Yarnaholics anomynous...

yarnyviolet

I hope I spelled that right. I have a yarn buying problem. Now I know I shouldn't complain as my husband doesn't come back permanently until February so I don't have to hide everything until he comes home for two weeks in December. I don't think I can possibly crochet all the yarn up in time. My hands are already getting sore from all the crocheting I do and my son instantly starts crying if I pull a project out when he is around. How do you keep yourself from buying yarn? To make matters worse I was babysitting for a week and a half and dh says to blow the money on whatever I want as it is money we didn't plan on having. Ermm...that is a couple hundred dollars and we have no space for the amount of yarn I could buy with that. I would spend it on clothes but german clothes are all made for 6 ft beanpoles and not 5 ft somewhat bosomy women like me.

Please help.

Rachel

I think all I can do is pretend to sympathize. I haven't had that problem yet, luckily (?)... unfortunately (?)... Maybe just tuck the money back for an emergency, because you never know about those. :hug

Hello. My name is Deb and I am a Yarnaholic.

(cue crowd to say, "Hello Deb!") :rofl

Seriously... I worry about this sometimes too. I don't have a problem with spending the rent... (I live with Mom in her paid for home) It's the amount of space that's a problem. When you have two women, with multiple hobbies, living in the same space... add yarn, paper, rubber stamps, scrapbooking supplies, cross stitch patterns, oh goodness.. you NAME it! haha

I think (sometimes) that if I bring one more skein of yarn into this house... I'll have to add on another room!!!

(and may I add.... the mailman just brought a box of yarn - I won an Ebay auction. It's a mish-mash of yarns... cast off by someone who THOUGHT she would like to crochet... but decided she didn't???? :thinking2 )

All I can say is.... keep on hooking (umm.. crocheting) :wink and make something fabulous for the DH so that he won't be too mad when he comes home.

i think the thing that really keeps me in check.. i watch that show clean sweep.. and think if i clutter my house up too much some one will turn me in to them and then all of america will see just how much stuff i have LOL.... plus its has taught me i have a finite space.. and only so much can fit that space... i agree with yarn girl.. tuck it away.. use some of your yarn and reward yourself later ...

Well I would save it if I could hide it from my husband. He is not very good at saving. I would have to send it to Canada.

He has started smoking again. I think the "go and blow it" thing is because he feels guilty about the money we spend on cigs for his filthy habit:th

We actually have most of an attic and half a cellar full of space but I am getting close to the end of easily accessable, baby-proof storage.

I have decided to spend some of it on some hooks from turn of the century. I have the small set but I want some of the larger sizes. I don't own any of the larger sizes so I actually need them (to crochet some of the chunky yarn I have).:))

Rachel

well trust me .. had i found Bill first i wouldnt have these brittanys....

i lusted for the brittanys for ayear before i broke down and got them.. dont get me wrong they are nice.. but Bill's are MUCH nicer.. he has even done some custom hooks for me in special sizes .. and FAST... I wont buy another wooden hook that is made by any one else at this point!

Guest PaisleyAngel

Hi Rachel! I think a lot of us have that problem to some extent. I try to always buy yarn that I know I can use for a project I have in mind. For example, I saw some Fun Fur Hawaii one day when I was out with my husband. Although it was at Walmart and at the cheapest price, I held off. I wound up getting a skein this weekend because I now have an outfit it would match and I plan on making a scrunchie for me, and more for my nieces. That doesn't mean that I haven't gone out and splurged on yarn and said, 'yeah, that's a fine sweater yarn!' of course I have and of course it's still waiting to be made into a sweater. But I really try to keep myself in check by only buying yarn needed for a particular project in mind. Hope this helps! Another thing I do is keep a list of the stores in my area and how much they charge for yarn. Then I compare that list of regular prices to the sale prices and I make sure I never pay more than the lowest price on my list, even if it means driving a bit to get to the right store. That helps keep the money in check, too.

Guest knuckles145

I've only been crocheting for 4 months and already have a problem. I keep taking all the yarn and thread being offered on our local Freecycle list. I have NO idea what I'm going to do with the 6 boxes of yarn and thread I have already acquired. (although the 10 skiens of navy blue yarn is going to make a great poncho)

My hooks are on there way. I am almost done my second sock so that will be one more ball gone. I also finished a little scarf for one of Rhys's friends today. I used one ball of pink eyelash yarn (she is 2 years old). Then I started on a shawl today using two strands of yarn from two of my cones (erm...yes some of the yarn is actually CONES not balls:o )

Almost all of my hooks are turn of the century except for some Inox I have in smaller sizes.

I think that I will manage to get most of it used up. We are moving next summer and hopefully it is back to Canada so everything is getting shipped by boat. There are just so many things I want to make. Sigh.....

Rachel

Archived