"rastor" layer?? what are these layers?? help!!

leesespieces

okay... i've been playing with paint shop pro and i still feel like an idiot. what i mainly don't understand is the different layers of the image and how to use them and whatnot.

also, if i have a little image that i want to basically use like "wallpaper" in the background of an image, how can i do that??

Hi!! We have Paint Shop Pro also, & I'm wondering if you're talking about making a small picture into a button???

please don't feel like an idiot, it is just that both of us need to learn more, & I know that when you open the paint shop pro, you can click on help, and there are help topics, that have understanding layers, & everything that paint shop pro is all about,

If there is anyone that can help both of us, please do, please:yay :hug

1) layers can be either 'raster' or 'vector'. Raster layers are made up of pixels. So any photos etc are raster. Vectors are made up of points connected by lines. When you have a vector layer you can make it bigger without getting 'jaggies' like you would with a raster layer, because PSP will draw a new line between the points. Text and shapes that you add in PSP will be composed of vector layers. You can convert a vector to a raster, but not vice-versa.

2) yes, you can tile an image like wallpaper as the background of your image. Here's how:

Open your new image and the image you want to use as the tiled background. Select the 'fill' tool (paint can) and in the options on the right, just below where you pick the fill colour, you can select 'color', 'gradient' or 'pattern'. Choose 'pattern' then double click the pattern that fills the colour box (probably leopard skin is the default). You should be able to pick from a whole load of patterns, but the first patterns on the list will be your open images, so select the image you want to tile, then click OK. When you use the 'fill' tool on your image, instead of filling it with a solid colour as usual, it will tile your wallpaper image.

Hope this makes sense - PM me if not :)

what i mainly don't understand is the different layers of the image and how to use them and whatnot.

Layers are really simple once you figure it out.

They are like making a sandwhich.

Your background layer is the bread. Every new layer is like adding a piece of meat or lettuce or cheese, or whatever. Alone, each is okay. Together they make something better.

You can add everything to one layer but you can't move them around. Like if you buy honey bread. The honey is already in the bread and you can't touch it. If you buy plain bread and add honey on top, you can put it where you want and how much or how little you want.

So you start out with a new layer. For me using raster layers was easier to learn, until I got the hang of it. Plus you usually can't add or change things until you've rasterized the layer, inculding fonts/text.

You can make a background the way planetjune said. Or you can make a copy of your picture and mak layers on it. It depends on the look you want.

Make a copy by having your picture active, then push your shift and "D" keys at the same time. Close or minimize your orginal copy. NEVER use the orginal. In PSP it changes the orginal for good. I learned the hard way.

Now click "layers" tab, then click "new raster layer".

You'll get a little pop up window. There's a place to name this new layer. Name it. It's much easier if you name your layers. Name it whatever you're going to put on this layer.

Later if you don't like something or want to move it a little, you click on your layer's pallet then can find the thing you want to move, click on it and that layer is active. You'll also be able to drag that layer above or below other layers depending again on the look you want.

If you yahoo/google psp tutorials, you'll get lots of returns and find something with photos that'll help you. Doing that and playing is how I learned.

I hope that helped some. Please feel free to post anymore questions. :)

thank you guys, i feel way like way less of an idiot now! lol. i played around with it last night and managed to get what i consider a decent banner for someone who had no idea what they were doing LOL. but now maybe i can make it better with your explanations =) and you all will probably be hearing from me soon LOL cuz god knows i'll think up something else i wanna do and won't have a clue. =P

Archived