The New Little House CAL, anyone?--List added

Tracey4610

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! Now that I'm taking the summer off from classes and am just about halfway done with this month's Charity Square-A-Long, I will be getting started on projects for this thread! I will be both crocheting and knitting, which I think is JUST FINE to post here, by the way! ;)

I am allergic to wool, but I have found one that doesn't give me the itchies or turn my hands red! I am thinking about making a plain shawl from it, but I can't decide if I will make it multi-colored or just in a solid one?! :think

I have a Little House crafting book coming from Amazon, and it should be arriving any day now! I'm hoping it will inspire me to make some other items! I did watch Little House the other day and I saw a closed granny square afghan on the chair behind Ma. I don't know if it was the angle of the camera or if it could have been the classic granny square, but it was different solid colors for maybe 2-3 rows and then trimmed with a few rows in black and then pieced together. They used a lot of basic colors back then, so maybe some muted centers would be called for to make this versus using the bright colored yarns we have today?!

I was kind of hoping that they would have made pony tail scrunchies back then, but I have only seen long ribbons in the girls hairs so far and what appears to be hair combs in Ma and the other women's heads. I don't remember seeing hair bands either, nor head kerchiefs like we make them today (the triangle ones are the ones I'm referring to).

One more item that I am thinking of is a tic-tac-toe board made out of red and black wool, felting it, and making felted pieces to play with. I'll have to see if checkers goes back that far as I don't remember seeing any reference to the game thus far. Any input here?!

For those of you who said you were going to see if we can post pics or recipes from this pioneer era, did you find out yet?! Let us know! :clap

LavenderBear: In fact, checkers was in existence then...Pa made a set in "On the Banks of Plum Creek" or in "By the Shores of Silver Lake"--I don't remember which. Also, in "The Long Winter," Pa would go to Fuller's store and watch the 'greybeards' play checkers during the blizzards. He made his board out of wood squares, half of which he charred in the stove and he alternated them to make a checker board. Then, he made the checkers the same way, only in circles (or did he use buttons? I don't remember...I'll have to look it up.). He taught Laura and Mary--or was it Carrie?--to play right after making it. So, yeah, go ahead and make your checker board! It applies!

Tracey,

Thanks for sharing this info! It's been awhile since I read the books, and I didn't remember those pieces! I may even make the set in colors other than black and red! We shall see?! Thanks again! :hug

Hi!

I was looking for books for me and came across this book called Heirloom knits. I think it is just for knitting but here is the address to the site: I bet'cha these were the kinds of heirlooms used in those days. The year states dating as far back as 1840.

http://www.crafterschoice.com/doc/full_site_enrollment/detail/fse_product_detail.jhtml?repositoryId=609798B107

Here is another one I found:

http://www.crafterschoice.com/doc/full_site_enrollment/detail/fse_product_detail.jhtml?repositoryId=698254B107

• 6 months later...

Let's not let this thread die! I simply must find the time to make my Caroline Ingall's shawl! Hmm...

As an aside, I'm hoping to receive some Little House books or books about Laura Ingalls Wilder for Christmas. My amazon wish list is loaded up with about 20+ books on that subject. Perhaps Santa has read my Christmas wish list! :yay

Well I did get a dress crocheted, but not the apron part yet. I guess I got bored with it. :blush

I should dig it out and finish it, eh?

Tina

No pressure. Enjoy the holidays...but if you ever feel inspired to share a pic, I think our thread needs it! I really must share some pics too. I always end up giving things away before taking a picture with my digital camera. Impulsive, I guess! I get all caught up in the moment and forget.

I'm hoping to receive the Little House books for Christmas...and if I don't, I'm going to buy them for myself. Then I can find something to inspire me from the book. So far, I have only watched all the t.v. shows and they are great for spotting crochet items (and knit). Ma's shawl is what I've been meaning to crochet for ages now. :blush

Well I did get a dress crocheted, but not the apron part yet. I guess I got bored with it. :blush

I should dig it out and finish it, eh?

Tina

Hey there Tina...just peeked at your blog. Your scrappy bears are so cute, and so is stripey bear. Good job! I love them. :manyheart

Thank you. Did you see my peppermint one? I love that one the best. :blush Oh, I guess you did (just re-read your post....

Hey there Tina...just peeked at your blog. Your scrappy bears are so cute, and so is stripey bear. Good job! I love them. :manyheart

Thank you. Did you see my peppermint one? I love that one the best. :blush Oh, I guess you did (just re-read your post....

Yes, the peppermint one is so cute. I ordered some books about how to make crocheted toys (as a Christmas gift to myself!). I think you inspired me. :crocheting

• 4 weeks later...

I watched Little House on the Prarie today... :P I've been watching it here and there (more than before, anyway).

Did anyone see this trailer? It is mostly about Almanzo, but still pretty cool.

I did look for my doll dress (which I had to finish the apron for), then I remembered that I frogged it soon after we moved here. :blush

Tina

• 2 months later...

Is/Did anyone watch the "Little House: Look Back to Yesterday" tonight? (I'm still watching it.) I figured it would have already been on everywhere else...

Tina

Has anyone ever visited the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum? I'd love to go someday. I used to watch the Little House on the Prarie all the time when I was a kid, and sometimes even now...

I am a huge fan! I actually went to Rocky Ridge Farm LOL! I knew more about her than the ladies working there. Also, near my home there is a orchard and the people who own it are distanct relatives of Charles Ingalls :)

When you ask if anyonw has went to the museum, what museum are you talking about? I grew up 15 min. from Walnut Grove and actually went to some school there as we were joined with them. I have also been to their pagent several times.

When you ask if anyonw has went to the museum, what museum are you talking about? I grew up 15 min. from Walnut Grove and actually went to some school there as we were joined with them. I have also been to their pagent several times.

I can't remember what one it was.... I get an email from them every now and then. I found it by googling Laura Ingalls Wilder. If I can find the little brochure they sent me, or if they email me a newsletter again soon, I'll let you know. They did have something about a pagent on there, though; I think.

Tina

• 1 month later...

Archived