Lets Do A Round Ripple Together

I have always wondered how do you know when to change colors?

The Fibonacci sequence is one I've used often. The Fibonacci sequence is where the next number equals the sum of the previous two numbers in the sequence. For example: 0,1,1,2,3,5,8. I've used the 1,2,3,5 sequence many times.

I remember seeing this demoed on a Knitty Gritty episode. :think

The Fibonacci sequence is one I've used often. The Fibonacci sequence is where the next number equals the sum of the previous two numbers in the sequence. For example: 0,1,1,2,3,5,8. I've used the 1,2,3,5 sequence many times.

Oh wow! Crochet Dad ~ you don't start with just one row tho. When do you start the sequence? I mean, how far into a RR before you change colors? :think

Also, with the stripe generator....how would you use that for a RR? It asks for rows and other info you have to put in before it generates it.

Also, with the stripe generator....how would you use that for a RR? It asks for rows and other info you have to put in before it generates it.

I haven't tried a RR w/ the stripe generator yet, but IDKY you wouldn't just pick the # of diff colors you want to use, then the various widths you would like the stripes to be, & let it calculate. I did find the stripe generator is lacking in some color choices, so just substitue & use your own color. For example, I like to use verigated yarn as one of my colors, so I'll just pick an odd color & that will be my verigated stripes.

I admire People like Crochet Dad that can see the math formulas... I do much better w/ visuals, therefore the stripe generator will be my prefered method.

I use the 'hold it up and look at it and when it looks like it's time to change colors, I change colors' method! :rofl

I get all the colors that I'm going to use in one RR, put them in my skein holders and put them on my footstool. Then I just let the afghan dictate it's own color sequence. Not very scientific, but most of the time, the afghan turns out much different than I thought when I started, and usually better!

Oh wow! Crochet Dad ~ you don't start with just one row tho. When do you start the sequence? I mean, how far into a RR before you change colors? :think

Hi KLD,

I used it and faked it. I put the yarn colors in and the number of "rows" (rounds in my case ) I wanted my RR to be and just kept refreshing until I liked the sequence. You can change the colors too. If the pattern is too light add a dark color and so forth. I think I had to input the maximum amount of rows I would tolerate in one color before a change and also a minimum. It worked great for me because like you I need to see it as I cannot picture it in my mind. I am going to add a link to the generator I used. The same link is also over on "other crochet topics".

I bookmarked it!

http://www.kissyourshadow.com/stripe_maker.php

I haven't tried a RR w/ the stripe generator yet, but IDKY you wouldn't just pick the # of diff colors you want to use, then the various widths you would like the stripes to be, & let it calculate. I did find the stripe generator is lacking in some color choices, so just substitue & use your own color. For example, I like to use verigated yarn as one of my colors, so I'll just pick an odd color & that will be my verigated stripes.

I admire People like Crochet Dad that can see the math formulas... I do much better w/ visuals, therefore the stripe generator will be my prefered method.

Ditto what you said.

I thanked you for posting the link and I have sent happy thoughts your way every day for making my crochet life so much easier. :hug

"Random" is a piece of cake now! :rofl

So crochetdad you do one row of a color and then 2 rows of a color then 3 rows of a color then 5 rows of a color. and so on

No, I usually (but not always) start with several rounds of the starting color, then work into the sequence after that.

And the color changes aren't always in order...

For this one:

The colors were Taupe (light brown), Nutmeg (dark brown), and off-white.

I started with 5 rounds of off-white, then 4 rounds of taupe (this is an error (I intended to do 5) , 1 of white, 2 of nutmeg, 3 of off-white, 5 of taupe, starting over with 1 of white, 2 of nutmeg, and so on. This sequence worked well because I had less of the nutmeg yarn than the others, so I kept a 2-round limit on the nutmeg. As you can see, I've blocked the other colors between bands of off-white in the appropriate number of rounds.

So the sequence I used after the beginning color (off-white) was (or SHOULD have been :blush) 5,1,2,3,5,1,2,3,5,1,2 - so as you see, I didn't start at the beginning of the sequence, I started at the end and wrapped to the beginning.

No, I seldom start with one round of a color, then 2 of another color, then 3 or another color, etc. I try to get a feel for the colors I'm using and go with the feeling on how far into the RR before I start the color changes, that part isn't science, it has more to do with how I feel about the colors and how I want the colors presented.

I looked at the random stripe generator, but felt I didn't have enough control, so let it go.

I have always wondered how do you know when to change colors?

As others have said, it really is up to you really.

One of the things I do is make as many rows as the skein will make.

Another thing I do when using only two colors is start out with six rows of the first color, six rows of the second color and then 3 rows each alternated.

Really, it is absolutely whatever "moves" you at the time.

Oh my goodness!

I am late to the Round Ripple party :lol but I finally started my first one last night, and I can't believe I waited so long! I've only done 9 rounds but it's already so beautiful and fun that I foresee many more of these in my future.

I am using Crochet Dad's nine-point ripple pattern (thanks for sharing Gene!) and Caron One Pound in lilac and deep violet and I'm basing my rounds on the Fibonacci sequence (5, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 1, 1, 5...). It will be a baby blanket for my cousin and his wife and their new little girl. They're even bigger math geeks than I am - they both majored in it in college, where I only minored! - so I'm hopeful they'll catch the sequence. (I seriously considered using the digits of Pi, but maybe I'll do that on my next one!)

I have to share what they named their new little girl - Ariel! But no, she's not named after me. :lol I use a different internet handle for e-mail and contact with my family, so they don't know me as ArielManx. It sure cracked me up, though!

My most recent one is here. It was made with Lion Brand Pound of Love. And I really had no color change plans on it. I used the "ok, I'm tired of this color now, time for another" method :lol. I did want more lilac in that last round, but I didn't have enough, so it got shortened a bit.

My most recent RR is here. I had to 'girly up' the torquoise, so I added white and baby pink and put a double ruffle on. I have another one about halfway finished in blues and browns.

And you did a great job, too!:clap

Oh my goodness!

I am using Crochet Dad's nine-point ripple pattern (thanks for sharing Gene!) and Caron One Pound in lilac and deep violet and I'm basing my rounds on the Fibonacci sequence (5, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 1, 1, 5...). ...

Thanks, but I didn't write the pattern - it's Aggie Mays pattern, she has given me permission to redistribute it for her.

So, thanks Colleen!

My most recent RR is here. I had to 'girly up' the torquoise, so I added white and baby pink and put a double ruffle on. I have another one about halfway finished in blues and browns.

would you share how you did the ruffle?

would you share how you did the ruffle?

Cat, I wrote up the instructions for the border. If you would like them, just PM me and send me your email address. I would appreciate some feedback in case I didn't get it written down correctly. I gave away the blanket too quick! :oops

Haven't posted much here lately, but I have been making round ripples. Sooooo addictive !! Anyway, here they are. I actually made two in the yellow/white combination.

Both are going to charity.

Beautiful! I really like the yellow one, so bright and cheery!