Friends and family refusing to buy yarn! (little rant sorry)

I know what you are talking about. My birthday is 2 weeks after Christmas and I asked for yarn for my birthday since I knew I would not get it for Christmas. I got a gift card instead. Everyone is like why do you want more yarn. I only have 4 storage boxes full not to mention the secret stash I have in trunk of car. I can relate with you 150%.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand what you are saying. I have close relatives that always say they never know what to get me and I'm so hard to buy for and usually they end up giving cash. Now I'm not being ungrateful but it really hurts my feelings that they don't pay enough attention to my interests to know what I like. Even my MIL does a better job of getting things I like. Go figure.

I'm lucky with my mom and dh though. For my birthday this year dh took me out to eat and then went to THREE craft stores with me (he really hates going in them) and just followed me around pushing the cart while I picked out what I wanted. He even found the lighted hooks for me because he knew I wanted one. What a sweetie.

This year I mentioned to my mom that hobby lobby was marking down all their clearance and she said "meet me down there after work and you can pick out your Christmas gifts". Yea! It was like getting two gifts. The fun of shopping and picking out crochet stuff and the stuff itself. Woo Hoo!

I am very lucky in this regard, but I am also rarely surprised. I always know exactly what I want, and DH gets it for me. Although, he and DSS did surprise me with a subscription to Crochet Today for Mother's Day. My family draws names among the adults, so it just depends on who gets me.

My parents always do a gift card to each person's favorite store.

I think that gift cards for certain people are very practical gifts, as long as they are for stores that the recipient loves! My DH is always needing something in the way of tools, so I always get him a gift card to Lowe's or some place like that. I don't have any idea what tools he wants, and I want him to have a gift he'll enjoy.

I think it was this thread (too lazy to reread all posts) someone mentioned wanting suade yarn as a gift but taking forever to get enough. Lionbrand has an afghan kit on sale that is made with suede yarn. A good way to get lots of yarn cheap.

Archived