Special Interest Usergroups for Knitters

Amy

Lately we've noticed that quite a few of our members have been asking about other message boards for knitters. Many have indicated they would like to have a place here at Crochetville where they can learn more about the world of knitting with all of their Crochetville friends who share that interest. We've been thinking of how we could add this capability without disrupting the forum for those who prefer we maintain our crochet-only focus. We are pleased to announce that we have found a solution!

For those of you who don't want to have any knitting intruding on your standard crochet-only content at Crochetville, don't worry! Nothing is going to change for you at all. Just keep on with things as normal. :)

Those of you who ARE interested in having a dedicated place to talk about knitting with your Crochetville friends, we are pleased to announce two special interest usergroups:

Beginning Knitters: for those who want to learn how to knit, and also for experienced knitters to share their expertise

Experienced Knitters: for experienced knitters to share their joys and frustrations with each other

How to Join These Groups

You will not be able to see either of these areas unless you take special action to join these groups. To join either or both groups, click on your User CP link in the dark blue navigation bar at the top of any forum page.

Scroll down to the Miscellaneous section on the left and click on the link for Group Memberships. From there, you can choose to join either or both of these groups.

How to Find These Groups

Once you have joined these groups, you will see a new category on the main Crochetville page called Special Interest User Groups. It will appear at the bottom of the main page, just under the About Our Little Village section.

Once you have joined one of these groups, posts from that group will appear when you click the "New Posts" link or when you use the search feature. If you have NOT joined the group, you will not see posts from the group when you click the New Posts link nor will those posts appear when you use the forum search feature.

If you have questions about how these new optional knitting usergroups work, please join us in the discussion thread here.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHOO-HOO! This is great :cheer as I'm so green when it comes to knitting that I make Kermit the Frog jealous. :lol Seriously though, it'll be fantastic to have a spot to come to ask the more experienced knitters for advice and to answer any questions I have. I love the idea of switching between the two and hopefully....eventually....combine the two, but that's waaay down the road.

I'm glad everyone who's posted so far is happy with the decision to add these groups.

I'm not an expert knitter by any means, but I'll be happy to give whatever assistance I can to everyone who wants to learn. :)

Actually, this is pretty darn cool! I love my crochet, but I really want and have been trying to knit for ages. All the "other" boards don't have the help and motivation that this board does, so I am HAPPY to have this available to me!

I LOVE Crochetville. I LOVE how supportive everyone is and how warm the atmosphere is. Now I can carry that love with me into the knitting world. That's perfect.

I think I'll join both groups although I'm not an expert knitter. I still want to see exquisite knitted "show and tell" items, and I'm sure I can learn lots from the experts!

OO OO OO!!!

Can I just add, that I like the way there is a little smily face that marks the threads that belong to the usergroup! When I come to the 'Ville, the first thing I do is check my subscriptions, then I hit "New Posts" - Now I will know which ones are for the usergroups!!! How cool is that???

I also joined the "expert" group - I didn't want to feel left out of seeing all their cool stuff!!!

WOOT!

I don't knit, nor have any intention to learn anytime soon, so I really like the fact that I can opt not to view the boards. One of the things I like about this place is the focus it has on Crochet as a whole--especially since Crochet is almost always just lumped in with the "k-word"--while also allowing conversations about off-topic thoughts and ideas in their own specific areas.

Now how accomodating and cool is this?! You admins rock! I don't know how to knit, well, I can cast on, but it goes downhill after that! LOL!

So, the way you have incorporated knitting without changing the main board posts is really smart and really clever and really, really, really... you know,

WOW!

Amy,

I do not knit. I tried and found that it was not for me! One too many implements for me (:rofl)! I love crochet (:manyheart) and am very happy that you are leaving Crochetville sorta "as is" for those of us who like it that way. Thank you (:clap)!

However, having said that, I must admit that I'm intrigued by knitting using knitting looms/boards (:think). This is very different than knitting using two needles! SO - how about creating a usergroup for those of us who want to learn how to use the tools of this craft and those who are already creating beauty with them!

Ok, can someone help me find out where to apply to be in these groups? I couldn't find the "misc" section anywhere. Is it just me? A link, something? :~)

DonnaLynn: Go to top of your page, see where it says "User CP"? Click on that and scroll down to "Miscellaneous" (on the left side) then click on "Group Memberships."

Wow your timing is amazing. The latest Interweave just made me finally want to "remember" how to knit. I learned as a child but haven't touched a needle in 35 years! When the last IC issue came out the knit/crochet combo piece made me really mad - I wanted to make it. This time instead of getting mad, I decided maybe it was time to face the music!

Knowing me I will jump right in and try this as my first piece!

I just got a knitting loom and find it like crochet because the tool you use is like a hook. I got it for my son actually and he likes it so far (2 days!) and he will be 4 next month. I wrap and he puts the loops over.

Rachel

i tried to learn to knit but was never able but i think it is a wonderful idea because the two can go together so well... thanks again AmyS for keeping our group ahead of the times.

Archived