Size Question for Mothers with Infants

LaurieE

Question

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in so admins if you need to move it to a different one, feel free.

A co-worker is having a baby and I want to make a layette set. I'm doing one of the patterns in Leisure Arts Baby Layettes to Crochet Leaflet 2488. I started with the sacque but it looks really big to me. I double checked and I'm working at gauge. The pattern is for a 6 month old.

Would a mother with an infant please measure around your baby and let me know how many inches it is so I can figure out if this is sacque is too big or not?

Thank you.

7 answers to this question

Maybe I've just been working with preemie stuff so long, but this sacque looks huge for a 6 month old baby.

My co-worker is due in September which is still hot for Florida. I wanted to make a sacque, hat, booties, and afghan for when it's cooler in Florida about November/December. That would put the baby at about 3 months of age.

I had very large babies (10 lbs at birth) so it's difficult for me to judge what size the baby is going to be in relation to our weather.

I'm about ready to rip this out and start over with another pattern.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem when making stuff for a friend last summer. Mom put it the best: they'll fit it eventually.

She had a very L O N G baby. The sweaters fit great. The arms, not so much. You can't plan on stuff like that.

:oops She's right. Tell your mom she's a very smart woman. Thanks for putting it in perspective for me. I can lower my stress level now. :)

I always buy/make stuff at the six month size; you never know how big a newborn could be! And if it's too big, like Mom said, they'll grow into it.

And with how weird the weather has been lately, who knows when it'll get cold in Florida...

For a 6 month old, they'd want room to kick their feet and wiggle room. The arms are no problem because they can roll up if necessary. My daughter and son were 21 inches long at birth, and about 28.25 at 6 mos and 30 at 9 mos and slightly more at 12 mos. Hope this helps.

Archived