Hook Size

This may be a goofy question, but I've really enjoyed collecting wood hooks made by different people...however, none of them have their size on them. Is there a nifty hook sizing tool out there that would tell me what size what hook is so that I can be sure I've grabbed the right one when I go to start a project? I have one of those tools from lion that have th holes, but sometimes the hook itself is bigger than the shaft, so it won't go through the hole? Does that make sense? :think Anyway...just wondered if there was a measuring stick for hooks that I could be directed to?

Many years ago I had a tool that had holes on one side for knitting needles and holes on the other for crochet hooks. It was even marked with a small ruler in order to check gauge. Over the years I'm not sure where I put mine and I've been looking for another but have been able to find one. All I can find is the one for knitting needles.

I did a google search and found this so far:

That's the kind that I was trying to explain that I had. On wood hooks though, it seems like sometimes the circumfrence of the hook is bigger that the shaft that you would want to measure...same thing would occur with the handle part of the hook...hope that makes sense. Maybe I'm just making it to hard?

You could always do what I do - I hold it up and compare it to my Bates hooks . If you hold 1 in front of the other and see color from the back then the wooden hook's smaller and measure it up against the next size up.

I know it sounds dorky but it works.

also I have a leather stamp kit that has letters and numbers when I get a new wood hook if it isn't on there I stamp it in the top of the handle so I know what is what.

A permanent marker will do also jsut a little more noticable from the stamp.

Archived