How Do You Hold YOUR Hook?

How do you hold YOUR hook?  

793 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold YOUR hook?

• Overhanded (like a handle)
    • Underhanded (like a pencil)
    • Both or Other (explain? :) )

I've always held my hook like a pencil - it just felt natural to hold it that way the first time I picked one up. For kicks today I tried to hold it overhand but gave up after one stitch! Just did not work for me at all. :think

That said, I hold my pencil a little differently than most people, so my hook grip is a little different too. :devil

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hold it both ways and up til now I thought that was weird! :eek Was aware of the different styles, though... when my grandmother taught me, she said there were a couple different ways and showed me both; she's an overhander, but she holds it so close to the hook, right up above the flat part. I've always thought that was odd, and when I tried it like that, my hand felt too tense :ohdear

Once you find a comfortable position, the hook becomes like an extension :hook and that's all that matters

Strange as this may sound, I can do it either way. I usually do it underhanded, but when I'm doing something big like a scarf, I do it overhanded.

This poll absolutely shocked me! I crochet underhand (because mom taught me that way!) and thought everyone else did too:lol I was thinking that the ladies I get together and crochet with all do it underhand too...then I remembered that I helped most of them learn to crochet.:hook

I do overhand, but I wrap my fingers all the way around the hook.

Amen to that! I do as well. Kind of the way that someone without table manners holds their table utensil to eat. You know, the "shovel" method.

Most of my work is underhanded, but I'm ambidextrous and have been able to use both hands either holding my work or my hook. I have given preference to my right, but when it tires I switch to my left. I find underhanded works well on my right, and overhanded on my left...I know I'm WEIRD:D

My question is this... according to this informal poll, the majority of people here use the overhand hold in one form or another, yet all of the illustrations I've ever seen... well myabe 1 or 2 now that I think of it.. are underhand??

I do overhand, but I wrap my fingers all the way around the hook.

That's exactly like I hold it. :) And I need to add some pressure with my thumb and index finger. My thumb used to hurt a lot before I switched to those flat hooks.

• 2 weeks later...

I do both depending on the project. When I use the afghan stitch I do overhand. It is also supposed to be easier on the hands if you do it that way someone told me. Usually though I hold it like a pencil. I am really faster

at crocheting that way.

• 2 months later...

Like a pencil...I suppose my fingers already were comfortable with this position. I can go pretty fast this way. Overhand feels clumsy to me - less range of motion or something. Plus it feels like the way I was taught NOT to hold my fork as a child...

Archived