Fisherman's Wool

natalie058

So, after talking about this stuff earlier, I went to my Ja's tonite with the intention of buying some Fisherman's Wool from LB using my 50% off coupon, so I'd get 8 oz wool for $4.50. :woohoo

But then I started thinking about what I would actually do with it ( bad idea :irked ) and how I would dye it and what I would make etc - and i talked myself out of it!! :eek2

Of course I am kicking myself now, ( after wasting the coupon, by the way :U ) but I'm wondering about what you all have done with/plan to do with this yarn or something similar, so next time I go to buy I am well-prepared and follow thru with my purchase! :blush

That's a very good question lol. I've been eyeballing the two whole skeins that my little craft shop has and considering grabbing it but wasn't sure what to do with it if I did. I'll be watching this to see what ideas people have *g*

Well of course Fisherman's Wool felts beautifully, and you can dye it to just about any color you want using a variety of dyes. Kool-Aid, Wilton's Icing colors... I know there are more. You could make a fulled purse, hat, clogs... just about anything you could think of. Two skeins would make a tote bag sized bag. Read some of the posts here for ideas. :bounce

Felted hats, purses, tote bags, slippers, mittens -- a guild member recently felted scarves! She used a mixture of novelty yarns (eyelash, dots, those square FX things, etc) and a mixture of wools - then tossed them in with her felted mittens. Cool. (All of her mittens have some sort of novelty yarns at the cuff, too.)

I prefer :sheep wool for garments, so I think wool is ALWAYS a good buy! :*csheep

I think felted scarves would be so cool... Lately I have also been thinking about a felted poncho...the idea I have in my head is reminding me of those riding blankets that go under saddles and are ofter found in SW-ern decor? I know it would take a WHOLE bunch of wool, though, and it might not be very soft, but it would be soooo warm...

Another thing about this stuff. Do you dye before you crochet or just toss the finished item in to dye? Any clues on how I could get a multi-colored or varigated strand of yarn?

Another thing about this stuff. Do you dye before you crochet or just toss the finished item in to dye? Any clues on how I could get a multi-colored or varigated strand of yarn?

I've always dyed it before knitting/crocheting. I like the kool aid in the microwave method but it makes the house smell like cherries, vinegar, and hot sheep. :sheepjump

I've always done variegated because I dye with my kids and they like colors. There are some terrific instructions online with a chart which shows all the different shades of kool aid. (I use kool aid because it's safer for kids, but I hear that procion (sp?) dyes do a wonderful job.) You make the wool into a long "hank" and spread it out on the bottom of a microwave safe dish. (After wetting it.) We mix it up in separate measuring cups and then pour the colors where we want and microwave.

I have seen some really cute soakers which were tie dyed after they were knit, sort of the way you'd tie-dye any premade item.

I'm rather fond of the pickled grape & wet sheep smell, myself. Other residents of the house aren't so fond of it, yet they paw my freshly dyed yarn as if it's a work of art.

Dying 2 skeins - both stove and microwave

(indoor pictures are rather poor)

Archived