Pattern Release - Hawaiian Motif Handbag!

NexStitch

I guess a little bit of both. How do you find your inspiration, then drawing it out on paper and finally finding the right stitches to do it.

Well, I teach Art, so I'm always drawing. :) The inspiration is a tough one to answer. I get inspired by so many things. It could be a color combo and what it reminds me of (in this case, those colors reminded me of old Hawaiian shirts. I had that in mind as I was creating the sketch). It could be the shape of something. It could be a stitch I saw somewhere. It all depends on the project.

I'm always online searching for images of things. For this, I went out and researched hawaiian flowers and leaves. I've worked in this theme before doing lesson plan stuff, but I wanted to make sure I got it right. Once that was down, I searched for handles that would work. I thought the darker handles made from natural materials would work well with the color combo.

As far as stitching goes, each stitch takes up a certain amount of space. Just working with that knowledge alone, you can create anything that's sculptural, like the flower. If you want something to look taller, use a taller stitch (tr, dtr, trtr), or lower use a smaller one (sl st, sc, hdc, dc).

I hope that helps.

I knew I had seen this bag somewhere. I was looking for it earlier today, in fact. I thought it was a free pattern but my mistake. Still love it!!! And just bought it. Will make a great summer purse! Can't wait to get started on it.

Post a pic when you're done. I'd love to see it! I need one for the customer Gallery on my site.

Well, I teach Art, so I'm always drawing. :) The inspiration is a tough one to answer. I get inspired by so many things. It could be a color combo and what it reminds me of (in this case, those colors reminded me of old Hawaiian shirts. I had that in mind as I was creating the sketch). It could be the shape of something. It could be a stitch I saw somewhere. It all depends on the project.

I'm always online searching for images of things. For this, I went out and researched hawaiian flowers and leaves. I've worked in this theme before doing lesson plan stuff, but I wanted to make sure I got it right. Once that was down, I searched for handles that would work. I thought the darker handles made from natural materials would work well with the color combo.

As far as stitching goes, each stitch takes up a certain amount of space. Just working with that knowledge alone, you can create anything that's sculptural, like the flower. If you want something to look taller, use a taller stitch (tr, dtr, trtr), or lower use a smaller one (sl st, sc, hdc, dc).

I hope that helps.

Thank you for the inspiration. At some point I will try this.

I really like this purse! And my mother is a purse fanatic. (Me, I've got one black, one brown and one beigey for summer — that's it.) Mother would love this. I think your color choices are exactly right. Blue and orange are opposites on the color wheel but you chose tints/shades (never do remember which term to use!) of them to be soft looking and springy. Excellent!

I just finished this bag and I love it! I couldn't match the yarn or colors, so I used a blue wool-ease for the bag and red heart for the flowers! It turned out great:)

Kim

I hope that helps.

I do actually have something that has inspired but I got to wait until both my afghans are done. Is there a granny square pattern that would start with a 2-3" circle in the center and venture out to a square. I have these pillows I found at the bonton with squares in a row and circles inside the squares. I was going to create an afghan to match the pillows only the squares on the afghan would be bigger.

Archived