Adriann

Thread/Yarn Sizes, 10= worsted weight?

8 posts in this topic

Is size 10 thread equal to ww? Aunt Lydia's denim says it is a worsted weight, size ten yarn. so can I substitute DMC traditions in patterns that call for ww cotton?

Thanks for any help.

Nope, size 10 thread isn't equal to worsted weight. It's a lot thinner than ww. DMC Traditions would probably use a size 7 steel hook, which is about 1.5 mm. Aunt Lydia's Denim suggests a size H-8 hook, which is about 5 mm, or nearly 3-1/3 times bigger than the size 7 steel hook.

Thanks for the quick reply ... so then how does Aunt Lydia's get listed as a size 10 crochet thread? Grrrr.

I know Aunt Lydias does make a size 10 thread, I bought some through Herschnerrs (sp?...can never remember where to put the double-r's!) and btw, love it, making a doily with some right now.

They also make the denim, which I've also used before, and I think that's the worsted weight one. Made a tote with that.

Sally

What is the thickest thread? Would that be size 3? And what weight would be closest to that, like a DK weight?

What is the thickest thread? Would that be size 3? And what weight would be closest to that, like a DK weight?

Bernat's Cool Crochet is listed as dk weight and it is the equivalent of size 3. I compared it in a store.