Friends and family refusing to buy yarn! (little rant sorry)

Whenever my friends or family ask me what I want as a gift (christmas, birthday, etc.) I either tell them yarn or a pattern book or something else crochet related. For some reason, most of the time, their response is "I'm not getting you YARN for (insert occasion here)!!!" :eek Like it's such a horrible thing. I don't have a HUGE stash either. I have one rubbermaid tub of yarn etc. and everyone seems to think that is SO MUCH and I should be able to make whatever I want from it. They don't understand about weight of yarn for projects or that you usually need more than one skein to complete a project. And it just frustrates me that they ask what I want, and when I tell them, they refuse. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It happens to me all the time!!!! This was the first year (Christmas) where I actually got some crocheted related things. Finally got hubby to actually pick up a skein of yarn and buy it for me! My mom got me a gift card to Jo-Anns so that was cool but other than that, I get the same response from everyone else!

Perhaps you should be more specific in your request. "I'd like x-number of skeins of y-yarn so I can make z-project" or "I'd like x-book title". That way it's not so general. You could also point out that yarn isn't the cheap gift they think it is.

I think the problem is that a lot of people view something like yarn as "not good enough" for a birthday gift, christmas gift, etc.

To be honest, I used to think the same thing until I got married and my hubby would specifically ask for hobby-related things (he, like me, has several). The more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

But to someone who doesn't have a hobby, or just doesn't understand crochet as a hobby, I can see where they would think it's not "good enough."

I'd just ask for a gift card to your LYS or hobby store, or heck, even Wally World.

That way, you get the yarn you want, and they can buy you a "real" gift.

Hey, at least they don't buy you knitting gifts instead of crocheting gifts. That's what I got last Christmas - ALL knitting related gifts instead of crochet stuff. Which was okay, as I did want to learn to knit, but I really, really wanted SnBHH, not the SnBK book.

My mom and husband both think getting me yarn (or wire or beads) is lame. They say they feel like they're cheating and taking the easy way out. My mom will get me pattern books, and my husband has gotten me fancy hooks/needles; I'm not where the difference lies.

I found out that my husband was planning on picking up some beads and wire for Valentine's Day for me, but one of his lady coworkers talked him out of it: "At least buy her real jewelry! If she has to make it herself, it isn't a gift!" I guess I can sort of see where she's coming from, but... sigh. Nine times out of ten, I get more (or as much) out of the process as I do the finished product.

My sister-in-law gets it more, I think in part because she likes to sew. Last year, she got me a gift certificate to a bead store and that was easily my favorite present.

I always ask for (and receive!) sewing or crochet items for gifts. Or occasionally books. I think they have all decided I might as well have what I want. It is certainly easier on them!

i dont bother asking for gifts anymore... i just ask for money

but i even run into problems there, a lot of people feel they have to put some effort into the gift so they give me a gift card, even if i say NO GIFT CARDS

i cant put a gift card in my savings and half the time its to stores i dont like

sometimes im able to get someone to buy it off me though

last year i got hooks and knitting needles from "santa"

this year i got a bit of yarn

i typically dont ask for yarn or anything like it... if we're at the store around christmas and i want yarn my mom will sometimes buy it and put it away for me, but she wont buy it without me telling her exactly what and how much i want

I get that from my family alot, especially my mom. She feels that anything such as yarn or even a gift card to my favorite craft store is "so impersonal". But what she doesn't realize is that for me, it is very personal and such a great gift.

I always tell my SO and DD before a holiday even comes up that I'd gladly accept anything craft-related. I think my SO figures I can go get what I want as I need it, so I rarely get any of it for a gift. I can't complain, though. He gave me my sewing machine for Christmas a couple of years ago...and I didn't even ask for it! :manyheart

I asked for the SnB HH book for Christmas, and I think my Mom thought I was asking for something naughty. I tried to explain, but it was no use. I have asked for yarn for Christmas & Birthday, but I don't get it. No one shops at the LYS I guess. I tell them that it would be really cool to have some silk or cashmere that I would never be able to buy myself, but it falls on deaf ears. DH would save money on gifts if he would just listen.

I would never ask for cash or gift cards, as I hate giving them. I love giving a gift that took thought and effort. I hate just giving cash--except for graduates or wedding gifts. When someone is just starting out I know who nice that little bonus can be.

Yes. I have to say that this does frusterate me too. They complain that they don't know what to get me and then they get me things that are so unpersonal and I don't even like. Like knic knacs and clutter things like that. I would be so tickled pink if they would just get me yarn or a book or something. (not even a crochet book...it could even just be a book to read) Or else they get me a gift certificate to a store I don't even shop at, because its a store they shop at when I ask for a gift certificate to MIcheals or Joann's or something. Its almost as if they don't want to take the time to make the "special trip" to a store they don't shop at to get me something I really want. I do know what you are talking about.

I guess I'm lucky...my family is frequently buying me crochet-related gifts for birthdays and Christmas. I think they're glad I'm so obsessed with fiber arts around those times of the year, actually. Makes me easy to shop for.

I think LaurieE's idea about making a specific request is a good one. Maybe if they see that you have a plan in mind for what you want, and you don't just want to kind of play with it, they'll take you more seriously.

I can sortof feel your pain. Before I re-took up crocheting, my family had NO idea what to get me. (not like I am that difficult, at least not in my mind). I can not TELL you how many sets of bath items they would give me (and I'm a bbw, so squeezing my ample curves into a small tub and having the COLD porcelain pressing my warm flesh is NOT what I concider relaxing) w/ smells that would make my head hurt. (shudders).

Since I retook up the crocheting, at xmas, a cousin gave me a very nice sisal(?) bag from walmart filled w/ yarn, a client gave me a collapsable pouch stand thing from Joanns FILLEd w/ yarn, and for v-day my bf gave me about 7 diff colored balls of thread.

SO!! I'm thinking my family is very glad that they NOW have an idea of what to give me. lol. (and so am I).

OH, and my bf also tends to make me related items. He made me a tassle maker, copied an old style small loom for me, and is trying his hand at making a ball winder for me.

Giving the family more specific items might be an idea. Maybe hint you'd like a shawl/quilt/something other like in a fancy smancy publication, but in a very diff color combination. then go "HEY! if you get me the yarn as a gift for x occassion, I can then make it like *I* want it".

Sandy

Every Christmas my husband asks me what I would like for Christmas. I say the samething each time, "Yarn." I tell him to take our 8 year old daughter to Joann's and she can show what yarn I usually buy (RedHeart or Caron one pounders). I have yet to get one skein. :( He usually gets me a gift card to a women's clothing shop at the mall. His heart is in the right place. But it frustrates me to no end that he asks me what to buy, I tell him, and then for some unknown reason he won't buy it. Of course, maybe he is trying to tell me something. I'm not the best dressed woman by far and the gift cards are to places like "ColdWater Creek". Maybe he wants me to dress better. I have the worst time finding anything that fits. And I just hate clothes shopping, especially at the mall.

This happens to me all the time. I tell them get me yarn, and they reply"I'm not getting you yarn" So instead they get me something (although well meaning) that I can't use, that really isn't my style, or doesn't fit. UNTIL this past Christmas I opened a present from my sis:c9 , and inside was skeins of yarn, A set of hooks, and some patterns. I thought I had won the lottery. My sis does not share my love of crochet in anyway,:no so I was touched that she bought me yarn. :hug She even remembered not to get me wool:1sheep (alas allergic).

Mother's Day is coming Dare I hope?

:sigh I soooooo feel your pain! Every year at Christmas and around my b-day (which happens right near Valentine's Day) they all ask what I would like. Every time I answer with items that are needle-arts related. Nothing. However, last year I did get lucky. My mom got me a set of knitting looms, and dh bought for me a rolling yarn tote from JoAnn's. One of my SILs gave me a gc to JoAnn's. This year, not quite so lucky. They all asked the same questions, and my SIL still gave me a JoAnn's card (yay!! I bought 2 books I'd been wanting for a while!) and one of my aunts gave me a pendant yarn cutter (I now wear it every day, and out of all my Christmas gifts, it's my favorite!). Dh and I didn't exchange gifts this year, since we gave our exchange $$ to "Santa" for gifts for dd (you know, to help him out ;)). When my dad and I were walking through the mall, shopping for Mom, I even pointed out things I was interested in (including the "If you get [x], I can make [x] for so much cheaper, and it would be better made!")...I guess it only works if Mom does it. :think

Not only that, but dh doesn't believe in giving handmade items for gifts. For my FIL's b-day in December, dh wanted to get him a new memory card for his camera. I was already 3/4 of the way done with an afghan for him! :eek I told him that his dad didn't need a card...Besides, the afghan would last longer and not be obsolete in a couple years like the card would. "But yarn is cheap," dh told me. I look him square in the eye, and said, "Yes, an individual skein [for that afghan] is less than $3, but I have over $60 of MY OWN PERSONAL money in that blanket. Besides, your dad just bought himself a new card!" With that, dh's eyes about popped out of his head. "$60?! Are you sure?" I wanted to hit him. :lol

I've lucked out. About a month ago my husband figured out that he's pretty well set as far as shopping if he keeps gift cards to places like Joanns for me. He joked about just keeping a stash of gift cards for gift-giving holidays!

He gave me a $25 gift card to Joanns for my birthday last year, and he was there when I came out of Joanns proudly toting my purchase that I made with the card. :manyheart So now he knows he can take the 'easy' way out of gift-giving with Joanns cards at least. :D

I agree with Laurie. I think it just makes them uncomfortable to have to decide what to get you. They probably fear they will disappoint you with their selection. For instance, I can just imagine getting some doily pattern book, which I don't make nor want to. I think if you are specific and write it down for them, they don't have to worry that what they get you will be "wrong". Even though most people say they don't have a preference, they really do. :)

I'm pretty lucky, in that my mom spoils me, and buys me yarn without me asking....yay! So i don't have to buy too much, unless i have a really specific pattern in mind.........

but for the holidays which we usually get presents, all i want is self-care items. ones that i know i won't buy for myself. So, I got a hair straightener for christmas, and lol DH got a foot spa from my mom, because he's on his feet all day at work. (that he'll let me use) and let's see.......what else did i get. the other year, i got a pretty soap set from my MIL. One year, Dh just gave me money for mother's day i think, to get myself something. lol what I got sounds weird, but at the time they were things I really needed! I bought myself some hair color, some razors for shaving my legs, hmm. some little brass safety pins, for stitch markers, and .....i think there was some other little kind of thing too.....lol. Yeah, I shouldn't be allowed to buy my own presents anymore! ...i rip myself off!!!!!!! I got a gift certificate to get my hair cut and colored one christmas. that was awesome! because i can't afford to get my hair colored professionally or even cut.......ugh...

I keep a wishlist at amazon.com, if anyone asks.. I direct them there. I don't care if they buy it from amazon or go somewhere else.. It's just a handy place to keep a list.

I also have a running wishlist for ozarktwist hooks.. but those I only ask my dh to purchase.

Archived