793 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold YOUR hook?

• Overhanded (like a handle)
    • Underhanded (like a pencil)
    • Both or Other (explain? :) )

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an overhander, holding the hook using all my fingers but in a very loose grip. I do not wrap my yarn around my fingers... never could get the hang of that... basically let it run through my hand with my index finger adjusting the tension. Since taking up crochet again in my older age I have had virtually no gauge issues.

I hold mine like a pencil, my mother taught me and my grandmother taught my mother... and i sometimes feel strained or numb. I tried overhand and i couldn't hook the thread.... But i'm gonna keep practising so that if i get tired doing the underhand i can just switch to the overhand.

I crochet with my toes, holding the hook with my right foot. I loop the hook over my second toe, and use my big and third toe to anchor the hook firmly, making sure the hook extends past my big toe. This technique is difficult and I'm still trying to master it, but it was taught to me by a great multi-tasker so that more important things can get done with one's hands.

Kidding! I'm a right-handed underhanded crochet hook holder.

Grinning ~ Joy

i hold mine underhanded, like a pencil!:cheer i don't remember learning to crochet but grandma, mom, my sis and i are all underhanders:manyheart ! i always thought overlanders were lefties.. my daughter is a lefty and she is an overhander :cat !!

i'm an overhander...yup good ol knife holder....tried the pencil hold a few times but my aim was bad and I couldn't get into the right stitch...I feel i have more control with the overhand...yup :)

Sounds odd, but if the hook is steel and i'm working with thread, totally overhand (knife), if the hook is alumium or plastic, underhand (pencil). The size of the hook makes a difference for me, dunno why ...

:hook:hook:manyheart:hook:hook

OH MY GOSH!

I thought I was the only person in the world to hold my hook "over handed"!

My sisters hold theirs the other way, which I thought was the "correct' way to hold the hook. It just never worked for me.

It's so nice to know I'm not alone. Sigh

What a boost for my self-confidence! lol

Underhand when I do intricate work and overhand for bigger projects since I get tendonitis w/ underhand and my wrist just get tired/sore with overhand.

I hold hook like a pencil...I was self taught and didn't know there were different ways to hold it...

If you think that's odd, you should see me try to hold knitting needles...which I hardly do anymore...Crochet is my true love.

Martha

i was thinking on it last night :yawn as i was working on my mile a minute afgan :hook ... bette davis crochets in loads of movies:knit and always held her hook underhanded!! so all us underhanders are in good company :D !!hey why is there a knitter and no chrocheter except the funky guy with the hook??:devil

I hold my hooks overhand but a lot closer to my palm than in the picture. I guess it feels more secure there, and perhaps like an extention of my hand, instead of a tool that I am using.

I haven't done thread crochet in a while so I cannot remember if I hold tiny hooks differently.

I'm yet another over-hander. I always thought I was doing it "wrong" too, but it's just more comfortable for me to hold the hook like a knife. I do, however, wrap the yarn around the fingers of my left hand, the way I was shown. That took me longer to learn than the basic stitches! :lol

Archived