it.

Hope this post is helpful! Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Archived