Crochet Camp cost questions

Amy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to a stitching retreat, two days and it cost $400 plus. I didn't stay at a hotel as it was close to my home. The cost included all meals, all supplies for the projects, door prizes, and a goody bag. I had a blast, but it was definately a one time thing. I looked at the info to go this year but I just can't justify it. The person who organizes the retreats is soooo nice, and she keeps building it year after year, and many people will attend several in one year. Her company is called "stitchers hideaway" if you want to see more details, she has a web site. So I say, if you build it, people will come, but I would rather pay less and work on my own projects, than pay more and work on a project that I may never finish.

Laura

• 1 month later...

that seems rather high if you aren't staying at the hotel. Plus like it was stated you don't know what kind of classes and what not you are getting. I would say max of a price to attend something like that would be 100-200 but i mean just for the camp, not including anything else.

"Conventions" of this kind pop up several times a year, in several locations per year. If someone was planning a vacation anyhow, they might look into such an event and plan ahead, since they were going to spend the money on vacation anyhow. Also, people in town, or in neighboring states don't have to fly, so there's a savings on transportation. The larger hotels charge about $90 on average for a group rate, and you can double if with some pre-planning and share the expense of that. You can always eat cheaply too. Basically, it depends on whether or not it is worth it to you and if you can fit it into your budget.

i saw one of these that was a "craft cruise" and it was similar in price but it was a 4 day cruise, and you could bring your families for the price of the regular cruise fare if they werent going to attend the workshops and meet-n-greet designers etc

It would be so much fun to do this for crochet. My local library has a crochet circle each week and it's awesome but I love the idea of going someplace I've never been and meeting new folks who share the same interests.

One of my big ideas was to have an "online" get together. I personally really can't afford to go to say the CGOA conferences without putting it on a credit card so I thought we could do the same thing online. Sign up for the classes you want, get the time and go online. My other problem is that I am a penny pincher and even when we do have the money I just can't justify in my mind paying all that for a few days of classes. I'm not saying that the classes are or are not worth it (I've never taken one to have an opinion), I'm saying for me I don't want to spend say $600.00 for classes, $400.00 for a room, then there is food etc. So it would end up costing approx $1200 to $2000 for a conference and for that amount I would honestly rather just spend $500 on some really nice yarn.

Okay, let's say there were an event organized like this:

FRIDAY

Arrive and check-in

Dinner on your own

7:30 PM -- ???? Meet 'n' Greet

SATURDAY

Breakfast on your own

Class 1: 9 AM -- Noon

Lunch on your own

Afternoon:

• Free time to visit LYS if you wish
  • More Meet 'n' Greet and crocheting time
  • Speed crochet contest at set time
  • Enter your crocheted items in contest in different categories for Best of Show (wearables, accessories, home decor, and so on)

Dinner Banquet at 7:00 with fashion show with attendees modeling their stuff

After Dinner -- ????: Meet 'n' Greet and more crocheting time

SUNDAY:

Breakfast on your own

Class 2: 9 AM -- Noon

12:30: Closing Luncheon (announce winners of speed contest and Best of Show contest, award prizes)

You would be responsible for the meals on your own and your own hotel room costs.

What type of event fee would you pay for something like this that included 6 hours of class time (classes of your choice: 2 3-hour classes or 1 6-hour class), one dinner banquet, and a lunch?

Keep in mind that there would probably be meeting room fees for having a Meet 'n' Greet room available for so much time, even though no paid classes are taking place in it. So expenses for use of that room have to be built in to the event cost. There would also be expenses involved in bringing teachers in, unless they volunteered to pick up some of their own expenses (honorarium, travel expenses, hotel expenses, meal expenses).

Would $120-$150 seem reasonable?

Next question: At an event like that above, what types of classes would you be interested in taking?

Please let me know whether you think your suggestion is best suited for a 3-hour or a 6-hour class.

I would go for that price. Sounds reasonable to me.

As for the classes:

I would really like to learn to felt.

Umm... Maybe something different, like new ways of doing things or things that you don't use that often.

I really can't think of anythng.:blush But the camp sounds fun.

Oh, this is all purely hypothetical at this point! :)

But IF I were to ever plan something like this, I'd probably plan it for right here where I live. Makes it much easier to interface with hotels, LYSs, that sort of thing.

If people wanted to turn the trip into a mini-family vacation, there's plenty for spouse and kids to do in town, plus Chattanooga, Nashville, and Birmingham are each only 90 minutes to 2 hours away, with Atlanta being 4 hours away.

I will say we have a beautiful new Embassy Suites hotel downtown, which is right across from a beautiful little lake. (Huntsville's downtown is very picturesque, and is not a typical large-city downtown area.) I have put out some feelers to see how expensive it would be to hold this type of event there. I'll let everyone know what I hear back from them. Since it's a mainly business hotel, we might be able to get some good rates for planning a weekend event.

Where would this be located?

I'd like a class in beading: making jewelery and crocheting with beads,

especially making jewelry: necklaces, bracelets and earrings.

I have no basis to know if 3 hours is enough or if 6 hours is too much.

:manyheart:hug

That sounds like fun to me and I think $120 to $150 would certainly be reasonable. Personally, I'm in a tough spot and not likely to be able to afford it in the next year or so. But if DH gets a job you wouldn't be able to stop me if it's somewhere I can drive to in a day. I can get to Atlanta in 6 hours, not sure how much further away AL is.

When I was a member of the Paper Quilling Guild they would have a room set up with vendors that was fun for everyone to look at cut costs a bit.

Might want an option for folks who don't want to attend the classes.

Angie

I'd probably plan it for right here where I live.

Well that's only 523 miles away from me. ;)

If you ever do have the camp, I would be really tempted to go. If and untill then the Ville is good enough for me.

$120-$150 sounds very reasonable.

To compare it to the CGOA conventions in NH and Oakland..

Classes there run $70 for a three hour class and $140 for a six hour class. (That's assuming you're a member of CGOA).

The dinner banquet was another $50.

So your figures are a bargain.

The CGOA conventions seemingly only go to the East and West Coasts, leaving out the Midwest and South. Huntsville, AL is too far for the upper Midwest (Chicago, Minneapolis, etc). But I live in the lower Midwest (Cincinnati area), so it's only a day's drive for me. And it's a less than a day's drive for most in the South.

Let me know, and I start saving my pennies.

Just for an idea on driving times to Huntsville:

From Atlanta: 3.5-4 hours

From Orlando: 12-13 hours

From east coast of North Carolina: 13-14 hours

From Minneapolis: 16 hours

From Chicago: 9.5 hours

From Washington, DC: 11 hours

From New Orleans: 6.5 hours

Now, another issue is whether we could get good quality teachers to attend, and how much we'd have to pay them to teach 6 hours' worth of classes. Plus how much it would cost to pay their hotel, airfare, meals, etc.

I have no idea if anything like this would ever be possible to do for real. I'm just in "dream" stage right now.

$120-$150 sounds very reasonable, even kind of low. It sounds like it would be very fun and informative.

While you are in the "dreaming" stage...are there any local shops that would offer up their teachers, give coupons for a % off in their shop. Think of the business they could potentially get from the gathering.

Here in my part of Michigan is Mary Maxim, they have previously been active in shows around the community. Such as bridal shows, home shows, etc.

$120-150 sounds reasonable. I'd need a bit of notice to save my pennies. I'd also need to talk to DH as he'd need to drive (long story for another day). But if a good golf course or two is there he'd have more incentive (smile).

As far as classes, I'd be interested in hairpin lace, Tunisian, freeform and using beads in crochet.

Archived