The New Little House CAL, anyone?--List added

Tracey4610

While searching on the forum for something, I found this CAL: Little House

Is anyone interested in reviving or restarting this CAL with me? There are lots of things we could make, from rag dolls (using the one posted in Original Patterns, or making a cloth one and crocheting clothing for it), to scarves, to a nubia (I forget who made one here! :blush), to laces, to shawls, etc. One could even make a newsboy cap like Albert's from the show, or make some suspenders like Pa (Laura knitted a set for him for Christmas in Little Town on the Prairie). Perhaps an edged handkerchief like the one Ma gave Mrs. Boast in By the Shores of Silver Lake, or perhaps a Victorian-Style coat for those of you who are in the Southern Hemisphere (or anyone who wants to make one for next winter ;)). I'm actually working on a new mitten design that might work for this, as well. Perhaps some Irish lace items? (Yeah, I know, Tracey's a dork, what can I say?) Perhaps some granny afghans or a muffler, a muff, a fascinator, or some other such garment? There are some wonderful patterns at Antique Pattern Library, and Iva Rose has some great books she's selling at her site. (sorry, don't remember the links at the moment!)

So, what do y'all say? :bounce:2frog

Okay, so here's a list of things to work on from the various books, as well as the show:

From "Little House in the Big Woods":

Charlotte the Rag doll plus clothing for her

Red mittens for Laura, Mary, and their cousins

Ma's shawl

Ma's crocheted lace collar from the sugaring-off dance

Red and white mittens for Pa and Uncle Peter

Handkerchief trim

The China Shepherdess

Little House on the Prairie:

Hoods for little girls

Pa's scarf

--can't think of anything else, gotta read more

On the Banks of Plum Creek:

Laura and Mary's shawls

Ma's Plaid Red and Brown Shawl

Mary's wool coat

Dresses for Nelly's and Carrie's china-head dolls

A new Charlotte

Pa's "knitted" socks

--btw, does anyone have a recipe for vanity cakes?

Bowl covers to keep out grasshoppers (could be doilies with beads on the edges)

Crocheted "Paper" stars

Farmer Boy:

Alice and Eliza Jane's Shawls

Almanzo and the others' mittens

Eliza Jane's lace mitts and handkerchief

Almanzo and Frank's earflap caps with buttons

Almanzo's waistcoat

By the Shores of Silver Lake:

--Anyone have any input?

Valise bags (look like large carpet bags, I imagine)

Lace trim for the what-not

Dish-cloths/dish towels

The Long Winter:

Crocheted/knitted lace

Shawls

Hoods

Gloves

Stockings

Wool petticoats

Little Town on the Prairie:

Nubia of soft wool for Mary

Crocheted lace trim/edgings for underwear, skirts, etc.

Kitty's bed

Oranges (from Ben's party)

These Happy Golden Years:

Woolen veil (Laura wore one when traveling to Brewster's school)

Wool stockings

Shawls

Trimmings for linens

Laura's Wedding cake (can be baked or crocheted)

Ida's Handkerchief

Hat laces

Shelf edgings

Carriage Robes

The First Four Years:

--Gotta find the book...It's somewhere here in the house :blush

Baby items

On the Way Home (Laura's Travel Journal to Springfield, MO):

--Gotta find the book...

West from Home:

--this book was lost...Might have to order it

Other ideas:

Paletot

Sontag

Ma's Red Shawl

Laura's filet doily

Lace curtains

As I read, I'll input more. If anyone else has suggestions, let us know!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tracey, I would love to participate in this CAL. I'll go to the library today and get one of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books so I can get properly inspired. Just a little side note here: there are Little House on the Prairie books that are written about Laura's ancestors. Like her grandmother and great grandmother. They are not written by Laura herself and I don't know if they are completely fiction or if some of it is based on fact. But I thought people might want to look at those books for some inspiration also.

I just ran to my daughter's room to look for the author of those books. I didn't find it but I found this: "Little Town in the Ozarks" by Roger Lea MacBride.This is about Rose Wilder, Laura's daughter. They are written and illustrated in the same way Laura wrote her Little House on the Prairie books.

Yay! Glad to have you aboard, Karin!! :yay:yay And any of the Little House Books are fair game, including the Carolyn Years, the one series that takes place before that (Laura's Grandmother), and the Rose Years. Granted, this spans the better part of perhaps 1 1/2 centuries of handmade items, but any of it would work!! I am in the process of finishing a hand-sewn rag doll for my 1 1/2 year-old, and right now I'm hand-sewing its dress. After that, I'll crochet it a sweater, coat, socks, etc. I also have an 11" porcelain doll that was purchased at a thrift store for which I'm designing a vertical sweater (I plan to give this to dd someday!).

Looking around at the Antique Pattern Library, I found more ideas, such as a few coats from the 1850s, fascinators, a couple workbaskets, several reticules and handkerchief bags, etc. There are also lots of patterns for lace, which Laura was constantly knitting, and her friend, Mary Power was crocheting in Little Town on the Prairie. Also, if one goes to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Foundation's website, there's a pattern for a beautiful filet doily that Laura herself designed.

A few months ago, I read a post of someone who crocheted a nubia for a Little House Swap they participated in a while back. Perhaps if this person reads this post, maybe she'd be willing to share her design? (hint, hint!!)

Anybody else wanna join us?

Is this the nubia you are speaking of here?

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37827&highlight=Nubia

I looked at the doily pattern that Laura created and wondered if there is a book, or site, that has more of her patterns?

I know I'd be interested in making a shawl, something they wore quite often and something I enjoy making and wearing myself!

The original link you gave us in your first post said that Caroline wore a red shawl, but I clicked on all of the links (some are no longer available) and I didn't actually find that particular pattern. Do you know where it could be found?

I LOVE Little House trivia, crafting, cooking/baking, etc.! I doubt I will ever outgrow this love! How about you? And others?

This is going to be a FUN CAL! :yay

I got two books from the library: "On the Shores of Silver Lake" and "Farmer Boy." "Farmer Boy" is one of my favorites because of the wonderful description of food in it. I'm skimming/reading through "On the Shores of Silver Lake" right now and I've found a reference to a pair of mittens Laura and Mary knitted for Carrie for Christmas one year. Carrie called them her "fourth of July" mittens because they were made with scraps of red, white, and blue yarn. So I might make those for the CAL. I'll keep reading and see what else I find.

Hi everyone. How neat that you are interested in reviving the Little House CAL. I started watching the series again because I found the DVD sets of the t.v. series at Costco. This past Christmas, I finally finished my collection with the last 3 seasons and a set of made for t.v. Little House movies. I've watched all the way up in to season 8 and saw something interesting. Caroline (in the t.v. show) wears a beautiful rose colored scarf which I believe to be hairpin lace. I had to stop and rewind a few times to figure it out. But it's really a pretty scarf, very flow-ey and feminine.

I still want to make the red shawl that Caroline wore in the first few seasons (I think I haven't seen it in the later seasons). It's a basic triangle granny shawl in a pretty apple or cherry red yarn (probably wool?) I think I found a good match in the pumamouse sleuthing shawl:

http://pumamouse.com/crochetshawl.html

But I wouldn't put a border on it. Any other pattern that is similar would be a good match. But this pattern worked up fairly easy. I made it in a cream colored yarn for my grandma. I didn't have any red yarn on hand. I'm going to have to go buy some.

Thanks, Lavenderbear for inviting me back. Thanks Tracey for getting this going again. You rule!

Has everyone found a project to work on? I'm going to "officially" start once I send out my secret pal package this week. My unkown sp (The Shrone) sent me this gorgeous dark purple peruvian wool yarn, so I think I'm going to make a shawl from that time period, or maybe a coat (perhaps a coat with matching shawl? :think). I'm going to browse APL again to see what I can find. Looking forward to updates! Anyone else?:hook

Has everyone found a project to work on? I'm going to "officially" start once I send out my secret pal package this week. My unkown sp (The Shrone) sent me this gorgeous dark purple peruvian wool yarn, so I think I'm going to make a shawl from that time period, or maybe a coat (perhaps a coat with matching shawl? :think). I'm going to browse APL again to see what I can find. Looking forward to updates! Anyone else?:hook

I haven't completely decided what little house inspired item to work on first. One of my unresolved issues affecting my choice is whether my husband will let me buy some new yarn or not. I just got rid of a huge bag of yarn from my stash, and I was bragging to him about that. So he might be yarn-negative right now. :cry I want to make the red Caroline shawl. Tracey, your ideas sound really nice. The yarn sounds really pretty.

I had originally joined the original thread (LOL) but never actually did anything.... I would love to join (again) :lol, but I don't know what to make... I used to sew cloth dolls like the one on the Laura Ingalls Wilder online store, but.... my sewing machine is broken. Maybe I can find something else to do though.

Has anyone ever visited the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum? I'd love to go someday. I used to watch the Little House on the Prarie all the time when I was a kid, and sometimes even now...

Tina

"Farmer Boy" is one of my favorites because of the wonderful description of food in it. I'm skimming/reading through "On the Shores of Silver Lake" right now and I've found a reference to a pair of mittens Laura and Mary knitted for Carrie for Christmas one year. Carrie called them her "fourth of July" mittens because they were made with scraps of red, white, and blue yarn. So I might make those for the CAL. I'll keep reading and see what else I find.

My mom just gave me a copy of a Little House cookbook where the current day author created recipes for all or most of the foods mentioned in the little house books. Your comment about farmer boy reminded me of her saying something about Farmer Boy. She suggests that because Laura's childhood memories are of leaner meals than the memories that Almanzo had of his families abundant meals, she focused on food in glorious detail in that book. It's an interesting cookbook. Have you seen it? It's called "The Little House Coobook" by Barbara M. Walker.

Your idea for the mittens is such a cute one. Are you a knitter too or will you crochet them?

Here is the link for the Holly Hobbie doll pattern, that Felix Lake designed (I think someone mentioned that doll?) :think I keep wanting to call it the Hobby Lobby doll... :blush I might do this one (if you are going to print it out, be forewarned, it is 17 pages long..) Or if I can find some Barbie clothes that are 'prarie style'... I think I do have some in my Annie's Attic barbie doll clothes patterns...

Here is a rag doll sewing pattern (free), you have to download it I think. (It just opens a new window, it's not *downloading*... also has links for dress patterns on that page, too.)

Here is the link for the Holly Hobbie doll pattern, that Felix Lake designed (I think someone mentioned that doll?) :think I keep wanting to call it the Hobby Lobby doll... :blush I might do this one (if you are going to print it out, be forewarned, it is 17 pages long..) Or if I can find some Barbie clothes that are 'prarie style'... I think I do have some in my Annie's Attic barbie doll clothes patterns...

Here is a rag doll sewing pattern (free), you have to download it I think. (It just opens a new window, it's not *downloading*... also has links for dress patterns on that page, too.)

That is such a cute pattern! Thanks for sharing. Might have to try that too, and call her "Laura". Glad to see you also came back to the CAL! :hug

I have never visited any of the historical sites that Laura Ingalls Wilder lived at, but I have seen the web sites. The Ingalls family seemed to have moved around a lot. I think I have seen a couple different Web sites about it. And one of the DVD sets from the t.v. show has an extra bonus that is a documentary about a couple of the different historical sites. One I recall was where the house was on plum creek and Alison Angrim (Nellie Olsen) talks about visiting there and wading in plum creek. She said it actually did look like on the show which is strange because they filmed in California and the site was in Minnesota (???). When my daughter gets older, I might consider making a vacation if it could fit in somehow with our travels somewhere else. It's pretty far North though!

Susan,

Welcome back! :yay

I haven't decided for sure what I'm going to make yet! I was planning on a shawl, but now I may be leaning more toward one of the dolls!

My youngest daughter is getting married in three days, so I'll be busy with that for a bit. But I WILL be back to join in with you guys! :yes

Keep on posting and I'll have PLENTY to read when I'm able to be back here and get more involved!

Okay, I think I've found my pattern. It hasn't been mentioned in any of the books, but it's a garment from the 1850s (perhaps during the Carolyn Years). I picked a Paletot jacket from Mademoiselle Riego's Crochet Book, Ninth Series. I did some research on Paletots, and it turns out, they started out being a 3/4 coat or jacket, worn over Empire-style dresses. Eventually, the dress styles changed enough that the paletot was impossible to wear, the sleeves being too big and too wide to fit. Eventually, the paletot was relegated to being a type of cardigan to be worn indoors. Perhaps the real Carolyn wore one? Or perhaps a relative, maybe even Almanzo's female relatives. The paletot I am making is pictured on page 32 of the book. The waist looks a bit narrow, but I am to "fix" it so it fits a modern figure and be a useful garment. It looks rather comfy, I think. Also, there are hook and yarn adjustments for a young girl's or a child's version. When my dd is old enough, maybe I'll make her one ;). So far, it's easy. I'm already on round 21, and I'm absolutely loving this purple! (Thanks again, Lori!)

Oh, for Carolyn's red shawl, I've seen a couple different versions of it. In one episode, I saw a half-granny, and in other episodes it's a bit like a giant single chevron...If you give me a bit of time, let me see if I can figure it out for you. :hook

I found this site which has crafts and recipes you can print out. A dried apple sauce (which is just apple slices and a sugar/cinnamon sauce), and 'heart shaped Christmas cakes'~~ I want to make some of these. (Does baking count in the CAL?) Also, snow candy, and town party lemonade.

Here is a copy of a letter she wrote to a Jennie Lindquist later in life. It has her gingerbread recipe in it! :drool

I did see an apron for sale on one of the sites, and I have been wanting to make my own apron, too... :think

Tracey your link didn't work for me (maybe it's just my computer?) :think

Tina

Tina: I just checked it...Do you have a .pdf reader? The link sends you to a .pdf file...Sorry, I forgot to warn folks about that! :blush

I had to frog a few rows because I was working into slip sts when I wasn't supposed to. :sigh That's okay, though. I'd rather it turn out correctly than discover when I try to put it together that it doesn't work. :lol Oh well, c'est la vie!

I have the whole Little House Collection, and I also started to re-read Farmer Boy. Alice wore a cloak, and after further research, I discovered that another name for a cloak was a paletot!! Woohoo! So, I was right on the money! Also, Mother knitted lacy collars and mitts for Alice and Eliza Jane, and the girls both wore shawls. The whole family wore mittens and scarves, too.

I'm going to go back through the rest of the books to find more ideas to give others as they join us. I'll edit my first post and type up what y'all are working up, plus the ideas we come up with as we read, watch, and work.

Oh, and yes, recipes do count, I think!!

Hey, if we all enjoy this and keep this up, would anyone want to do a swap? I mean, like, after our first projects are done? (I'm definitely keeping my paletot!) I can put together a group with my gmail account, and we can do it there!! Just let me know what y'all think about it...It may have to come up later on down the line, but it will depend on if there's any interest or not.

Tracy- I do have pdf reader... don't know what is wrong... I can open some pdfs but not others? Maybe I need to upgrade or something. :think

A Little House Swap would be soooo much fun! I would join! :yes

I still haven't decided what I want to make yet. I am leaning towards a rag doll w/ crocheted accesories...

I want to bake the heart shaped cakes I posted the link for earlier, though, for sure. Probably tomorrow...

Tina

Here is another 'rag doll' type crochet pattern by Miss Maggie-- I think I am going to make this one! :yes Once I am done with the one I cut out to sew.... :lol

Also, I found this crocheted dress pattern that I thought would be cute for a 'prarie' type dress...

Tina

I finished skimming throught "On the Shores of Silver Lake." The only other project idea I got from that book (besides the 4th of July mittens) is to crochet an edging to put on the edge of a shelf. In the book, Mrs. Boast shows Ma and the girls how to make a what not (a three tiered shelf that fits in the corner of a room). She then cuts "pasteboard" into a scalloped edge to decorate the three shelf edges of the what not. I'm thinking I could use the edging on the shelves in my hall closet. I'll have to see if crochet pattern central has an edgings.

OH I want to do this. But I don't know if it's possible with all the other stuff I'm doing. If I get to something, I will post it here.

the more the merrier! if you find the time, I'd love to hear what you are thinking of making. :clap:welcome

Susan,

Welcome back! :yay

I haven't decided for sure what I'm going to make yet! I was planning on a shawl, but now I may be leaning more toward one of the dolls!

My youngest daughter is getting married in three days, so I'll be busy with that for a bit. But I WILL be back to join in with you guys! :yes

Keep on posting and I'll have PLENTY to read when I'm able to be back here and get more involved!

Thanks for the WB! Congrats on your daughter's wedding. When you are feeling recuperated from all the excitement, we'd love to hear what you decided on. I'm still waiting on new yarn...

Okay, I think I've found my pattern. It hasn't been mentioned in any of the books, but it's a garment from the 1850s (perhaps during the Carolyn Years). I picked a Paletot jacket from Mademoiselle Riego's Crochet Book, Ninth Series. I did some research on Paletots, and it turns out, they started out being a 3/4 coat or jacket, worn over Empire-style dresses. Eventually, the dress styles changed enough that the paletot was impossible to wear, the sleeves being too big and too wide to fit. Eventually, the paletot was relegated to being a type of cardigan to be worn indoors. Perhaps the real Carolyn wore one? Or perhaps a relative, maybe even Almanzo's female relatives. The paletot I am making is pictured on page 32 of the book. The waist looks a bit narrow, but I am to "fix" it so it fits a modern figure and be a useful garment. It looks rather comfy, I think. Also, there are hook and yarn adjustments for a young girl's or a child's version. When my dd is old enough, maybe I'll make her one ;). So far, it's easy. I'm already on round 21, and I'm absolutely loving this purple! (Thanks again, Lori!)

Oh, for Carolyn's red shawl, I've seen a couple different versions of it. In one episode, I saw a half-granny, and in other episodes it's a bit like a giant single chevron...If you give me a bit of time, let me see if I can figure it out for you. :hook

Hi Tracey,

That's interesting about Caroline's morphing shawl. I hadn't noticed that. Must look more closely the next time I watch through the seasons of the show. The paletot jacket sounds so neat. I love vintage patterns. You found a treasure in that online book. Thanks for the link! :ty

Archived