Comfortghan for Alex

Mermaiden

Hi all,

I want to do something for someone but I need some squares, if anyone is up for the task of pitching one in. Send me a PM and I'll let you know my mailing address, of course, if you are able.

The brother of someone I know (my ex's best friend's brother, actually) was in a very bad accident that has left him changed for life. He's lucky to be alive really - he was in a coma for a little while, but came out of it. His story is here, http://www.alexgetwell.com/ where his big brother has been posting the details for all the friends and family.

I feel so bad for them, because he was such a popular and well-loved fun loving kid, and now he has to be taken care of and will always have special needs. I don't know Alex personally but all the same, I this gesture would mean a lot to him and his family.

He's 16 so I was thinking it should be all in dark colors - black, brown, dark green, maybe even a good time to break out the camo, etc.

As far as ideas for square design... I was thinking 6-inch square, and stuff he likes music like Eminem, sports, likes playing games on his PSP, swimming, boxing, cars... his myspace link is at the bottom of the site, if you wouldn't be easily offended :X to look at it for some additional thoughts on who he used to be. Stuff that a typical 16 year old guy thinks is cool would be cool to him, I'm sure.

Worsted would be fine, and if you'd like to go ahead and edge them, I think edging in lighter neutral colors like tan or grey, or off-white, would be just great.

Seems like a tough request, this will actually be the first time I have made squares! So that's one reason I wanted to post here for donations. I'll put them all together and send it off when it's done. I hear he gets cold a lot since his surgery so he will actually be able to put this to good use, in addition to the gesture.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has the time & creativity. :hug

------------------

Currently completed/received: 72

Need: no less than 57

Received squares:

Salos

mythunderbird

pineknott

scc51055

bettycrackpot

jmccrochet

crochetsal

Eneida

sfgwife

KellyK

Vickietoria

I'll be making some squares for Alex. My son is 22, and suffered a TBI one year ago. I know what brain injury does, so I'm glad to see someone making progress. Tim is still in a minimally conscious state, and I've been making lapghans for his fellow patients in long term care.

Mermaiden

Do you have a deadline for squares? If it is not coming up too soon I could help out. I have some camo yarn looking for a good project (it's left over from a friend's kid's afghan). Let me know

Thanks

Joyce

Nope, no particular deadline as of yet. He is home now so I will just get it there when it can get there. I'll post updates as it progresses so anyone who is working on something will know. :)

Thanks so much! :hug

Mermaiden

Just wanted to let you know my squares will be going out in the mail to you Friday or Saturday so should be there some time early next week

Joyce

mermaiden 5 squares coming your way as we speak or type:lol:lol:lol oh i crack myself up:devil:devil:devil sorry :blush am silly tonight lol hope they help and alex soon is feeling much better:hug:hug:hug

Thanks all :hug for the kind contributions, 17 received so far and there are even more on the way; now that I'm seeing the colors we have I'm now starting to fill in my squares too. Yay, I can't wait til I can take some pictures to show! :)

Thanks all :hug for the kind contributions, 17 received so far and there are even more on the way; now that I'm seeing the colors we have I'm now starting to fill in my squares too. Yay, I can't wait til I can take some pictures to show! :)

Good to hear it's coming together. Despite my previous post my squares went out TODAY, not last week as I'd planned. They're on their way from Indiana

Joyce

I'll be working on his squares tomorrow as my mom and I drive up to Lancaster PA to pick up my brother. I've been remiss as we had company and then started renovating my bedroom (only half done...eeep)

Woo woo, it is moving right along - I am so excited! Had to share. Here's what I have made + received so far. I made the Jackalopes this weekend and still have several more squares to produce. :hook

2457274520026294795sFJEkV_th.jpg

(clicky)

Sorry the pic is kinda weird and sideways, lol. It was hard to fit them all in the shot like that. Betty Crackpot sent the hat for Alex. I know he is going to love that nice & thoughtful extra touch!

• 2 months later...

Wow, long overdue for an update. He was so thrilled at getting the hat! I went ahead and sent it on to him with a note. I have not made much progress on squares lately, but haven't stopped working! If anyone is up for more squares, I'm going to make sure focus my time on these once I'm done with the accessory swap, and will have another batch out soon too. His brother said he has been getting chilly a lot after his surgery so this afghan will be even better for him than I had hoped for. :)

Hmm, 38 more are needed to finish it. That's not counting the ones I'm going to be working on yet, that's just total! Have a couple of you working on some more again now too. :) Which is greatly appreciated!

Hi! I just PMed you, and I'll be sending as many squares as I can make out of a 5 oz. ball of Red Heart Camo. :) Hopefully I can get at least 10 squares, but we'll see. I'm also doing the square CAL, and I'm glad that KellyA reminded me of it!

Victoria

Ok. I just finished using that ball of camo yarn. It made 9 squares, with about 2 yards of yarn left over. I'll include that for you to use to join the squares, or you can throw it out if you're going to boarder the squares first. I also left the final tails long, so that if you need to make them smaller, you don't have to look for the tail, although they're just a hair over 6" square.

Just send me an addy, and I'll put them in the mail asap.

Glad I could help!

Victoria

Archived