Giant Bobby Square Lapghan

StephanieD

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely wonderful! I love the simplicity. :bow

Would you be able to write up the pattern adaptation (giving credit to the square designer)? I would really like to make this. :hook:ty

I'll see what I can do...I've never written a pattern before, but I'll try. :)

Both the colour and your version of the pattern are perfect. This is one of the few crochet items I have seen that is totally masculine. Your Grandfather is going to be so happy.

:yes That's exactly what I was thinking. What yarn did you use? I'm sure your grandfather will treasure this!! :c9 You did a wonderful job.

I haven't had any luck with finding the pattern author. I contacted AmyS and I wouldn't be able to post the pattern modifications without the author's permission. I do suggest that those interested in making the lapghan try the square. Once you start working the square, the logic will become clear and you should be able to continue it. Good luck! :)

That's just excellent! Seeing it done like this, I want to make one like it. Can you tell me how many skeins of yarn you used, and how many ounces were in the skeins? I think I saw that you had said you used Aran Fleck. Is that a color that comes in 5 oz skeins, or in 7 oz?

That's just excellent! Seeing it done like this, I want to make one like it. Can you tell me how many skeins of yarn you used, and how many ounces were in the skeins? I think I saw that you had said you used Aran Fleck. Is that a color that comes in 5 oz skeins, or in 7 oz?

It came in 5oz skeins and I used about 8 skeins. :)

Also, I was able to get permission from the pattern author and AmyS to post my modifications here on the message board. So, once I get it written out, I'll post it for those who requested it. :)

Hi Stephanie

Just thought I'd drop in and offer my compliments along with all the others. The Bobby square is my all time favorite too .I never would've thought to do it like you have -- I am lousy at trying to make up designs in my head or changing patterns to make them different .

Anyhow, wonderful job and I am excited to see your pattern once you get it posted. I think I get what you mean -- you just start it like the pattern suggests, but when you get to the point where you bring the lines back together, then you start bringing them back out again ?

See, I can't even explain it on here the right way . :lol

Anyhow, great work, and did anyone ask yet how big it turned out ?

Hi Stephanie

Just thought I'd drop in and offer my compliments along with all the others. The Bobby square is my all time favorite too .I never would've thought to do it like you have -- I am lousy at trying to make up designs in my head or changing patterns to make them different .

Anyhow, wonderful job and I am excited to see your pattern once you get it posted. I think I get what you mean -- you just start it like the pattern suggests, but when you get to the point where you bring the lines back together, then you start bringing them back out again ?

See, I can't even explain it on here the right way . :lol

Anyhow, great work, and did anyone ask yet how big it turned out ?

Thanks Julie! No one has asked how big it came out. It turned out about 50 inches square. :) Also, I get you what you mean about the pattern and you are right. You follow the pattern through row 10, and then you just start making the diamonds again...You just keep on making the pattern until you think it's big enough and then I did the border according to the original pattern. I hope that made sense. LOL

I'm making this in light blue for a co-worker who's expecting a baby boy next month............I'm almost finished.........the pattern calls to chain 4 in the corener but the holes were just a little too big for my liking so I made chain 3's instead. It works up very quick and Steph is correct, it's very easy to figure the pattern and continue the square.

Thanks for the great idea Steph!!!!

i have been wanting to make my dad a lapghan and this is going to be the one. and i may just make this my standard baby blanket pattern instead a big granny. The main reason i never make afghans is because is dislike putting the squares together. since i have been here i have seen that there is no need for that ever again. too many wonderful ways to join without it.

Where is the original pattern for the square that you adapted the pattern from? Is it in a book, or on the internet? I'd like to attempt my own adaptation of the square.

ErinLindsey - see StephanieD's link in her first post.

StephanieD - I think I'm going to make that ghan too - it is beautiful! Very elegant for a man or a woman. You've inspired a lot of us here...

Where is the original pattern for the square that you adapted the pattern from? Is it in a book, or on the internet? I'd like to attempt my own adaptation of the square.

Ann is correct, I posted the link in the first post, but here it is in this post too: Bobby's Square

But sure to post pictures of what you come up with! :)

Ann is correct, I posted the link in the first post, but here it is in this post too: Bobby's Square

But sure to post pictures of what you come up with! :)

Cool! An excuse to go yarn shopping!! yay!! (because all I have in my stash right now is scrap)

You might have answered this question already, but how many skeins (and what yarn) did that lapaghan take?

I think I want to try this in either a blue or green color.

Cool! An excuse to go yarn shopping!! yay!! (because all I have in my stash right now is scrap)

You might have answered this question already, but how many skeins (and what yarn) did that lapaghan take?

I think I want to try this in either a blue or green color.

I used about 8 skeins...they were 5 oz with 260 yards. The was Red Heart Aran Fleck. :) I think it would be beautiful in blue..can't wait to see it!

I used about 8 skeins...they were 5 oz with 260 yards. The was Red Heart Aran Fleck. :) I think it would be beautiful in blue..can't wait to see it!

I wonder if Red Heart still makes the Navy Fleck? (havent seen any for awhile) I did an American flag in Navy Fleck, Aran Fleck and Burgundy Fleck once, and really loved those particular shades...I might have to go searching for either the Navy or Burgundy colors. I think it would cool in the burgundy with the navy fleck as an edging...

any excuse to go yarn shopping!

Archived