Slip Stitch (sl): Do you use back loop only or insert needle like regular sc?

Selune

Where do you insert the hook on your slip stitches?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you insert the hook on your slip stitches?

• Under the top two loops of the stitch.
    • Under the back loop only of the stitch.
    • Other.

Question

I've been trying to find information on doing slip stitches, since I tend to do them two different ways depending on what I'm doing. I've found that there are two different sets of instructions online.

1. says to insert hook as for sc, under the two top loops, yo, then pull through both loops.

2. says to insert hook in back loop only (so you'll insert in the center of the top two loops), yo, then pull through both loops.

Now, #2 looks a little neater in my opinion, because the stitch sits on top of the other stitch, but I have no idea which is "right."

So, where do you insert the hook?

I voted for option one but I have to say that it really depends on what I am making. sometimes you have fly by the seat of your pants to get what you want done.

well, sometimes I do back loop or front loop only if I am using the slip stitch as an actual stitch; but i use both loops if i am using the slip stitch to travel, ya know to get me to another place (like when completing a round for a granny square and starting next round). grins, debra

I chose other because I do both. Under 2 loops for strong joining, or under top (back) loop to retain integrity of design or as an edge. I have also used just front loop in places where I want to do multiples, and need the back loop for another section.

I voted "other". I always used to go under the 2 loops, never ocurred to me it was possible to do anything else. But recently I've been playing around to find what looks best, as sometimes it's too bulky with the 2 loops. It was very helpful to read what everyone else has written!

I've always used both loops unless the directions said otherwise. I'll have to play around and see which I like best. I'm a creature of habit so it never occurred to me not to use both loops.

annie

I used to always use only the back loop but hated the "seam" I got from it, now I'm using v1, I've found to make it easier when I ch3, I make the last ch b4 the next stitch slightly looser, makes it easier to join, and you can't tell when looking at the piece that it is larger

I use #1, and came here specifically today to ask how to work in the slipped stitches! Coz using v1 goes along the sides of my stitches and I can't work into them as I needed to for this pattern.

Might have to try v2.

I use both loops, unless specified "BLP/FLP only." Yes it does work on the sides of the stitch but I find that it works out in the end. Working in BLP or FLP only leaves a seam or unused loops, which might be good if you want to use them for a border maybe, but might be unattractive on the project you are working on.

I've been trying to find information on doing slip stitches, since I tend to do them two different ways depending on what I'm doing. I've found that there are two different sets of instructions online.

1. says to insert hook as for sc, under the two top loops, yo, then pull through both loops.

2. says to insert hook in back loop only (so you'll insert in the center of the top two loops), yo, then pull through both loops.

Now, #2 looks a little neater in my opinion, because the stitch sits on top of the other stitch, but I have no idea which is "right."

So, where do you insert the hook?

I use #1, and came here specifically today to ask how to work in the slipped stitches! Coz using v1 goes along the sides of my stitches and I can't work into them as I needed to for this pattern.

Might have to try v2.

The "traditional" way is to go under the bump in the back and not the loops. However, I've always done the back loop myself for a couple reasons: 1) it's easier and less frustrating the grab onto, 2) I prefer the flatter edge it creates, and 3) it's easier to grab that unused free loop when doing a trim/edging of some kind.

With that said, there are times where it's necessary to go the traditional route. A pattern might call for you to grab each row of free loops seperately, perhaps if you're making a flower for example and you're doing petals. I'm struggling to think of another example, but I hope you get my point. It really comes down to what YOU prefer.

I've been obsessing with this, really. From what I can glean from the billions of books I've just been through, when closing a round with a slip stitch, you go through the top "v" of the stitch, not under the top two loops. Then, on your next stitch, you go under the top two loops to the immediate left of the slip stitch you just made. However, obviously most people here just go under the top two loops of the stitch.

I'm going to have to take pictures of this process done both ways and see what they look like. :)

Hmm. Didn't know about the seams. I don't think I ever noticed the pattern before. :) I'll have to do up some swatches with both ways and see which looks better. You know, I wish instruction books were better with illustrations or written instructions so that those things were clear!! :)

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I've always gone thru both top loops unless the pattern states differently. When I create a pattern, I try to state whether it's both loops, front loop or back loop only. But it general I believe it means to use both the top loops of each stitch below.

It also depends on if you want a seam in your pattern (same goes with sc, dc, etc). If you use the top 2 loops, then you won't get a seam. If you use only 1 loop, then you'll get a seam either in front or back depending on which single loop you use. Using front loop only will create a seam behind the item, using back loop only will create a seam on the side facing you. Does that make sense?

I have always done the slip stitch through both loops but I don't like how it looks; it looks like one stitch is sitting on top of another which makes it look bulky.

If the backloop-only method is a neater way of doing the slip stitch I will try it that way next time.

Thanks for the tip.

I only recently found out that you are supposed to use both loops all the time. So of course I sl in the back loop only. I haven't gotten to a new project doing it through both loops yet. Maybe next week I'll be able to.

Archived