Edgery Doo Users - What do you think?

Podger1

I am looking for some honest comments from people who have purchased the Edgerdy Doo to add crocheted edgings to fabric. I want to make sure that I am spending my money wisely, if I decide to purchase one. ;)

Things I am wondering about:

Does it work with all types of fabric or only fleece? (e.g. could you use it on cup towels or pillow cases?)

How much physical effort does it take to actually punch the holes? I have done crocheted edgings before and punching those holes with an old-fashioned awl was a pain. It might have just been the awl I was using.

How long does it take to actually line up the fabric and cut and punch all of the holes? Are we talking about several hours of prep to get to the point where the crochet actually begins? I don't know if I have the patience for that.

What type of yarn do you use to do your edgings? Are the holes big enough for WW or do you use sport weight?

Any comments would be appreciated! Thank you! :)

Does it work with all types of fabric or only fleece? (e.g. could you use it on cup towels or pillow cases?) - I have poked holes in two layers of fabric with interlacing in between and it works just like it did with the fleece. I have been wanting to try making potholders with fabric and crochet so I was testing it out, altho I do not have a finished project with it yet.

How much physical effort does it take to actually punch the holes? I have done crocheted edgings before and punching those holes with an old-fashioned awl was a pain. It might have just been the awl I was using. - I am not a strong woman by any means, and poking the holes was easy - but I haven't tried it with all types of fabric. What is nice is that she gives you this rubber end thingie that goes on the awl and for some reason it makes it a bit easier. Also, I can see me using a rubber mallet for thicker material like denim or something.

How long does it take to actually line up the fabric and cut and punch all of the holes? Are we talking about several hours of prep to get to the point where the crochet actually begins? I don't know if I have the patience for that. - Not long at all - by no means, not several hours. The first and only COMPLETED project I have done so far with it is the Frog Pillow - from beginning to end it was about two hours. I have to say that there is a 'trick' to get your hook into the holes, sometimes it's easy and other times it's kinda hard.

What type of yarn do you use to do your edgings? Are the holes big enough for WW or do you use sport weight? - I have used WW - Caron SS and a "C" hook to get it into the holes, then I changed to a "H" hook when the foundation row was done.

Now, here are my own comments about the "EdgeryDoo":

I have seen some threads on here about 'cheating' the process, sure, you can do that. You can do a blanket stitch, personally, I like the "crocheted" look (the two pieces of thread rather than just one - if you know what I mean). Also, you can get an awl and do it yourself without the guide. One thing is you gotta be good to get something evenly spaced!

Just like everything else in life, there are things that make your life easier, you just gotta decide if it's that way for you. For example, I swear by my yarn winder. Did I need it to continue crocheting? No way. Do I love to have it around because it saves me literally HOURS by winding balls in nice little cakes? Oh yeah. The EdgeryDoo is that. You don't need it to crochet edgings on a blanket, but it sure is nice to have.

Hope that helps.

Hey, great thread. I've been pondering over this topic too.

I had been wondering about the holes. My understanding of a hemstitching machine is that it adds thread to help keep the holes open so they're easier to crochet in. Of course doing it yourself you don't get that. Fleece seems like it'd be about the hardest fabric to work the hook through, but sounds like it's do-able, eh? I was curious about how big the holes are that the tool makes.

I'm a BIG fan of the EdgeryDoo! It makes things really easy. It's not a MUST, but depending on what you like to crochet, I think it may be worth the investment. I've actually gone back and purchased some additional templates - and Marlene - the edgerydoo lady who is a member here - is SOOOOO nice!!!

Does it work with all types of fabric or only fleece? (e.g. could you use it on cup towels or pillow cases?)

I've used it to edge kids t-shirts and it worked just fine, but mostly I have used fleece

How much physical effort does it take to actually punch the holes? I have done crocheted edgings before and punching those holes with an old-fashioned awl was a pain. It might have just been the awl I was using.

Very easy to punch the holes. The thing is that you need a board to punch on. I couldn't find a ceiling tile so we bought something else - some sort of insulation foam, and wrapped it with plastic wrap. Actually punching the holes is EASY

How long does it take to actually line up the fabric and cut and punch all of the holes? Are we talking about several hours of prep to get to the point where the crochet actually begins? I don't know if I have the patience for that.

I purchased one of the wheel cutters that they sell in the quilting section - looks sort of like a pizza cutter. It takes about 5 minutes for me to trim the fabric and punch all the holes. I fold the fabric twice so I punch through 4 layers. very fast and easy

What type of yarn do you use to do your edgings? Are the holes big enough for WW or do you use sport weight? - I've used thread, worsted weight, and big fluffy novelty yarns.

If you want to do one project, its probably not worth it. If you like doing edgings its definately worth it. I do a lot of charity projects and it's so fast and easy to make edged fleece baby blankets or lap blankets. It's also cute for t-shirts and tops and things. If you enjoy edging and do projects often - I think it's worth it. I would have no patience to measure the holes and punch holes without it. If you're not going to do more than one or two projects, its now worth it.

I really like mine. I've only made one blanket so far. I used worsted weight and it came out really nice. What I like about it is that with the template the holes are set apart uniformly. It makes it easy to figure out an edging.

Archived