Aloha!

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this awesome website tonight and I just wanted to join up and say Aloha!

My name is Kim and I live on the Big Island of Hawaii. I am a married mother of 3 girls, and cat lover. I was born and raised on the island of Maui. Hubby is in the military, upon returning from deployment, we moved to the Big Island to advance his career. I left my family and friends (my life) on Maui. It's been hard adjusting to life here without them, so I turned to a familiar hobby's to help me with the loneliness.

When I was 9, my much loved Uncle began to teach me to crochet. He died unexpectly a few days later, so I never was taught anything past a chain stitch and a single crochet. I was so devasted - I vowed never to crochet again.

But.. some 25 years later... I needed comfort.

Hubby was being deployed, my 3rd child was neglected by her babysitter, and my Moms health was failing. When hubby was in the thick of things... I broke down, and my family came to my aid. One night, at my Aunt's house (widow of beloved Uncle) she told me of how hard it was for her when Uncle was out at sea with the Navy. The many months without hearing from him was really hard on her. But, without fail, he would send her his beautiful afghans that he made. He always wrote a short love note about how he imagined her at home cuddled up in his afghan. It brought them both comfort. Ive seen his afghans at her house all my life - but I never knew he made them.

Soon I found myself crocheting agin, I went to the library to borrow books on techniques. I went to craft shows, and talked to crochters.. everyone helped me. My small connection with my beloved Uncle helped me through some tough times. He was always a comfort to me.

Uncle was my surrogate Dad. He rescued me many times in the short nine years we had together. I miss him greatly.

And now, 4 years after re-discovering crocheting, I seek comfort in crochet again. Seeking out some friends, and knowledge in crocheting.

I hope to learn more about this craft that has filled me with such love.

Thanks for reading... this very long post... I never had the chance to tell anyone my story. It seemed like this it the best place to share it.

welcome!

i just moved from Hawaii to north carolina, i'm originally from cali, we moved to hawaii for hubby since he is in the marines. I loved Hawaii and miss it dearly.

Welcome from Iowa!! :D

Crochet is my relaxation and it helps me unwind from the day's stresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived